5 channel amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 channel amp?

Are they worth using? I wont be needing much power.

My polk speakers only need about 60-70 rms at 4 ohms and my sub wont be needing more then 300ish. I'll be using a memphis sub

I've never used a 5 channel before, should I just use one amp for speakers and one for the sub?

A good quality one is a great choice.. It will probably end up being cheaper then two decent amps and you end up with a complete and clean install.

link

Comment

I feel dumb for asking but would I need a 4 ohm sub so everything is running 4 ohms? Also would it matter if it was dual or single voice coil?

Comment

That amp is
        420 watts x 1 chan. at 2 ohms
        210 watts x 1 chan. at 4 ohms

So you can run pretty much anything

SVC 2ohm sub
        SVC 4ohm sub
        DVC 4ohm sub
        DVC 2ohm sub

And of course you could run two around 210 watt rms 4 ohm subs

ETC............

Comment

If I were to run new wires from the amp to the speakers what would I do with the stock wiring? Would the headunit still be trying to send out power to the wires or would it stop once the RCAs are connected?

Comment

Originally posted by apuforyou
            If I were to run new wires from the amp to the speakers what would I do with the stock wiring? Would the headunit still be trying to send out power to the wires or would it stop once the RCAs are connected?
            If the radio was really high end you could turn off the internal amplifier.. But yes with almost every radio it would still output but it would not affect anything as long as they are taped up

Comment

we have one here at work, its a kicker 5 channel...since its over a year old its dirt cheap...its like 220 bucks hehe (kkr06700.5)

its like 50 watts rms x4 and i think either 300 or 400 for the sub.

most 5 channel amps doesnt yeild alot of power rms wise....yet the directed d2205 amp has hecka power for the money.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

i noticed u mentioned a memphis sub u know memphis has to kick ass 5 channel amps the baby belle and the memphis belle... both dont some pretty nice power and are great amps!
                Members Ride sold...
                I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

plus i just noticed ur mentioned power .... ummm i run a memphis 2004 mclass amp and its rated to do 50x4 which my deck is a 50x4 max but yet my memphis amp is way bigger.... because it actually does 50+ actually.

i have half of the amp power my tweets and the other side power my mid bass..... plays really loud for a 6.5 comp set...
                  Members Ride sold...

Comment

I was looking at the alpine pdx-5 since its so compact with plenty of power, about as big as a sheet of paper... lol The speaker connections look weird though

Comment

I think this is true for all 4-ch and 5-ch amps:
                      Technically they are separate amps in there, i.e. a 5-ch will have 2 2-ch amps and a 1-ch amp all in the same case.

If you run new speaker wire you can disconnect the speaker wires from the headunit if they are no longer needed.
                      Gary A.K.A. Carter
                      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by apuforyou
                        I was looking at the alpine pdx-5 since its so compact with plenty of power, about as big as a sheet of paper... lol The speaker connections look weird though

comes with quick disconnects..

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                          I think this is true for all 4-ch and 5-ch amps:
                          Technically they are separate amps in there, i.e. a 5-ch will have 2 2-ch amps and a 1-ch amp all in the same case.

If you run new speaker wire you can disconnect the speaker wires from the headunit if they are no longer needed.

actually its 1 4 channel amp and then a mono block amp for the sub.... u had the right idea ... just one less amp.

and for the speaker connects on that amp like one said before its for quick disconnects.....
                          Members Ride sold...

Comment

Originally posted by loud92CB7db18
                            actually its 1 4 channel amp and then a mono block amp for the sub.... u had the right idea ... just one less amp.

and for the speaker connects on that amp like one said before its for quick disconnects.....
                            actually this is completely subjective lol... I say it's just one big amp. You don't call a 4ch amp an amp with 4 separate amps, just 4 different channels.

Elemental designs has a 5ch amp, actually they are discontinuing it due to upsizing and having to redo some of their lineup. Pretty flippin sweet for the price, kills anything mentioned yet. The front channels and rear channels are entirely separate from each other, so it could be like 2x2channel, which is why trying to figure something so useless like this out doesn't really help anything here lol

350$ for
                            4x 100 at 4 ohms
                            4x 175 at 2 ohms

sub
                            1 x 250w @ 4Ohm
                            1 x 450w @ 2Ohm
                            1 x 600w @ 1Ohm

those are good numbers ! and underrated at that

Nine.5
                            My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment