Tomorrow's Project: Clay bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow's Project: Clay bar

First attempt at using a Clay bar.. Sounds pretty straight forward but, time consuming.. Anyone have any tips or suggestions about using this stuff? Later

ask type g

Comment

Don't drop the bar on the ground, if you do, you'll have to toss it or risk things like dirt and sand turning it into sandpaper. Re-knead the bar often. I hold the lubricant in one hand and the bar in another. I just using it until the paint feels smooth to the touch, then I wash the lubricant off with the hose and wax.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
      where you been, is something wrong?
      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Cut the bar into 2-3 pieces before you start, so that if you drop a small piece you won't waste a whole bar. Just remember to keep the area you're working lubricated and you should have no problems.

Comment

Alright, thanks for the quick replies.. Sounds like keeping the surface lubricated and not dropping the bar is key.. Later

Comment

what kind of wax are you using right afterwards??

Formerly 91AccordExR33
            11.68 @ 127mph
            417whp/375wtq
            Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Water works just as well. just dont get it too wet or the clay bar will feel soggy. First time I clayed my car for about 2 hours or so around every inch of the car I found out I had flake in my paint lol. Before I couldnt see it. Oh yea and my first bar was like half gray lol.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                Water works just as well. just dont get it too wet or the clay bar will feel soggy. First time I clayed my car for about 2 hours or so around every inch of the car I found out I had flake in my paint lol. Before I couldnt see it. Oh yea and my first bar was like half gray lol.
                Just using plain water is bad since it has nothing to lubricate. a quick detailer works great or some soapy water if you have nothing else to use.

Comment

the mothers showtime instant detailer that that bar comes with is good stuff

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                  where you been, is something wrong?
                  i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                    Water works just as well. just dont get it too wet or the clay bar will feel soggy.
                    The directions that came in the Claybar kit say "DO NOT USE WATER OR OTHER UNAPPROVED LUBRICANT!" lol but they are just trying to get you to use and purchase their products..

Originally posted by 91accordexr33
                    what kind of wax are you using right afterwards??
                    Here is everything I have...

Everything shown above, except for the big circular can of wax came in the claybar kit.. I spent just over $15 for everything pictured here.. The Claybar kit was on sale at Walmart for $10 and the Wax was on sale at advance auto for $5.. So with tax it was around $16.50, or so, for everything.. Later
                    Last edited by MadSpleen85; 09-02-2007, 04:01 AM.

Comment

thats koo

i think the can of wax is the same as the small bottle that came with the clay bar kit

you will be fine on the products you have, however i strongly suggest a Mother's sealer glaze and PURE carnuba wax. the sealer gives a good depth to your paint. i used about 2-3 coats of sealer

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                      11.68 @ 127mph
                      417whp/375wtq
                      Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Originally posted by 91accordexr33
                        i think the can of wax is the same as the small bottle that came with the clay bar kit
                        Yes it is.. I was planning on just waxing today, so I had already purchased the can of wax. I saw the Claybar kit on sale, later in the day, and couldn't resist... Later

Comment

16.50 for all of that?? thats kinda cheap.

Sadly, we dont get any mothers stuff in this part of the world tho.

But i got the PPS on my car.

Good luck with the claying bro

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
                          Honda Accord Euro-R
                          Honda Odyssey Absolute
                          Honda City I-DSi
                          Honda Stream

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard335
                            16.50 for all of that?? thats kinda cheap.
                            It is pretty cheap... The Claybar kit alone is usually right around $14-$15..

I am just heading out to the garage to get started.. I hope to get done in time for at least a few pics.. If not I have all day tomorrow for pics.. Later

Comment

http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=960

i really wouldn't recommend water as a lubricant. the clay bar is abrasive, but not abrasive to your paint when used properly. it works by shearing and wearing away contaminants, and then suspending them in the clay.

the cleaner wax is a good product to use if you don't have lots of time. it has very fine polishers that are designed to maintain the finish rather than wear it away and a light chemical cleaner, plus carnauba wax.

i like to use clay and the 3 step. 1) per-wax cleaner. 2) sealer and glaze. 3) pure carnauba wax.

i usually clay once a year, do the 3 step, and then every 2 months i apply sealer and glaze and pure carnauba wax. later.
                              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Working...
                              X