Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Slight dirt film from plastic headlamps..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Slight dirt film from plastic headlamps..

Well i heard of a good plastic polish PlastX (ty ztech) but i wondered if claybar would remove that shit too, would i have to buff it also to get it back to normal non slight dirt film... wondering if anyone did it before,

Well meguiars makes plastic polish. I think the claybar would take some dirt off but thats just a guess. I wouldn't buy a claybar just for that. If you already have one claybar than meguiars plastic polish.

If that dosent work I'm sure goo gone will take off hard to remove dirt.

www.SnowSuperStars.com

Comment

welp...the cleaner works...but im not exactuly sure...claybar will get it smooth but if its dull then the polish will help more. u can do both for great results and then do ur new car with the claybar...trust me u wont regret it...
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

clay em, and then if you have some good wax (i've used the meguiars 26), you can use that to seal it up, this works really well, i've also found the 3m mulitistep plastic cleaner and polish to be reccomended by a lot of people

Comment

Claying will work wonders, the stuff is tacky.

If the surface of the plastic has pits/milky from discoloration, you could resort to some 2000 grit wet sand, you'll have scratches all over it but don't fret...follow that with some 3M Fine-Cut rubbing compound (it comes in liquid form), lastly you can use your favorite fine polish ( I used Zaino Z5).

I used the above method to remove the painted on 'Bird' on the rear panel of my Firehawk. The panel is plastic too so I don't see why this method wouldn't work with headlights either. But try it at your own discretion.
          Last edited by Mike 01Hawk; 11-20-2003, 07:49 PM.

332.3rwhp 348.9tq SAE
          13.7452 @ 103.54 w/ 2.2443 60ft
          Needs website updated badly!

16.168 @ 86.29mph w/ 2.487 60ft
          Trick love the kids!

Comment

now,, would just running an orbital buffer over the headlamps a lil bit to kinda melt the film away and then polish work?
            because im really uncomfortable with sanding because its gonna end up looking like a plastic dragged across the ground and ima have to spend 500 bones on new or JDM headlamps. and i dun really wanna fuck em up cus theyre good just the film is so slight it dont show up unless the light is on its weird..

Comment

dude try that plastic stuff i was talking about....it works...this dude had like a really ugly plastic light..and then i used it, it looks new now...
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

aight bro, now i just gotta locate a store with it, maybe il order it online today after i get outta school, cus im at school rite now in compuiter class makin mah daily forum run, btw i tried other plastic polish on my lenses didnt see any difference.. maybe it was crappy polish?

Comment

well i just applied mothers plastic polish and im letting it sit for a good 10 mins and ima buff the shit out of it, i hope that solves the problem, if not.. after winter ima buy new headlamps because the tiny slight scratches is making me CRAAAAZY!!

Comment

i think with polish abrasives ur supposed to rubb it in HARD...now if u just bought a polish, then its not going to do ne thing....

Retro!

Hater

Comment

What was the outcome?

You have to realize, to get rid of imbeded debris you'll have to ruff it up. I've got pics of my plastic panel that looked like a mess after sanding it up, but after the fine cut 3M, and then the Zaino Z5, it's back to a mirror finish.

332.3rwhp 348.9tq SAE
                      13.7452 @ 103.54 w/ 2.2443 60ft
                      Needs website updated badly!

16.168 @ 86.29mph w/ 2.487 60ft
                      Trick love the kids!

Comment

well. isnt their some sort of rubbing compound i can use, i really dont want to sand it, could you provide pics of the proces that you used? that would be tight.. and ztech it was just a polish =(

Comment

well i sanded one headlamp. it seems to be a lil scratchy and slightly foggy compared to the non wetsanded one.. i used 3m Fine cut rubbing compound and then polished with PlastX and Mothers Plastic Polish.. it still didnt look as clear as the one i didnt do... it seems slightly hazy but like clean... u no wut i mean.., how do i fix the hazy?>

Comment

Working...
                          X