Renotching D2r bulbs...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renotching D2r bulbs...?

Hi guys, I had a question. I have a pair of D2r bulbs.

I want to buy e46 single xenon projectors off of HIDplanet.com, but the description says that they fit D2s bulbs. I searched there and found nothing, so I asked and they said I had to dremel a certain part and to remove the black portion on the bulb itself.

Unfortunely, they didnt give me too many details on how to do this, does anyone here know how to or have a link to HIDplanet where they have a DIY? I couldnt find it there so Im hoping someone here knows.

Thanks for your help.
    My Members Ride page!

um i believe d2r and d2s have the same base size so it should fit. if there is a notch that you need to add it shouldn't be too hard to do. just use a small round file and file away. i do recommend that you do NOT use the d2r bulb in the projector as the bulb is designed for reflective housings (there is a shield on the glass itself); d2s bulbs are for projectors (no shielding at all).
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Hmm.. thats why they were saying to remove the little black shield thats on the d2r bulb that I have.. I guess to convert it to D2s. Here is the link to the projectors in question....

http://www.hidplanet.com/bosch.html

Some guy had a FS thread for e46 projectors and thats when I asked them if my bulbs would fit. Even a moderator (Mr Quattro for those who go on HIDPlanet) said that I would have to renotch the bulb and remove the small shield. He never mentioned that it would effect anything.
      My Members Ride page!

Comment

yeah oem d2r bulbs can be converted to d2s bulbs simply by using a razor and carefully filing off the bulb shield and cleaning with alcohol

no worries, they'll work if you just take your time and make sure you're being gentle

My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by fliplyricist1
          yeah oem d2r bulbs can be converted to d2s bulbs simply by using a razor and carefully filing off the bulb shield and cleaning with alcohol

no worries, they'll work if you just take your time and make sure you're being gentle
          Thanks man I was hoping you would answer!

Should I jus use rubber gloves when filing off the shield so I wont get oil on the bulb itself? Again, thanks everyone for their comments!
          My Members Ride page!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco
            Thanks man I was hoping you would answer!

Should I jus use rubber gloves when filing off the shield so I wont get oil on the bulb itself? Again, thanks everyone for their comments!

np man

and instead of rubber gloves I'd much rather suggest wearing some latex gloves ( like the doctors) as they resist oil a lot better and fit your hand snuggly so you always have control over what you're doing

My members ride thread

Comment

Thanks again guys.. gonna be black housing my 1 pieces first then retrofitting the HIDs in..
              My Members Ride page!

Comment

EDIT..... i am doing the retrofit and eric is doing the blackhouse... how dare you take credit lol. ah whatever just messing around.

Comment

Working...
                X