Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Nissan MAXIMA HID's be Retrofitted to the JDM 1-Pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Nissan MAXIMA HID's be Retrofitted to the JDM 1-Pieces?

Im about to get a killer deal on these HID's.
    They come complete with everything.
    I know the TSX and TL's fit, but with some modification.

Would i be able to modify the Maxima Hid's?

thanks for all comments.
    1992 Honda Accord Owner

Are they d2r or d2s, if they are u can, just get the h4 bulb and just use the outer part of the bulb, this means breaking it and using a dremel cut the inside of the bulb out, and then slide the hid bulb into the h4 housing, or u can buy them on ebay, they are made for d2r or d2s retrofiting them into h4 housing, hope this helps.

Comment

yes they will work . if your interested i have a set of hid kit from a g35 works 100% just no bulbs they take d2r , pm me if interested.
      "LAND OF THE GREAT"!! OSAKA,JAPAN

Comment

Originally posted by AccordMaestro
        Im about to get a killer deal on these HID's.
        They come complete with everything.
        I know the TSX and TL's fit, but with some modification.

Would i be able to modify the Maxima Hid's?

thanks for all comments.
        I think a lot of people are getting reflector designs confused with projector designs.

When you mention TSX, tsx hid systems utilize a projector system, in which you must retrofit/cut/hack into your stock housings to fit the projector inside.

The newest gen Acura TL's utilize bixenon projectors which will NOT fit into our housings, no way no how. They're way too big vertically due to their bixenon selenoid unit being located on the bottom.

Older model TL's utilized the stock reflectors with D2R bulbs. Essentially all you'd be doing is getting H4 --> D2R adapters for the HID bulbs if you were to fit them into your stock housings...no retrofitting or cutting required. But of course it's going to be absolutely crappy, suffer from hot spots as well as a terrible and very blinding RHD beam pattern, due to the nature of the jdm one piece designs which were made for halogen lights, not HID's. If you were to go just the HID bulb route, then there's absolutely no need to use old ass bulbs from a used maxima when you can purchase new D2r bulbs for about 50-60 bucks a pair.

So when you mention fitting Maxima 'HID's', you have to be more specific. What year maximas? Because the newest gen maximas utilize projector units which must be retrofitted. Older gen maximas used normal D2r hid capsules.

With all hid systems, all you need is a set of ballasts with either integrated or external ignitors to power your bulbs...for this it's very important you look into OEM ballasts which are far superior to aftermarket ballasts.

I'd suggest you head over to hidforum.com and learn the basics and research a bit before jumping head first into a project
        Last edited by fliplyricist1; 10-17-2005, 02:27 AM.

My members ride thread

Comment

to answer your question, they will work yes.

it really doesn't matter what car they come from. it's the bulb that matters. d2r and d2s have the same base sizing. only the shielding on the glass is different (d2s=projector housing, d2r=reflective housing). that means they can both be made to work and they are easily retroed into an H4 housing (jdm headlights). all you need to do is break off the base of an H4 halogen bulb, trim it until the HID bulb fits in it, and install into the housing. the housing might have to be trimmed to fit the bulb plug. that's it. as for wiring the ballast, positive to positive, negative to negative.

WARNING: what i just described is done at your own risk. it is the cheapest and easiest way to put HIDs in your car. IT IS NOT THE BEST WAY THOUGH! proper shielding and better wiring techniques come into play. that's a whole other ballpark. YOU WILL BLIND PEOPLE IF YOU DO WHAT I JUST STATED ABOVE but you will have HIDs .
          1cor10:31
          - 92 LX coupe
          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

If I remember correctly, I remember reading somewhere that the current Maximas as well as the 350z use a combination of halogen and projector in there headlights. What i mean by this is that they "supposedly" play off each other to create the correct beam pattern and luminosity output. If that is the case, that means that these setups may not neccessarily be the best choice for a retrofit. I cannot remember where I heard or read this which is why I do not use absolute words but I will try to find out more information on this as to if this is true or not and post up my findings.
            "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

Originally posted by H23Accord
              If I remember correctly, I remember reading somewhere that the current Maximas as well as the 350z use a combination of halogen and projector in there headlights. What i mean by this is that they "supposedly" play off each other to create the correct beam pattern and luminosity output. If that is the case, that means that these setups may not neccessarily be the best choice for a retrofit. I cannot remember where I heard or read this which is why I do not use absolute words but I will try to find out more information on this as to if this is true or not and post up my findings.
              You are definitely correct on the 350z projector/reflector design. As per the new maximas, they are just a normal projector, and there have already been a few retrofits. They seem to have tons of color, but the output and cutoff is less than stellar

My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by fliplyricist1
                You are definitely correct on the 350z projector/reflector design. As per the new maximas, they are just a normal projector, and there have already been a few retrofits. They seem to have tons of color, but the output and cutoff is less than stellar
                Yea i just checked it. That is correct. The Maxima's are projectors and though colorful don't seem to put out the same amount of light as some of the other projectors. Based on reviews from HIDPlanet and also from my retrofitter it seems that some of the best projectors out as far as cutoff, color, and light output are the EVO 8's, TSX, and S2000 in that order although the TSX seems to be the best bang for the buck.

The Z seems to use the light that escapes from the back of the projector and uses the reflector to harness the excess and help create the beam pattern. Supposedly without the reflector combo you will basically be just looking at 2 blobs of light similar to what the oem cb7 lights put out anyway...just brighter.

Thanks for the follow up Flip.
                "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

Man put the bulbs in them hole of the headlight get your black blue or red silicone and silicone them bitchs in thats how me rock HIDs in the BX

Comment

Originally posted by H23Accord
                    Yea i just checked it. That is correct. The Maxima's are projectors and though colorful don't seem to put out the same amount of light as some of the other projectors. Based on reviews from HIDPlanet and also from my retrofitter it seems that some of the best projectors out as far as cutoff, color, and light output are the EVO 8's, TSX, and S2000 in that order although the TSX seems to be the best bang for the buck.

The Z seems to use the light that escapes from the back of the projector and uses the reflector to harness the excess and help create the beam pattern. Supposedly without the reflector combo you will basically be just looking at 2 blobs of light similar to what the oem cb7 lights put out anyway...just brighter.

Thanks for the follow up Flip.
                    I'd have to agree with everything you posted. Good info man

My members ride thread

Comment

Reflector HID's are not bad if you get the right ones and shield everything off...if the JDM H4 reflectors flip the reflection they should be fine with a Caspar shield. There are peeps rocking EK Civics with Caspar shields and their cutoffs are highly acceptable...

I'm off work tomorrow so I'm gonna see if there are some reflector alternatives with a nice beam spread and controllable cutoff...

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                        Reflector HID's are not bad if you get the right ones and shield everything off...if the JDM H4 reflectors flip the reflection they should be fine with a Caspar shield. There are peeps rocking EK Civics with Caspar shields and their cutoffs are highly acceptable...

I'm off work tomorrow so I'm gonna see if there are some reflector alternatives with a nice beam spread and controllable cutoff...
                        i have a reflector HID retro (d2r with autolamps shields similar to caspers) and they are great besides having the wrong flare (JDM headlights). the cutoff is acceptable but not has superb as full blow projectors. just as long as you have an underbelly shield for H4 housings, an HID reflector retro can benefit anyone especially our out-of-date lighting systems. i only spent under $300 for an OEM retrofit with minimal cutting/modding of headlight housing and wiring. it's all good to me!

i'm glad more people are getting knowledgeable in this arena. this is some good info here guys! keep it up.
                        1cor10:31
                        - 92 LX coupe
                        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Working...
                        X