Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using E-bay 9005 bulbs for conversion...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using E-bay 9005 bulbs for conversion...?

Hey all, I just have a quick question. I have some 9005 blue "xenon" bulbs I bought off e-bay and they were listed as 80->100 Watts. I was wondering if I ran the risk of melting my headlight wiring harness if I installed these as the 9006 conversion. I burnt out one of my 9005's and I hate the orange from stock headlights. This would be a temporary solution until I got some silverstars or more e-bay ones...

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

what if u switch the wires of each? That might work not sure though

Comment

Not really sure what you're trying to say, are you familiar with the 9006-9005 conversion?

Anyway, I was bored so I did the conversion a couple minutes ago and froze my hands installing them!! My previous low-beams (9006) said they were 100W, so technically they should have the same draw as my 9005's that were also 100W, right? Ah well, I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best because it's too cold to change melted wiring harnesses right now!

Comment

when u see this:

65---->100 watts.... its just appearence, not power...

when you see this on the bottom of the bulb:<-----
        80w 9006

then you have a high wattage bulb. 80 watts are intense on the harnesses, i just replaced one off a guy who had 80watt bulbs (marked by the bottom of the bulb) and it really fried the harness.

id use any walmart brand light bulb or anything for a 9005 conversion. i used OEM from a guy who just had them lying around and they were normal clear halogens. its bright =).

did u convert silverstars prior?

this belongs in lighting...
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Hehe, thanks for the reply and moving my thread! My bulbs are SO ebay that they do not even have the wattage marked on em!! They are really budget ones, but I dont want to burn my harness, because that would suck. This is the link to the bulbs I bought, it doesnt really say too much about the wattage I dont think..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710

So far, they look awesome, a bit brighter than before, looks more like HID.

Aaron

Comment

12V, 5000K, 80W/100W .. that means that your using high watters... well theyre going to look bright, until they fry the wiring a bit then look dim.. then one day POOF you have no lights and its not the bulb thats damaged ... good luck bro, your gonna need it.

Comment

dont be getting no high watts...i seen what they can do...not cool.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

how bad can it get by using high wattage bulbs?

when i had the stock heads, i used 100w 9005's, now that i have the projectors i use 100w "offroad" h3's... and ive never had a problem with any lighting. am i just gettin lucky? what exactly can happen? if the wiring gets fried or whatever happens, what do you have to do to make it work again?

Comment

well the affects are not always instant, it can take 6 months, a year before anything happens, basically 55% more current is running thru the wires basically frying it wire by wire until the last one is so overwhealmed that it just dies, basically you will need to take it to a dealership or buy a new wireharness to have headlights again, i know somone who that happeend to it cost him 200 to get it repaired.. your not getting lucky, you must use you headlights very rarely, alot of people including myself run them whenever im in the car, people liek that lose their lights in a matter of days or weeks.. its not reccomended, but basically eventually your going to have wiring problems..

Comment

if you want to use high wattage, you should upgrade your wire harness to a heavy duty which can supply that amount of power.. dont forget that it will drain alot more power, so if your running an amp and what not, your going to be straining your atlernator to the max.. so alternator will most likely go to shit after that also..

Comment

hey i'm new but ive been around for a few months researching and stuff. i was wondering where can i get a heavy duty headlight harness cause im gettin ready to purchase some raybrig bulbs and need a better harness.

Comment

Originally posted by darkness
                        hey i'm new but ive been around for a few months researching and stuff. i was wondering where can i get a heavy duty headlight harness cause im gettin ready to purchase some raybrig bulbs and need a better harness.
                        raybrig bulbs are no different than oem bulbs, so why would you need a heavy duty headlihgt harness (whatever that's suppposed to be)?

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

i mean the relay kit that lets you run get the power for the bulbs straight from the battery.

Comment

Working...
                          X