New Projector Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by According2Me
    so when u say retro... im not clear on that .. cause its direct bolt in.... did you only get the inside piece with projector glass and have to put it in urself???
    cause ours came from APC as a full housing
    1. stick the headlight in the oven
    2. open them up
    3. unscrew the shroud/bezel
    4. unscrew the crappy APC lens and use it as a candle holder or a door stop
    5. cut off about an inch off the back of the housing
    6. fit the Valeo in where the APC lens use to be, two of the four holes line up
    7. grind a little off the top and bottom of the inside of the housing so the Valeo will fit snugly
    8. bolt them in with spacers
    9. OPTIONAL: take everything out and paint black, if not leave chrome and go to 10
    10. bolt everything back up after paint, Valeo with spacers and shroud
    11. heat up in oven again and reseal
    12. seal up back end of housing where the Valeo base is sticking out from

Take pics and you're done.

05' S2000 GrandPrix White

93' Accord (Sold )
    JDM H22
    Port n Polished Int Mani
    Bored TB, maxed
    MSD 6A
    I/H/E
    no cat
    [[-]] (()) [[\]] [[)) //\\

Comment

are you talkin cutting the orig. backing out and using that of the bulbs you posted..?

sorry im jsut kinda lost.... not sure lol
      Last edited by According2Me; 06-30-2005, 05:04 PM.
      . . .93 Ex F2.0A Si. . .
      WiredMotorSports

Comment

those are my old lights

Comment

Okay I stopped on my way home at the tennis courts in my neighborhood and took a few pics of the cutoff of the lights. I have noticed that i need to adjust the beams, but that wont change the cutoff.

The first picture is the side cutoff and the second is at the tennis fence from about 25ft. Remember that I have a 6000K Kit as well compared to most of you who have a 4300K or 5100K, so it wont be as bright. Went for the blue effect a little
          1991 Black Accord Coupe
          Sprint Lowering Springs
          Neuspeed/Koni Sport Shocks
          Suspension Techniques Front and Rear Sway Bar
          17" Motegi DP6 with Bridgestone Potenzas
          TSX HID Retrofit with 4300K Bulbs
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/sthrnba711

Comment

Originally posted by Sthrnba711
            Okay I stopped on my way home at the tennis courts in my neighborhood and took a few pics of the cutoff of the lights. I have noticed that i need to adjust the beams, but that wont change the cutoff.

The first picture is the side cutoff and the second is at the tennis fence from about 25ft. Remember that I have a 6000K Kit as well compared to most of you who have a 4300K or 5100K, so it wont be as bright. Went for the blue effect a little
            too many long hot spots, but thats just me. I guess i'm a perfectionist.

93' Accord (Sold )
            JDM H22
            Port n Polished Int Mani
            Bored TB, maxed
            MSD 6A
            I/H/E
            no cat

Comment

Originally posted by According2Me

are you talkin cutting the orig. backing out and using that of the bulbs you posted..?

sorry im jsut kinda lost.... not sure lol
              yup, but not so much. just enough for the Valeo base to fit through.

93' Accord (Sold )
              JDM H22
              Port n Polished Int Mani
              Bored TB, maxed
              MSD 6A
              I/H/E
              no cat

Comment

that makes more sense then... hope it looks good maybe after ur figure if it works better i might do that next.... cause just an H4 doenst realy go high cause the cut off...
                . . .93 Ex F2.0A Si. . .
                WiredMotorSports

Comment

Originally posted by acch22
                  too many long hot spots, but thats just me. I guess i'm a perfectionist.
                  :werd:

congrats if it makes you happy with the new projectors...but really in essence, you could have had a set of audi ece projector lenses that have far better even, wider, longer ground light coverage than your apc projectors, with some money left over. Sure it might take a good day of work to do the retrofit right, but the amount of light from an oem hid projector compared to an apc non hid projector is no contest.

And the new pics you took really don't tell anything about the cutoff at all...just find the side of a building and take some pics. Like the others said, that 'ghosting' effect you got at 3ft away will NOT go away when you pull back...it just gets worse and becomes larger. Trust me, I have an hid kit in my jdm one pieces and I get the same thing as you. With an oem projector setup, even if you're 3 ft away the cutoff will be razor sharp and no ghosting will appear above it. It's because the oem projector's innards were specifically made for hid capsules and do not let ANY light escape above the cutoff.

No offense to anyone with apc gear, but most if not all apc stuff is trash. If it's enough light to make you happy then so be it. But comparing an 'apc' projector to an oem projector...well...that shouldn't even be a discussion.

My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by fliplyricist1
                    ...No offense to anyone with apc gear, but most if not all apc stuff is trash...
                    WTF? I've got APCs.....

Oh thats right, I've got a retro done. hehe

93' Accord (Sold )
                    JDM H22
                    Port n Polished Int Mani
                    Bored TB, maxed
                    MSD 6A
                    I/H/E
                    no cat

Comment

I envy you all with retrofits, I wish at some point in the future, I can find someone near me to do a retrofit for me gradually. As in, week 1, buying the items necessary, and week 2 installing the items purchased. Because I know for sure, I can't diy a retrofit.
                      '93 Bordeaux Red Pearl LX 5MT

Prev CBs:
                      -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                      -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                      -'93 AGP EX 4AT
                      10yrs after my first cb, I'm still driving one!

Comment

Originally posted by br0nx finest
                        I envy you all with retrofits, I wish at some point in the future, I can find someone near me to do a retrofit for me gradually. As in, week 1, buying the items necessary, and week 2 installing the items purchased. Because I know for sure, I can't diy a retrofit.
                        by mid-end of august, i might be able to help you out as long as you get the parts by then. i help retrofit s2k projectors into my brother's 03 accord v6
                        i was also gonna do the same to my CC2s, but i ended up selling the valeos and the ballasts to Accord Sir last summer.
                        5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                        JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

I hate the projector look...I'm gonna make some custom LHD-ECE's when I get the time and $$$...I mean projectors give you incredible optics, but I really don't like the way they look on our cars...they're more suited for something newer like a TSX. I know manufacturers are moving away from reflector based HID systens but I've seen LHD ECE H4 HID's as well as some straight up D2R based harmonized and LHD ECE HID systems and the beam pattern is not that bad...plus there's a lot you can do to reduce glare if you open up the headlights. Just my $.02...projectors are better for function but IMO reflectors have better form.

Originally posted by lordoja
                          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                            by mid-end of august, i might be able to help you out as long as you get the parts by then. i help retrofit s2k projectors into my brother's 03 accord v6
                            i was also gonna do the same to my CC2s, but i ended up selling the valeos and the ballasts to Accord Sir last summer.
                            Oh man Francis, this is excellent. I'm not happy you sold the valeos and ballast but that was also a while ago, when I wasn't working such a decent job.

Now that you've said this, I'm going to surf ebay and hidplanet to see what deals I can come up with. Can you give me an idea in terms of bang for buck, good output and decent cutoff color spectrum?

**Sorry for thread crapping, will continue this convo via AIM or PMs.**
                            '93 Bordeaux Red Pearl LX 5MT

Prev CBs:
                            -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                            -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                            -'93 AGP EX 4AT
                            10yrs after my first cb, I'm still driving one!

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                              ...but i ended up selling the valeos and the ballasts to Accord Sir last summer.
                              ah, i remember this. Carlos' retro came out pretty good. It was his first and I walked him through it over the phone and he did a pretty damn god job.

any way...

93' Accord (Sold )
                              JDM H22
                              Port n Polished Int Mani
                              Bored TB, maxed
                              MSD 6A
                              I/H/E
                              no cat

Comment

Working...