Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DRL Relays for Canadian CB7s

Hey everyone,

I searched through the forum and DID find some information on the DRL system for the 90 accords sold in Canada. Those threads were asking about how to ENABLE them, but I want to DISABLE them, and there wasn't much information from what I could gather about that.

Now, I'll admit that I enjoy the thought of safety by having some lights on all the time, but having ALL might lights on all the time is a pain in my ass. I've only had the car 2 months and my headlights already needed replacing. In an ideal world I'd like to have just the high beams on a lower setting as DRLs, however right now I'd like to figure out how to turn them off first.

Here's why I'm posting though, under my dash it appears I have two Running Light Relays and some weird connectors.

This doesn't appear to be connected to anything, so I don't know if this relay should be connected rather than the next one I found below.

Here's another relay slightly further in to my dash board. As you can see something is connected to it, so I assume it's what's keeping all my lights on.

I'm not sure if these connectors are important to the lighting relay, but they are there and I don't know what they do.

Anyway, if anyone has some suggestions that would be great. Like I mentioned, priority #1 is disabling the DRLs in their entirety.

Thanks in advance!

Just pull DRL fuse from under dash fuse box. Done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
      Just pull DRL fuse from under dash fuse box. Done deal.
      I thought I read that doing that would cause none of the lights to work :/ Maybe I read wrong, I'll try it out and find out haha.

Comment

Last post here removes the fuse, PM crazymikey:
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...light=drl+fuse

This is also interesting if you want to be stealth-legal, just flip a hidden switch and DRL still works:
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...light=drl+fuse
        Last edited by wildBill83; 10-16-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

The high beam switch inputs into the drl and the drl outputs to the dimmer relay. When the ignition is switched to run and park brake is released the drl module takes over. To turn off the drl, you should be able to remove the underdash drl fuse #10 since it only powers the drl. It will still need the main power from fuse 23 underhood to operate the high beams and taillights

Option 2, would be to cut the grn/wht parking brake wire and connect it to ground.
          Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

I like option 3, make the fuse switched so he can pass inspection/police hassle and still disable it on a moments notice. Kinda James Bond if you ask me...

I'm with you on not wanting DRLs though, IMHO they are silly... others dig it though.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
              I like option 3, make the fuse switched so he can pass inspection/police hassle and still disable it on a moments notice. Kinda James Bond if you ask me...

I'm with you on not wanting DRLs though, IMHO they are silly... others dig it though.
              I know it's the law for vehicle sold in Canada to have them, but I don't think that it's illegal not to have them while driving. Sounds silly, but I see so many cars without DRLs, including new Hondas. Today I saw a 2011 Odyssey without them.

Anyway, the fuse inside the kick panel seems to have worked. I can confirm that the low beams, front markers and fogs operate with the switch on the wheel now. I'm just assuming my tail lights, brakes and high beams still work too. I'm lucky with the 90 to not have the DRL light on my dash

I'll be heading out tonight and double check that all the lights work! Thanks for all the help

Comment

Thanks for looking into this, and thanks to Lucifer again for the info. Been wanting to disable mine forever on my 90.

The 90 DRL system is different from the 91-93's and is not as simple as just removing the fuse from under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                  Thanks for looking into this, and thanks to Lucifer again for the info. Been wanting to disable mine forever on my 90.

The 90 DRL system is different from the 91-93's and is not as simple as just removing the fuse from under the hood.
                  Which system isn't as easy as removing the fuse? the 91-93? I just double checked when I went on my Timmies run, my lights all work as they should without the running light fuse. Still curious though why I have two relays in my dash board.

Comment

I dont recall 2 relays under mine, because I've had my dash out twice.

I'll fiddle around with it later.

The 91-93 cars, you can just pull the fuse under the hood and disables the DRLs with no effect on the rest of the lights.

Comment

Not to get off topic, but your bulbs should last longer. Maybe the bulbs you had were the originals and they blew after having the car 2 months, I'm not sure of the history here. My OEM bulbs are going on.... 8 years. But glad you got em' disabled. The fuse trick works, but you must have a light on in your cluster now. I read of people going as far as to remove the bulb in the cluster, haha

Comment

Yeah, I was one of those guys. lol

Comment

Alright, I got it.

If I pull Fuse #10 in the kick panel "Day Light", the car will not start.

I did as Lucifer said, and cut the parking brake Green/white stripe wire and grounded it to the parking brake bolt on the floor. Done. No more DRL's.

That freakin easy.

Comment

Hmm....turns out with the wire grounded now, my parking brake warning light is always on.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                              Alright, I got it.

If I pull Fuse #10 in the kick panel "Day Light", the car will not start.

I did as Lucifer said, and cut the parking brake Green/white stripe wire and grounded it to the parking brake bolt on the floor. Done. No more DRL's.

That freakin easy.
                              Thats odd it won't start. Then 90 wire diagrams don't show anything that would effect starting.

Is the brake light on in the dash?
                              Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Working...
                              X