Removing paint from painted all clear tails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing paint from painted all clear tails

I bought some all clear tails off ebay which the previous owner had painted a thin coat red strip over the tail light section.

These have diffusers built in and I have the proper colored bulbs for the tail/brake and turn signals, and I need to remove this paint.

I believe they used "transparent candy apple red" spray paint by Testors.

I have some ideas on how to get the paint off but would like some advice from folks with more paint experience.

*my ideas
    goo be gone
    acetone (or other paint thinner)
    elbow grease w/soap and water
    *extreme idea---> 2000 grit sand paper (and wet sand)
    ____

wet sand + buff n polish
    Blake.
    1994 Accord Part out!
    Me and my step dad's 1991 Accord EX Coupe MRT

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

Comment

not acetone,
      any toluene based solvent will turn your plastic milky.
      Last edited by Bent; 08-29-2009, 12:29 PM. Reason: someone keeps moving my keys around...

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Accord View Post
        wet sand + buff n polish

I think that should work perfect... Then they will look new again.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
        dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
          These have diffusers built in and I have the proper colored bulbs for the tail/brake and turn signals, and I need to remove this paint.
          To be legal, you'll need some sort of red reflector on the rear end of your CB.

But, like Dark_Accord said, sand with high grit sand paper then buff/polish.

1999 BMW M3
          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Spray easy off oven spray on them and seal them in a plastic garbage bag for about 20 minutes. Afterwards all the paint will wipe off with a towel. If there's any remaining paint left repeat the process again. I've done this many times and works well.
            ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::For Sale Thread::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::: S2K::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::: CB7:::::::::::::::: Flickr

Comment

if it were me, i'd buff it off with plastic polish. that way you do two things, remove the paint, and make the plastic look new again. later.
              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

thanks for the replies, I forgot about the red reflector...that'll be an issue.

I used a green scrub pad and got the paint off with just water, but of course that gave the plastic a hazy look.

Damn my cell phone takes better pics than I thought it would
                went from this

to this...

I'll bust out the buffer and plastic polish later on...I'll post some pics.
                ____

Comment

they look great! i just did the same thing with a set i bought a little while ago. i used 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper and wetsanding. the corners and crevices (like the key ring) were a pain in the butt!

still trying to decide if i want to repaint the brake lights red or not. i know i'll get pulled over around here for keeping them all clear.

so you just used an abrasive pad, eh? guess the previous owner didn't use any sort of clear coating.
                  My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

You can see how much more "cloudy" they are if you compare the the reverse light section. It is shiny and glossy, the part I scrubbed is clouded over It's not as noticable with my cell phone...I mean it really isn't much, I could leave it but I want them pefectly clear.

But I'm pretty sure with some time buffing with my plastic polish it'll come out nice.

I actually practiced with a calculator cover, got it almost mirror finish, still had deeper scratches, but it was SMOOTH, so I'm pretty sure I can get this crystal clear.

Thanks again for the advice...I'll post more pics as I get the work done.
                    ____

Comment

Working...
                    X