Reupholstering seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reupholstering seats

Can I do it myself? I know nothing about it!

I was just looking at what I thought was a set of PERFECT black leather SE seats... What I found was a set of worn crap that had cigarette burns in em... So, would I be able to reupholster my seats myself? I mean, I'm sure I could, but is it something an amateur could do fairly easily?

Also, it would make sense to me to have pre-stitched kits made for various cars... where you remove the old stuff and attach the new. Kinda like seat covers, but better Does such a thing exist?

Ok, I'm looking for materials now. Found some Duratouch faux leather stuff online... $40 a yard. Seems like good stuff, and i think i heard about it before. Has anyone used it before? Is it easy to wrap seats with (opposed to real leather...)

Also, how many yards would I need?

Comment

Chances are no on the reupholstering yourself. The seat material is the same a seat cover, but custom tailored for your seat. They pretty much take up the desigs, cut, and sew together all new stuff. Unless you have extreme sewing skills, then I'd just call DR. Vinyl.

Comment

i would imagine that if your sewing skills aren't top notch, the diy reupholstering job would look quite sad.

that's something i'd definitely take to a shop that specializes in car interiors to do. it shouldn't be terribly expensive, assuming you actually want to keep the existing seats (i'd think around $200).

don't know about a pre-stitched kit. the only thing i can think of is seat covers that fit extremely tight... and that would look like ass imo.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

yea deever i know that finishline upolstery shop on the whitehorse pike is like 180 a seat for the front and 150 for the rear
          cb7 sold
          2002 mineral gray mustang gt not stock
          95 accord lx daily driver

Comment

There is such a thing as prestiched seats and panel kits...all you gotta do us pull off the old fabric, and slip over the new kits...

Check out Katzkin: http://www.katzkin.com/SITE/HTML/index.html

There pretty expensive but from what Ive hear their top-notch.

Jay
            Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

Comment

Wow, yeah they are pretty expensive. Of course, I haven't priced much otherwise. I'll have to see what my options are!

I'd love to do it myself. Something about doing your own work makes it just that much more respectable. I didn't put my own engine in, and that still bugs me.

Comment

yea i have heard good thing about that company too
                cb7 sold
                2002 mineral gray mustang gt not stock
                95 accord lx daily driver

Comment

Working...
                X