S2000 steering wheel installation *PICS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S2000 steering wheel installation *PICS*

NOTE: the s2000 steering wheel does NOT fit our cars ! this thread will show why.

most of us here always wondered if the s2000 wheel would fit our cars with no major modifications. well now we can put this mystery to rest. i'm sorry to inform you all that it does NOT fit.

from my experience, i found out that the spline hole diameter on the stock wheel is smaller compared to the s2000. when i placed the s2000 wheel over the steering column the wheel was unable to grab the spines. it would just move around freely. though the hub depth is the same, the two cutouts at the end of the s2000 wheel hub is completely off by 90 degrees. however i found that the cruise control, horn, and srs wiring reel does fit into the hole of the s2000 wheel. only the horn can be wired in perfectly. the cruise and srs need some rewiring but can be made to work.

enough with the details. let's let the picutres speak for themselves.

here is a mock up of what it would have looked like in my cabin. it felt very nice since it's made of soft leather and is smaller in diameter (350mm) compared to the stock wheel. DANG it wish it would have fit!

the hole on the hub of the s2000 wheel is larger than the stock wheel. it was unable to grab the splines of the steering column. notice that the wiring reel was able to go through the wheel.

you can see the size difference here. it doesn't look like much but it sure does feel different.

this is the s2000 wheel. note the diameter size of the hub, the two adjacent holes, and the two cutouts...

...and compare them to the stock wheel. the cutouts are 90 degrees off. the adjacent holes are off too but this doesn't matter. the wiring reel goes in there and it simply rotates into place.

the s2000 wheel is surprisingly a lot lighter in weight than the stock wheel, with and without the airbag. i would think the leather would make it a bit heavier.

there you have it folks. i'm completely bummed out about this. it can work but you'll need a different steering column. as for major modifications, you can always weld the darn thing to the column or make an adaptor to mate the splines. you can also unweld the hubs and swap them over. i wouldn't recommend it since this is a vital part of your car's control. safety becomes an big issue.

from my conclusions, i can officially state that this wheel can only fit in OBD-II cars without major modifications. that's why it only fits 96-up accords, EK civics, 97-up preludes, etc.
    Last edited by timmy0tool; 06-13-2008, 07:12 PM.
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

sadly, a well done job. thanks for the info.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

damn dude thats sucks ass .. am about to get a dc5 steering wheel .. i guess ill have to change the whole column to make it work .. wow .. i thought you had it on already good to go .. lol .. good write up man ..
      "LAND OF THE GREAT"!! OSAKA,JAPAN

Comment

thanks for being the gunie pig and trying it out man

My ride RS6 HELLA Bi-xenon ECE retrofitted CB7
        www.maketradefair.com

Comment

it looked pretty nice on their

'04 SB AP2 211whp 150wtq

Comment

Wana sell the S2K wheell?
            My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

I was told the same thing 2 years ago when I tried it. I was told not only that it wouldn't fit but other stuff would need to be modded too. Good to see that you were able to put into pictures what I was told. Also good to see that what I was told was not a bunch of bull. Great writeup!
              "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

Couldn't you just swap the splines? I mean, maybe not you personally, but a good welder should be able too. Might be a pain in the ass, but if you REALLY wanted it...
                -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Bluejayde
                  Couldn't you just swap the splines? I mean, maybe not you personally, but a good welder should be able too. Might be a pain in the ass, but if you REALLY wanted it...
                  Originally posted by timmy0tool
                  most of us here always wondered if the s2000 wheel would fit our carswith no major modifications.

there you have it folks. i'm completely bummed out about this. it can work but you'll need a different steering column. as for major modifications, you can always weld the darn thing to the column or make an adaptor to mate the splines. you can also unweld the hubs and swap them over. i wouldn't recommend it since this is a vital part of your car's control. safety becomes an big issue.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

huh what we did know the s2k wheel didn't work on our cars. lol what is the diameter of our stock steering wheels?
                    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

So the only thing that didnt work was the little cuts were 90 degrees off right? and the fact that the splines were different sizes?

And adapter could easily be made, there is even a website where you can have parts custom made if you have an autoCAD drawing. All you would need is the dimensions of each, and it couldnt be that much to make. A CNC machine could cut it pretty quick.

If you still have both, and want to dimension the stock accord splines and the s2000, and i'll draw a part up real quick on autocad, and see how much it would be to make a part.

Also, is there a main nut that goes on the top(behind the horn part)? How many threads does it have, and how much extra room would the steering wheel be able to come farther out and the nut still grab?
                      Last edited by aero; 04-21-2005, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Somebody wants this to work!^^^^^^
                        "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

haha i want to make this work too. that's why i'm not going to sell the wheel just yet. i'll figure out something as well. being an engineer, i'm pretty good at autocad myself. the cuts and the nut don't really bother me. it's the splines. they are REALLY important that they grab correctly or else you loose control of the car (duh!).

i'll keep you guys updated on what i'll do. for right now i'm still brainstorming.
                          1cor10:31
                          - 92 LX coupe
                          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool
                            haha i want to make this work too. that's why i'm not going to sell the wheel just yet. i'll figure out something as well. being an engineer, i'm pretty good at autocad myself. the cuts and the nut don't really bother me. it's the splines. they are REALLY important that they grab correctly or else you loose control of the car (duh!).

i'll keep you guys updated on what i'll do. for right now i'm still brainstorming.
                            The best bet is just to cut the two grooves... As far as the splines, you just need a simple adapter like I said. Something that will go over the accord column, and fit in the s2000 connector.

http://www.emachineshop.com/

Comment

Revival nearly 2 years later...possible simple solution.

I know its been nearly two years since this thread was made.

Since then most of the poster on here have moved on except for a few people.

I was brainstorming this thread today at work, just thought about it here and there and I couldnt wait to find this thread and just ask this question.

Wouldnt it be simpler to swap the whole steering colum from a OBD II (96-97) Accord to the OBD I (90-93) Accord?

Since there were basically the same frame underneath except for a major exterior redesign?
                              Henry R
                              Koni/Neuspeed
                              1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                              1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                              Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                              made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Working...
                              X