Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can i find a good body work thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can i find a good body work thread?

i have the typical rust spots on the rear panel above the wheel well. i need some good advice on fixing those spots or if i should i just go bring it to a body shop?

There's a lot of questions you need to answer for this.

1. How much money do you have to do this?
    2. How long do you realistically plan on keeping the car?
    3. Do you have experience with bodywork?
    4. How perfect do you want it?

For example I'm now completely rust free and shouldn't have rust issues for the next 10 years at least I'd think...but I paid out the ... for it to be done correctly...so its really all up to you.

Comment

I'm in the same boat ... wouldn't call this thread jacking or whoring since we're all in the same situation.

AccordWarrior really answered it though. You either spend $$ or time or a bit of both.

I know I can't do it myself and so will be saving up some I think.

But my main concern is, is that I perceive many body shops as looking at an old car and even when you tell them you "want it done right" thinking to themselves "we'll try and shoot them an agreeable price and it'll look good for a couple years probably and then he'll have gotten rid of the car ..."
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda

But my main concern is, is that I perceive many body shops as looking at an old car and even when you tell them you "want it done right" thinking to themselves "we'll try and shoot them an agreeable price and it'll look good for a couple years probably and then he'll have gotten rid of the car ..."
        Be firm, and tell them you WANT it done. My body guy called me insane a few times after I said what I wanted done...but when I suggested just hacking my panel, he's like no way, if you do this you HAVE to do it right. I'm sure it helped my bodyman used to be the bodyman of choice for the local Honda dealer.

Shop around, do your hw, etc etc. I did a little research online and 2-4K seemed to be the range, based on work done. Just make sure you know what the quality of the work is. My friend had stuffed 2 of his cars and had this guy fix them, and the worth was top notch, so that's why I decided to go with them.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
          ... My body guy called me insane a few times after I said what I wanted done...

... I did a little research online and 2-4K seemed to be the range, based on work done. ...
          Yeah, that's kind of the problem. These cars are in general no longer worth that, so you pretty much have to commit to keeping it, and hope it doesn't get totaled.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
            Yeah, that's kind of the problem. These cars are in general no longer worth that, so you pretty much have to commit to keeping it, and hope it doesn't get totaled.

Totally Agree with you. That's why I can't spend that much on bodywork/paint haha

Im attempting to do the bodywork myself. I have the hood and trunk set. I mean it's all needs to bee sanded but all the defects are gone. Wheel wells are next hehe

Comment

body work

i worked in a custom body shop, and if it isn't all the way through then it should only be surface rust. With that just sand it down smooth and hit it with fillable primer(buff).

Comment

10 years for bodywork to last is a little bit of a long shot imo.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Working...
                X