Painting a 92 grille black...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting a 92 grille black...

I have a grill I want to paint with FLAT black. I took out the 14 screws to separate the 3 pieces and I want it to look tight. I am going to steel wool the silver, then rub it down with alcohol. Now, should I prime it or no? I want the paint to really stick since it is in the front and takes all the wind and bugs. But, I do not want the paint to crack because it didn't take to the plastic. I'm using aeresol type paint that is good for plastics. I'm leaning towards no primer since the prep I am doing should be okay, but I want to be sure before I get into it. Thanks!

if you are not going to prime it, i suggest krylon fusion. it is supose to bond to plastic with no prep work. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

yea use krylons spray paints they say no prep is required but you might wanta clean all the bugs off the grill then paint post pics when you get done cause i might wanna do it also

Comment

no no no .what you would need to do is that go to the auto parts store and buy some 200grit wet sand paper and some prep-all(to clean the grill before you paint) and also a qaulity flat black paint. so then go home get a bucket of hot soapy water and wet sand the grill (the black piece) and then wet sand the chrome strips, dry the pieces, clean the peices with prep-all then spray the grill/peices flat black my opinion is that i would spray it black and then clear it or spraying it with gloss black
        Last edited by oneoffaccord; 10-25-2005, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Good lookin' out on the Fusion paint. I painted it tonight and the paint seemed to adhere hella good and NO peeling/flaking when I applied the 2nd coat. I used the satin finish. All I did was green pad and sand with very fine sandpaper first. I really didn't scuff it too hard; just a good "cleaning" type sand prep. I separated the three pieces and only painted the "H" and the chromish trim piece. The paint seems to really cover everything well! I'm not clearing it unless the paint starts to break down on the car. I want that dull, clean black look. I'll get pics. up in the next couple days. Also, it is a 90-91 style grill. The seller thought it was from a 92, but it is the older style. I should be okay right? Once painted all black, there won't be a huge difference between the 2 styles. At least to me anyway. Thanks again.

Comment

I used Krylon Fusion on mine and after the summer it looks like crap. There is a big scratch where the chrome is showing through. Then there were some tiny nicks from rocks or whatever. After a few car washes it's just getting worse. I'm going to have to prep it again.
            oneoffaccord, when you say "qaulity flat black paint" do you have an example? I used a high temp paint on my wipers and that has held up, but of course they are metal.
            I want something that will last. Maybe this is too much to ask? If I get it right on the grille I'd like to paint the trim around the windows.

Comment

Originally posted by squig808
              I used Krylon Fusion on mine and after the summer it looks like crap. There is a big scratch where the chrome is showing through. Then there were some tiny nicks from rocks or whatever. After a few car washes it's just getting worse. I'm going to have to prep it again.
              oneoffaccord, when you say "qaulity flat black paint" do you have an example? I used a high temp paint on my wipers and that has held up, but of course they are metal.
              I want something that will last. Maybe this is too much to ask? If I get it right on the grille I'd like to paint the trim around the windows.
              Man, that sux. I hope I can avoid that. Cheap plastic is hard to paint...

Comment

Before I painted my grille white, I had it flat black and I used Krylon flat black. Only prepwork I did was presanding the chrome with some 400 grit sandpaper and it worked and looked great.
                Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

I think no matter how much prep work you do...after you drive around for about month you'll have to repaint. When bugs and wind and pebbles and whatnot are hitting your car its going to chip the paint off that cheap chrome strip.

Comment

maybe rustoleum paint? like what wallace used on the wiper arms??
                    <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

but i just bought a center console (tan) from a junk yard for my 92 accord, i want a black console to match my black dash..... so i started with the back ash tray using no primer and a paint made for plastics (recommended no primer) that I picked up at Lowe's Hardware (dont have the can so i cant remember the name, but i can find out sometime), and i painted the front and back sections using primer and paint and the paint seemed to stick better when using the primer...so if the paint comes off the ash tray i guess i'll be priming it and repainting..but after 1 coat of black it looks really good and you can still see the design that the dash and console have through the paint, i will be applying a coat of clear on sunday and giving it time to dry good...i'll post pics when finished...

PS: I kno this is the wrong thread but it was about painting
                      -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                      -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                      -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                      -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Conspiracy
                        I think no matter how much prep work you do...after you drive around for about month you'll have to repaint. When bugs and wind and pebbles and whatnot are hitting your car its going to chip the paint off that cheap chrome strip.
                        your right. so what i did was paint the grill the color of my roof then i cleared it. the paint that i used is automotive paint that you buy at a paint store. (base coat then clear coat)

Comment

Working...
                        X