Can black bumpers be painted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can black bumpers be painted?

I have black bumpers on my 91 coupe and they have had all the armor-all and back-to-black products applied to them at some point. Can these be stripped and painted without the fish-eye effect happening to them or should I get a set of bumpers that are already painted and paint them to match?
    www.lowmotion.org
    www.Maritimesportcompact.ca

Yeah you can have them painted. You just have to get rid of all the wax and crap that have been on there. I always use rubbing alcohol to clean plastics before I paint them and I've yet to have the fish-eye effect. Just clean the bumpers with the alcohol. Sand with 240 grit sandpaper. Clean them again with alcohol and prime them. Sand with 320-400 grit sandpaper and you're ready for paint. It also helps to leave the bumpers out in the sun to heat up the agents and open up the pores of the plastic right before you clean them. Good luck and hope that helped.

Comment

Thanks....I will probably have to use a heat lamp or something because it is -5 C and like a foot of snow on the ground right now.
      www.lowmotion.org
      www.Maritimesportcompact.ca

Comment

Originally posted by CBShichi
        Yeah you can have them painted. You just have to get rid of all the wax and crap that have been on there. I always use rubbing alcohol to clean plastics before I paint them and I've yet to have the fish-eye effect. Just clean the bumpers with the alcohol. Sand with 240 grit sandpaper. Clean them again with alcohol and prime them. Sand with 320-400 grit sandpaper and you're ready for paint. It also helps to leave the bumpers out in the sun to heat up the agents and open up the pores of the plastic right before you clean them. Good luck and hope that helped.
        couldnt of said it better....

Comment

Working...
        X