Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of preping is required for caliper painting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of preping is required for caliper painting?

my mechanic says i need to sand the caliper, but i havent read any threads on this forum with anyone saying they sanded their calipers.

MY CB7

FULL part out thread:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=204494

when i did my dads car i jus washed them abit then went t crappy tirre and got the red caliper paint and alplyed the painted few coats looks amazing
    GasOrAss?

www.club5252.com

Comment

1. Sanding is added because its for adhesion of the paint. It will stick on better.
      2. Mask off the areas that you are not painting (This means the piston area with the boot)
      3. Clean the caliper with a wax and grease remover/brake clean so its clean.
      4. Spray on the caliper and apply as many coats as you want.
      5. You have just painted a caliper.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i just spray it with brake cleaner...scrub area with a tooth brush, let dry...then apply paint...very easy..

Originally posted by deevergote
        Yay. You're an asshole.

Comment

basically gotta get it clean to the bare metal and then paint it. I used this sandpaper kit they have at Autozone to clean it better, so far my calipers have held the paint well, been a year and none is chipping off

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
            1. Sanding is added because its for adhesion of the paint. It will stick on better.
            2. Mask off the areas that you are not painting (This means the piston area with the boot)
            3. Clean the caliper with a wax and grease remover/brake clean so its clean.
            4. Spray on the caliper and apply as many coats as you want.
            5. You have just painted a caliper.
            good procedure

MY CB7

FULL part out thread:

Comment

I've also seen paint you could apply with a brush which would save you the hassle of masking/shopping bagging off.

Comment

i spray with brake cleaner. tape off the areas you dont want paint on. tape off the fenders just in case of overspray. then i painted them. i had the best results with the duplicolor caliper paint (like 7 bux) but they still look good to this day

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                11.68 @ 127mph
                417whp/375wtq
                Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Since mine were pretty crusty, I steel-brushed the initial grit off while repeatedly bathing them in degreaser. After a few cycles they looked brand new. It's got an excellent finish to it.

Comment

I can't speak from experience here, but don't use the brush-on caliper paint. A buddy on mine used it and you could see lines from the brush. Whatever you do, use a spray.
                    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07
                      I can't speak from experience here, but don't use the brush-on caliper paint. A buddy on mine used it and you could see lines from the brush. Whatever you do, use a spray.
                      yea, i was thinking about that...
                      lol, i plan to use some spray paint.
                      and my calipers wont be on the car, so it will be a lot easier to spray paint them.

MY CB7

FULL part out thread:

Comment

Working...
                      X