Roof conversions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof conversions?

Just wondering if anyone has yet attempted to do something with the roof on a CB7. Convertible, t-top, or targa conversion. If so are there any pics of it?
    I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

CB7: The Movie TEASER VIDEO

they are a couple converts but none o fthe others listed. There a couple guys on cardomain.com with there roofs chopped off.
    1993 Accord LX - Sold
    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

it's my understanding that by chopping the roof off of a unibody car it will lose all structural integrity and possibly collapse in the middle.

if that's not the case with CB7s please tell me, I'll run outside right now with my sawzall and get to work
      I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That applies to all unibody cars...

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Torqstr
          it's my understanding that by chopping the roof off of a unibody car it will lose all structural integrity and possibly collapse in the middle
          then explain the cavileer(sp?), dodge k-car, dodge sebring, miata, etc converts

Comment

those are factory convertibles, which have had tons of bracing added.

which sucks because I don't have a welding machine, but I do have a strong desire for a topless car, and soon, lol.

Comment

Let's just say for a moment that I really, really want a convertible (or t-top/targa), but can't afford one. I do; however, have a 1990 Honda Accord coupe sitting in my yard that I think would look interesting topless.

1.) Well obviously just sawing off the roof is not an option. From what I understand it would make the car's structural integrity comparable to a cup of Jello. But what if the doors were welded shut? Would that make ANY difference, of would the whole "sawing off the roof" thing just be totally unfeasable?

2.) T-bar style. Let's say I removed the metal frame around my windows, cut most of the roof out, t-top style, then had some metal welded down the middle under the headliner (because I know that thin metal won't do anything to hold anything up by itself)

3.) Targa style. Now let's say I remove everything from the windshield to the back of the doors, that would leave me with something that resembled a targa top. Now I know this would leave the car nearly as wobbly as the "saw off the roof" method, but it should still help with stability just a little bit since the rear part of it is still intact. However; I know that the biggest structural problem would be the car wanting to "fold" in half. So what if I were to have some little 1" diameter metal rods or something welded in to cross the gap, you know one above each door, like a support. It wouldn't be totally open top, but should help a lot with structural issues.

4.) Huge motherforking sunroof. Now, seeing as how most things will negatively affect the integrity of the car I came up with one final solution. What if, instead of hacking away at any pillar or supports I just took a sawzall to the middle of the roof, you know, the part that's just sheet metal. In essence I'd be removing all of the thin roof metal, but leaving everything else. This wouldn't be nearly as fun as a convertible/targa/t-top, but it would definately open up the roof without doing much to harm structural strength. This option would also be the easiest to fabricate a top for. I could simply make a canvas rectangle the size of my roof, possibly with some sewn-in ribs with plastic or metal supports for strength at high speed. I could then attach the whole thing to the top of the car with either button-snaps or industrial velcro.

Well those are my ideas, and yes I'm determined to have an open-top car by this summer, lol, one way or another. I've got the Eagle Talon TSi AWD that I'm spending money on, so no money to waste on a real convertible, unless I could trade the Accord for one, which is unlikely.

So any insight would be helpful. Also if anyone here has actually done a roof chop before I'd like to know how your experience with it was.

Comment

someone should photo shop ur ideas......try with this photo?

also back in the day there were aftermarket targa top kits for minitrucks so maybe you can customize something similar.

Comment

acordtunerzz: you said there were some on cardomain that were chopped, could you PLEASE link them here, I've searched and searched and can't find them. I want to ask those guys how the cars are holding up.......because I'm just going nuts wanting an open-top car, even if I have to hack mine up.

Comment

The EX had extra bracing for it's sunroof compared to the LX, which didn't. So if you wanted to hack out the main part of your roof, you'd still need to tie in some support beams.

I think the only way you could pull off a targa and not have it twist like crazy would be to get something like the Autopower cage and tie that into everything.

I do recall seeing a CD5 with T-tops and an Integra front end a few years ago.

Comment

type g (brian) had a pic of a convertible cb7 talk to him.
                      <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

http://members.lycos.nl/hendrik/crxp...onvertible.htm
                        Last edited by oneoffaccord; 03-08-2007, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you are quite serious about doing it. Hope it works for ya and I'll try and find the pic of the convertable cb7.

SOLD!!
                          Boosted H22
                          375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

if you have a custom designed structural cage welded in, you could do pretty much anything you want and it will be as stiff if not stiffer than stock. i would like to do this to an ol junker coupe.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                            'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                            Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Here's a picture of a rag top cb7 i took in Chicago (well.. technically it was Bloomingdale, IL) i couldn't get close enough in traffic to get a better picture.

-:¦:-
                              Originally posted by wed3k
                              i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

Working...
                              X