shift knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shift knob

i guess you could say this is considered appearance...i have a problem with my shift knob. im using a momo cobra knob....and no matter what i do, IT WILL NOT STAY TIGHT! it uses 3 set screws, and those lil buggers come lose about every 20-30 shifts...leaving me with a knob that can slide right off its always been just the one screw that came lose, so i attempted to fix it by putting some loc-tite on the screw...well it worked...but now the other screw is comming lose so, is there anyone whos had this problem, and knows how to deal with it? cause right now im having to drive around with an allen wrench and every now and then at red lights shove it in and tighten
    ..[CB7][STAR]..
    MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

replace the rubber insert with a rubber hose. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

This is for an auto right? I never had problems with my Razo for my old auto. Wierd.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i got rid of the rubber thing completely and just use longer set-screws to hit the metal. you could use loc-tite on them then, but i havent had a problem with them uscrewing very much. maybe once a month ill have to tighten them, but other than that, they're tight as hell.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
          This is for an auto right? I never had problems with my Razo for my old auto. Wierd.

no, i did a 5speed swap about 2 weeks ago.

Originally posted by TypeG
          replace the rubber insert with a rubber hose. later.
          how do i take the insert out from it? and what kind of rubber hose would i use? kinda confused on this, its pissing me off though...tonight im driving, i go to throw it in third, and the knob comes right off and i hit my dvd player
          ..[CB7][STAR]..
          MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

So you are using an auto knob on a manual car? Why dont you just buy a manual knob? If all else fails try to shove shit to make the Inner diameter thicker and jam it on the shifter then tighten the bolts on.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

this is not an auto knob, its a manual knob...it wont stay on the shifter piece.

no matter how tight the screws go, after a couple of shifts i can start to feel it being able to turn a bit, then a few more shifts and it comes right off. is there any momo knobs that screw on instead of using screws? cause id be more then happy to go and buy that knob instead, cause this knob is just stupid...its nice knob...but...just wont freakin stay tight.
              ..[CB7][STAR]..
              MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

I would think so. They prob gave you the wrong application? My friend had one on his civic. Didnt look like it needed the allen head screws on the side. Wierd his was the silver sphere looking one that had the metal mesh on it forgot what it was called. Nice knob I must say but installation wise I dod not see any allen screws on the side looked like it screwed on

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

thats the knob, i even went back to the shop cause i know the guy who works there, asked him about it, he said that 3 set screws should hold it perfectly in place...a guy i work with has the same knob, his is perfectly held in place. when i tighten these, im turning the alan key so hard that its almost ripping into my skin from the force of me trying to screw them in...its weird..is there anything i can put on the shifter piece so that when i put the knob on the screws dig into this and stay in place?
                  ..[CB7][STAR]..
                  MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Man I've had problems with all my aftermarket shift knobs, I went through about 3 of them in a few months because they wouldn't fit. Then I bought a Forbidden Shifter and a Type R knob, no screws, no rubbers (no pun intended)...lol no problems, threaded shifter with a threaded knob.

SOLD!!
                    Boosted H22
                    375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

yes! threaded knob! thats what i need! does anyone know of any momo knobs that are threaded on and not placed using set screws???
                      ..[CB7][STAR]..
                      MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

You can call the manufacturer and ask them or people that distribute it. I rarely hear anyone use the 3 screw ones for a manual car unless its an auto. This is the one my friend got.

But yea you should have a threaded knob. I would think thats what people would buy since thats what the stock one is? I have been Running a Trust knob and it has done me well. I also have a manual Razo knob which worked wonders. BOth of those were threaded for my application hence why I think they might have given you the wrong application.

These are my other three knobs i have had:
                        Trust ( the one im rockin now )

Razo ( My old one thats collecting dust )

My other old Razo that was for my auto except it was silver with cf:

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                        X