Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front bumper cover has a gap at one end. Got install advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front bumper cover has a gap at one end. Got install advice?

Alrighty, I put my bumper cover back on ...

The center looks fine, I just held it up while tightening the various bolts.

Aligning and sliding the end clips that are attached to the bumper cover onto the fenders went OK.

One end looks "OK", considering ... (the fender had been damaged and I bent it back some. That end of the bumper cover is now tight up against the fender).

Curiously, the other end that was previously fine to begin with now has a gap of just over 1/4 between the bumper cover and fender line. I can push it up but something is clearly pulling it down.

I haven't had time to try it yet but I'm wondering if I sacrifice some closeness in the center, if I loosen the bolts and allow the center to sag just a little that'll allow the whole mess to "pivot" and bring the end back up to better meet the fender. Make sense?

**Update:** I've tried what I described above, loosing the bolts to see if lowering the front might allow the side to close the gap some.

It didn't.

Many of you have done blackhousing headlights and other things requiring bumper cover removal/reinstalation. You never had a gap on one or more sides larger than what you started with?
    Last edited by deckeda; 11-06-2006, 08:17 PM.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

and bump!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

To get mine tight, I used a 2x4 and a lever over a block of wood to force the bumper up. Then while holding that I tightened the front support bolts through the signal openings. That's the only way I've found to get the thing sucked up in the front. Also, the lower edge of my bumper cover was jammed against the front lower crossmember making it more difficult to get things straight.
      1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

are you sure you got the bumper slid into the guides on the sides? later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
          are you sure you got the bumper slid into the guides on the sides? later.
          I don't know if you're talking to me, but I've had that bumper off so many times in the last 7 years it's not even funny. Plus, I'm dealing with minor tweakage from an incident 5 years ago.
          1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

i was talking to whoever will listen but it was directed at the OP. later.
            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

i have this gap also on my passenger's side. i did take off the bumper once to install a 94-95 front lip. before that i still had the gap and i figured putting it back together carefully would help. it was no good though, still the same gap... bump for a solution!!

Comment

bump this any pointers,Iv'e ran into a little of the same thing...

Comment

im going to try taking off the bumper and re-aligning the passenger side. i hope it's just an alignment issue

Comment

i hate how they designed our bumpers.

Comment

Originally posted by sublime
                      i hate how they designed our bumpers.
                      x2 mine hangs right before the wheel wells but then it is missing all those screws in the wheel wells.. Need to remember to look for those next time I go to Pick-N-Pull. Later

Comment

my bumper hangs on a side too after I changed my headlights, but it's because my friend didn't lock it on the clips good and it just hangs there.

Comment

Originally posted by MadSpleen85
                          x2 mine hangs right before the wheel wells but then it is missing all those screws in the wheel wells.. Need to remember to look for those next time I go to Pick-N-Pull. Later

i dont think those screws help the bumper sagging, if anything its the 2 clips that go into the fender.

Comment

haha i have the same problem. I tried using some blocks of wood to hold it up while i put the nuts on but it didn't work- i hate how it doesn't line up! There's gotta be an easier way to get it to to line back up..
                            I really hope someone's got a solution to this, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with the problem, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by sublime
                              i dont think those screws help the bumper sagging, if anything its the 2 clips that go into the fender.
                              Yeah, right. I think those screws are used just to keep the sides of the bumper from flapping outwards, rather than up and down. The plastic piece that those screws screw into moves up and down freely, so I don't think that those screws will necessarily keep your bumper from sagging.

Comment

Working...
                              X