Stripping bumper paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripping bumper paint?

How do I go about it? I got a bumper but it's painted black, and I need to match it with the car. Also, where would I go about getting paint w/o going online? Thanks...

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Just sand it down, then paint it?

Comment

Ah ok I thought there was some funky procedure for the bumper...I guess I'll get to it...

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
        Ah ok I thought there was some funky procedure for the bumper...I guess I'll get to it...
        are you sure its painted, and not just black plastic? if its plastic, you will need some adhesion booster, the stuff that you spray on there to get the primer to stick, and spray that before the primer if its plastic

Comment

Lol, it's definitely painted....look at my sig...if it wasnt, the lip and bumper would match texture wise.

Comment

Park next to a red 1993 Cavalier Convertible driven by the 2nd skankiest girl in your high school but has a bf that went to prison for assault so you can't ask her to pay you back even though you know they did it but you weren't there without risking getting broken into many pieces...they'll take the bumper paint off quite nicely

Comment

LOL I would send the goonies at both of them... BITCH YOU BETTER HAVE MY MUNAAY!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                Park next to a red 1993 Cavalier Convertible driven by the 2nd skankiest girl in your high school but has a bf that went to prison for assault so you can't ask her to pay you back even though you know they did it but you weren't there without risking getting broken into many pieces...they'll take the bumper paint off quite nicely
                im sure that you needed some insider info for that one, right mike?

Comment

Originally posted by mondojackal
                  are you sure its painted, and not just black plastic? if its plastic, you will need some adhesion booster, the stuff that you spray on there to get the primer to stick, and spray that before the primer if its plastic
                  yup.

Did you buy it new or used of somone else? Some of the aftermarket cheaper oem style bumpers are smooth and somewhat shiny from how they are made.

You would paint it just as you would any other parts, but since it is plastic, there are adhesion promoters that will help the paint stick. Sometimes there is just one, but usually there are two different kinds, each will only work on certain kinds of plastic.

but obviously you would also need primer, sand paper, matching paint, clear, rubbing compound/polishing compound and a buffer if you want your arms not sore.

Comment

Ahhh- I know how to tell it's definitely painted...it came with a 92-93 lip!

Comment

Just get a sad paper kit from the auto parts store and sand it down. You can wet sand it to make it smooth but not too smooth or the primer might not hold onto it.
                      There are alot of places to buy paint locally. Queens has lots of places if you want to buy paint. I think it was like $40 a pint for paint around where I live.

Comment

the only way to remove the paint is with sanding, as any other way would destroy the plastic. later.
                        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Working...
                        X