Is there such thing as a filler Primer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there such thing as a filler Primer?

I'm repainting my car, and wanted to know there was such thing as a "filler primer". I'm imagining it would be a thicker substance that "fills" in the imperfections and it turn makes the final job come out better.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks,
    Adam

yes. if you're talking about gun paint (and not spraycan crap) - and that's the primer/ surfacer stage (as opposed to the sealer)

actually many primers are reduced anyway, so the further you reduce the less "filling" they are - and when applied correctly, yes they will help even up the low spots in your body - they won't necessarily make them disappear, but they'll help

follow your paint instructions on reducing it correctly - i mean theres a range on how thin you can go or thick - but you dont want to clog your gun or take your paint off because youre WAY to thin... and talk to your paint dealer about the best choice for your application

breathing is deadly underwater...

Comment

theres filler primer in a can also. works fine for me

Comment

Comment

yes, true, but he's gun spraying the car - its not so great to mix the mediums

Comment

i believe what im the girl was refering to was epoxy primer which is much stronger and gives a nicer finish than the spray can filler primer

the build and demise
            buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

The Primer that the guy sold me at the store acutally had a thinner that you added to it. So that's how you controlled how thick it was.

Dupont ownzzz....so far.

Comment

dupont 2k primer...this is some really good primer..

COMMENT MY RIDES!!!!

91 blue accord ex 4 door automatic

Comment

that's what I was using. Over $100 a gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by HF22T
                    i believe what im the girl was refering to was epoxy primer which is much stronger and gives a nicer finish than the spray can filler primer
                    you are correct - and its not that you CANT krylon-prime a car and then spray gun it - its just the quality IS a hell of a lot better with an air tank and HVLP

Originally posted by AccordAnimal
                    The Primer that the guy sold me at the store acutally had a thinner that you added to it. So that's how you controlled how thick it was.

Dupont ownzzz....so far.
                    "thinner" like acetone or what? its called "reducing" the paint. and yeha - thats your epoxy primer - that's how they're made - if you ALSO used a primer sealer as your first step - well then youll know there was a difference in preparing the paint and a difference in the "job" each paint has

$30/k a year for art school and this is what i have to show good luck, adam

Comment

Originally posted by AccordAnimal
                      that's what I was using. Over $100 a gallon.
                      dupont sux... sikkens is where its at 100/gal is pretty darn cheap IMO. But, better than the spray can stuff.

When I painted my bike, I just used the spray can primer. Isnt the greatest, but havnt had any problems, and I didnt feel like cleaning out the gun 2x as many as i do when just painting it.

Comment

The Dupli-Color filler primer can shown above is probably gonna be your best bet if you're doing small areas. If you're doing the whole car or large sections, I'd get a gallon of 2K Primer. The Dupli-Color is ounce for ounce as good as the best primer you can buy. Add up how many cans of that primer equal one gallon, and multiply the price by the number of cans, you get about the same price....but what do I know? It's not like I've not painted 20 cars or anything....

(I actually have painted a lot, and I know what I'm talking about)

Comment

Originally posted by KoNEY
                          The Dupli-Color filler primer can shown above is probably gonna be your best bet if you're doing small areas. If you're doing the whole car or large sections, I'd get a gallon of 2K Primer. The Dupli-Color is ounce for ounce as good as the best primer you can buy. Add up how many cans of that primer equal one gallon, and multiply the price by the number of cans, you get about the same price....but what do I know? It's not like I've not painted 20 cars or anything....
                          (I actually have painted a lot, and I know what I'm talking about)

Yeah, if you are going to paint a bunch of stuff.. get a gallon of primer, and maybe a cheapie spray gun. But for smaller parts, a spray can will do. Not only will it save you time just buying the gallon, it'll end up saving money, and a sore thumb.

And rock on dupont... sikkens paint doesnt get my vote anymore cuz they f'ed me over on my final paycheck.

Comment

u guys need to learn some tricks....

you just put the primer on thick (let it prettymuch drip) then u sand it down... body shops do it all the time...

Comment

All I use is 2k High Build primer for most jobs. And no, I don't put it on so heavy that it runs off. A nice, even coat or two is all you need. If you've done the body work to as smooth as you can, using 120-ish grit paper on the final spot/finishing putties. Then you may not even have to put it on heavy at all.

Spraying the primer on very heavy with many runs takes more time to sand out and smooth with the finishing grit than if you were to do a nice, even coat or two, if you end up having to cut the primer back with a rough grit you kind of defeat the purpose of highbuild anyway. It fills very minor imperfections and sand marks, not dents ;p
                              1990 Accord LX - Custom Paint, Dropped.
                              Rockin' on Stock Rims. First and Current Car.

84' 300ZX Turbo being built as a second toy.

Comment

Working...
                              X