Winter is coming!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter is coming!!!

So I'm gonna let my car sit in the driveway throughout the winter and was wondering if there is a proper way to do this? Will a car cover be OK? I just painted the car earlier this year so I don't want the snow to fuck it all up. Rust sucks. What else do I need to do before the snow comes if it's going to be sitting outside for 5-6 months? BTW, the garage have been taken by my parents. They are trying to sell their house so all their belongings will be in the garage til something happens (possibly spring).

MODS: if this is in the wrong section, please move it.

Couldn't of been done without you guys

Some People

Hello Whats up some people like to throw the car on wheel stands to take it off the tires and rims for snow and ice and stuff like that other than that man just make sure you starts it and let it run til its warm and stuff ,, I had a Car i didnt Register for 2 years and made it no problem just used a regular soft car cover then added a Completelly water proof tarp to the top just during winter months to make sure it was set .. anyways hope you work it out also a little but what color is that paint i like it alot and im about to paint my ride soon ...thanks Pm Please
    Fore Sale" My Ride "Best Time To Date 14.9 @ 94 MPH ...

Comment

I don't like the cover idea. The blowing wind is going to make the cover flap round, which will rub the paint off the corners/sharp edges. I'd polish and wax it if you haven't lately and find indoor storage. A friend from church has indoor storage available, under $200 for 6 months. That's where my 93' CB767 is going til spring. Contact me if your interested.
      It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

wash, wax then spray the whole car with oil.. heard from somone somtime ago.. this is what they used to do when importing/shipping cars accross the seas to protect it from the salty wind and h20..

Comment

I say if you have a relative park it in their garage and jsut cover it up other than that put some steelies back on there and let it rest up start it twice a week for 6 minutes and let it sit.

Comment

H22sparkle and yeahman17- is it really needed to start your car once or twice a week?
            93cb7- I'd like to keep the car in my driveway so I could do some work on it on days were the weather isn't so bad. Oh, welcome to CB7tuner!
            Casterx- I can't wax my car. It's Maaco paint and not recommended to be waxed. Warranty will be void.
            noxidea- I got my car painted at Maaco and the color is graphite silver metallic.

Couldn't of been done without you guys

Comment

i stopped driving my car in september. it had just been sitting in my driveway for about a month and a half. then i went home on thanksgiving from school and i started it up, and felt like it had been driven 5 mins before i got in it. i got a car cover thats soft, waterproof and breathable. before it starts to snow my dads puttin it on (i cant, ill be at school) and he said it shouldnt have any problems in the spring starting up. hopefully the snow n stuff doesnt mess anything up tho...or just letting it sit.

Comment

there is something that u can put in the fuel tank that will preserve the fuel or shit like that.
                other than that u should be fine
                are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

when i store vehicals for that amount of time this is what i do.
                  1. block the car, dont set "e" brake, your brakes may end up locking in the calipers
                  2. get some cheap oil, and completly fill up the engine. it will presurve your seals. but what ever you do, dont crank it over while it is all filled up.
                  3. go to a reputable paint supply shop. purchess 2 "dehumidifieres. place one in the trunk, and one in the cabin. it will keep your car from molding and condisating.
                  4. purchess a high quality car cover. one that breathes out but not in.
                  5. go to auto store and get some bungee cords.
                  6. home depot, purchess a tarp. like a 9'x10', so it will wrap totally around. get the kind that has the metal "eye" holes in it around the edges. place over top of the car cover and use the bungee's to secure the tarp and making it a tight fit.

if you fallow these tips you should have a beutifully presurved car come spring.

Comment

Originally posted by headbussaboi
                    I can't wax my car. It's Maaco paint and not recommended to be waxed. Warranty will be void.
                    What the hell kind of crap paint are they using at Maaco that you can't wax? Krylon rattle can or some sort of water colors, or did they give a time frame that you can't wax your car, such as 30 days after the initial painting?
                    Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                    2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                    2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                    2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Yeah wait a minute, unless they mean your paint is warranted for 30 days and poof. But yes there is cure time, but no wax ever?? Tell me I'm misreading that.

I have part of my car in for paint right now (2/3 was done in April--insurance related) and following up on the rest now. Obviously by the time the new paint has cured it will be cold...so I'll be waxing it in shifts.
                      '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                      EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

Originally posted by yeamans17
                        just make sure that you add some heat to your gas, and start it at least once a week so the fuel doesnt separate, if anyone has anything negative to say about heat i would like to hear it?
                        AKA fuel stabilizer...(get it anywhere even wallyworld) fill the ol' gas tank up (to prevent condensation) and add the suggested amount of the stabalizer... that will keep the gas from separating...

Comment

Working...
                        X