Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mugen style muffler on left, is it worth the trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mugen style muffler on left, is it worth the trouble?

As dumb as this sounds, I want to get a Mugen style muffler and put it on the left side, a la Skylines and Supras. Yeah, it won't add any power or give me any legit JDM cred, but somehow I think cars look better with the exhaust on the wrong side. Would it be worth the custom work involved? The muffler's $70 on Ebay, here it is in all its glory:

Let me know what you think...I don't plan to slap this on until May but I still wanna see what people think...

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

seems like a huge waste of time and money to me. you drive an accord, you're not going to fool anybody.

Comment

Why would you spend 70 bucks on something that isn't going to make a sound difference in either hp tq or verbally? I would say save your dough for other goodies. And how do you know if its mugen or not, it just says oem something er other on it, I wouldn't buy mugen parts off ebay unless I knew the seller or knew the exact product. And as far as JDM credit....its an OEM muffler and unless you have everything else done to your car and this is a "finishing piece" , I wouldn't waste your money....just my 2 cents.
      No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

Comment

lol that shit is DEFINETLY not a mugen can.. here is a mugen can

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Re: Mugen style muffler on left, is it worth the trouble?

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
          I want to get a Mugen style muffler and put it on the left side
          he said mugen "style" muffler.

S A N D I E G O

Comment

Y is everyone so concerned with mufflers in the first place. As far as i know they do not add hp at all, well there was that one muffler (axle back) and it cost $379 for 3hp in the top end and lost waaaaay more power anywhere below like 4K rpm. I don't understand, will somebody please enlighten me? And why is it most ppls first mod? And who told these ppl that farty muffler sounds were cool?
            Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

well, i know that with turbo setups the more straight through it is and the bigger it is, the better it is than stock. That actualyl does free up hp. But with n/a engines i dont know too much about how the backpressure and all that works. I've heard that straight through will actually hurt you but i dont know that for sure, its just what ive heard. And the angry bees escaping from a coffee can sound does suck ass, but not all exhaust systems sound like that. but yeah, it can free up power, but i dont know how much on an n/a set up, im sure one of the more knowledgeable guys on here will however.
              2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
              2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

Originally posted by chessboxer
                well, i know that with turbo setups the more straight through it is and the bigger it is, the better it is than stock. That actualyl does free up hp. But with n/a engines i dont know too much about how the backpressure and all that works. I've heard that straight through will actually hurt you but i dont know that for sure, its just what ive heard. And the angry bees escaping from a coffee can sound does suck ass, but not all exhaust systems sound like that. but yeah, it can free up power, but i dont know how much on an n/a set up, im sure one of the more knowledgeable guys on here will however.
                Its not the muffler that matters its the exhaust pipes diameter and combination of efficient bends. I know all about exhausts and don't believe canister style muffers add hose power at all. The straight pipes have alot more flow because of the deleted cats but at the expense of low low back pressure that our cars need to close the exhaust valves and have them seat properly. i'm at work so i can't type the rest...type later

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

technical points and hp aside, a muffler on the left side will look a bit odd, as there is not a cutout for it in the stock bumper. on the stock bumper, it will look quite foolish, as it will have to be jammed under the bumper.

perhaps you have an aftermarket bumper, that has a cutout on the left side, and then it would be feasible for you to do it: you would have to get custom piping made in order to run it to the bumper on the left. i still think that it wouldn't look quite right.

the only 2 choices that look right to me are a single muffler tip in the proper location (on the right), or dual mufflers with an aftermarket bumper that has 2 cutouts.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

I'm just getting the muffler for the looks...from how it looks it prob. saps a little HP if anything. I'll prob. just put it on the right side for now, it's def. not worth the cost/trouble...I still think it would look cool though.

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                      I'm just getting the muffler for the looks...from how it looks it prob. saps a little HP if anything. I'll prob. just put it on the right side for now, it's def. not worth the cost/trouble...I still think it would look cool though.
                      i agree

Comment

I would have to see it on the left side first beofre i can say whether or not I like it, but I would think it would definitely look interseting. Whether or not it would be worth the custom work involved is a toss up, you are definitely not going to gain any power, but it may be worth it if it looks really nice.

Comment

Working...
                        X