Alloy Wheel New Clear Coat suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alloy Wheel New Clear Coat suggestions

I am restoring some Honda alloy wheels. I have the sanding done on 2 of them and have the finish I want. I thought it might be a good time to figure out what I am going to do about a clear coat. What is a good clear coat? Is any one better than another? Do I even need a clear coat on them? Any advice would be well appreciated! Thanks.

345,000 miles and counting...

If you don't clear them they will oxidize very fast.

There are many choices for clear coat, be sure and use a high temp one or the clear plastidip as I have heard some success stories with it.

Anything that can keep raw aluminum from oxygen and corrosive brake dust would be a good choice.

Comment

http://master-formula.com/Metal%20Polish.htm

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
        If you don't clear them they will oxidize very fast.

There are many choices for clear coat, be sure and use a high temp one or the clear plastidip as I have heard some success stories with it.

Anything that can keep raw aluminum from oxygen and corrosive brake dust would be a good choice.
        I figured I did need to clear them. Anything I should avoid?

345,000 miles and counting...

Comment

Mine aren't cleared. They have been that way for close to a year. IMO they still look good. I wetsanded them with 1500-2000.

I clean them with some aluminum wheel cleaner, Meguiars in the Blue bottle. Polish them with Mag wheel polish and then some collinite on top of that. I only polish and wax about twice a year.

They have cleaned up every week. And still look good.

steve

Comment

Working...
          X