Testing Waters on interest in quarter panel patch panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing Waters on interest in quarter panel patch panels

Alright, I'm in the same situation that many of us are in. I have quarter panel rust and I need to get it fixed before it gets bad. Currently it's only about a 3" x 1" area on either side so spending $400 on a pair of full quarter panels doesn't seem to make sense for me. The only other options I've seen are tiny patch panels that are either too small or aren't positioned to cover the exact area my rust is in.

I spoke with my junkyard about pricing for quarter panels and they seem willing to work with me if I'm only getting smaller sections as their listed price is for the complete quarter panel. They would start in the $35 range for the 1sf-sized pieces and go up from there. That size is perfect for a lot of people. I can rent a gas-powered metal saw for $75 a day and it will buzz through the metal without issue. That way I could get what I need and a few more in the same day. What I want to know from everyone else is what interest there is in something like this.

Advantages:
    Smaller pieces to cut product costs and shipping costs.
    OEM tooling and not aftermarket reproductions.
    Will include portions of adjoining pieces like the fender well and trunk cavity to help those whose adjoining panels are affected also.

I'd like to hear some feedback from you guys. There is most certainly a cost involved for me in the purchase and tool rental that would be reflected in the final price. However, the more interest that could be garnered and followed through with the cheaper everyone's pieces could be.

Let me know.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

I think it would be great to have access to a larger repair panel. Up here there isnt such a thing as non rusty fenders on a cb in the junkyard. I ordered my panels from keystone and it cost me $30 a side but there are other sections I need to patch like you said, so I would say yes I would buy them if they were availible for sure!

Comment

Are you talking the weld in panels?
      Ive seen them on ebay for sale, dont know how good they are.
      Good luck to you and hope it turns out ok.

Comment

He is talking about cutting sections of quarter panels from rust free Accords in the south; depending on the extent of the repair, the pieces could be welded or installed with auto body adhesive. Keep in mind that complete OEM quarter skins were most recently list priced at over $700, but are no longer available from Honda, so if you're trying to repair a severely damaged quarter, this would be the way to go..

I'm not sure they will let you in with a gas powered saw. I cut quarters for Ruby by renting a cordless saw; they provided me with 2 batteries and a charger. I also carried in a portable jumper battery and a 12 volt to 110 volt inverter that I used to charge the first battery while I used the second. I think I used the charge of 3 batteries to do all the cutting to get two complete quarters. I also was able to salvage a large enough section from my wrecked coupe to do the small repair where rust first comes through at the rear of the wheel well.

I bought a cordless saw Saturday to cut a quarter from a car I found here in Cincinnati, so I'm set for future finds (rare around here).

If I have difficulty finding them, and need them in the future, I would be interested. Seems like a southern member should have thought of this before.
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 03-23-2014, 10:37 PM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

why not these?

http://tasauto.com/Product/Detail.as...802&d=1659&p=1

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
            Thats what I was talking about.
            Ive seen members use these before, however I have no ideal the amount of time it goes into replacing them.

Comment

The yards I go to allow people to bring in gas-powered compressors on hand carts so my saw shouldn't be a problem. I should probably clear it with them first, though.

I thought of it a while back but like most proposals on this site I assumed mine would be met with warm reception and then ultimately amount to nothing. 75% of the member's rides threads on here say something about fixing the rust on their cars. How many actually do? You're well aware that it's a small number. People are generally more concerned with modifications that have more appeal than a repair does. I can't think of one modification on my car that was not done out of some necessity for repair or that wasn't just a chance find at a junkyard. Even the aesthetic things I have gotten from junkyards and plan to install(sunroof visor, fender trim, flush mount spoiler, etc.) I won't install yet because there's work to be done. We have enough professional turd polishers on here as it is. MikeW, there's your new Jarrett quote for your signature.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                These are good for many repairs, but may not cover the extent of damage some may have and don't include the inner wheel housing if that is also extensively damaged/rusted. If you're willing to tackle the complete quarter, the only exposed seam that really needs finishing is across the C pillar; everything else is hidden by trim, bumper, lights, etc.

I guess I'm different; all the modifications in the world don't make sense to me with an unsightly rust hole in the quarters.

Contact Accrdwgnguy, he's been desperately trying to find quarters for his wagon.
                Last edited by Fleetw00d; 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

i would be very interested my drivers side is GONE...... pass side i can get away with the ebay quarter b/c it's not too badd but my drivers goes down the kick panel can only see when the door is open. : (

Comment

In Texas this may not be a problem, but in the rust belt you are better served by replacing the entire 1/4 at the factory seams. Reason being is youre just making more seams inviting more rust in. Besides the factory installed metal is still there on the parts you didn't replace just waiting for its turn to rust. Do it right or don't do it at all.
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Simply because metal is 20 years old doesn't mean it's in danger of rusting if not replaced. I'd hope that while you had some of the metal off of the car you were taking preventative measures to keep the metal that's staying protected.

Comment

I'm not saying its because of age. If you aren't completely separating the 1/4 panel lip and resealing the entire panel you aren't fixing the original cause of the rust, which is lack of seam sealer on the pinchwelds. Need proof, just check out these photos borrowed from fleetw00d's repair thread:

There is an obvious lack of sealant between the inner and outer panel, allowing dirt and moisture to get trapped in the pinchweld and over time, cause our dreaded rust. So just chopping out the rotted thru bits is really a temporary fix, and a waste of a good replacement panel. Its likely the entire arch is infected.
                        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Jarrett, if you consider this one thread jacking, let me know - it sorta seemed appropriate to keep it in this thread. The biggest problem for a lot of folks is getting the quarters from the south to the north. Like Jarrett, I'm willing to help folks out in this regard.

I will be making two trips from Cincinnati to Pensacola, FL in May with my Ford E350 van and a 6x12 trailer. I stopped in two yards in AL on my way back in January and there were plenty of rust free cars available. If there is interest, I can cut some quarter panels and bring them back as far as southern Ohio. At the U Pull a Part in Montgomery, AL, a full quarter was $100. I'll have to come up with a figure for my time and the cost of saw blades.

Comment

I would use a battery operated grinder. For two days of your tool rental you could buy one and enough lithium batteries to cut a few peices per trip. Although I don't know how many people would be Interested.
                            Last edited by cb7 calling; 03-24-2014, 10:02 AM.
                            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

I have a cordless sawzall. A second battery might be helpful, it takes about one and a half charges to get a quarter off.

Comment

Working...
                              X