Primer over paint on bumper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer over paint on bumper.

I did this this evening. I pray there are no detrimental effects for doing this seeing as it is plastic of sorts. I had to sand down my fenders for this but is it ok to strait put primer on plastic. Thanks in advance folks!!!!

Happy.
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

you can buy a addesive at your local car parts store its called bulldog addesive for plastic da one works pretty good

Comment

^ the adhesive is best to apply first just because its plastic u r painting.. since plastic (polyU is wat I'm refferrin to but reg plastic is the same way) twists more than metal it will crack the paint. Its happened to me.

I'm confused, u said u sanded ur fenders but is it ok to paint over plastic. ....quE?
      **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
      Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
      Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
        ^ the adhesive is best to apply first just because its plastic u r painting.. since plastic (polyU is wat I'm refferrin to but reg plastic is the same way) twists more than metal it will crack the paint. Its happened to me.

I'm confused, u said u sanded ur fenders but is it ok to paint over plastic. ....quE?
        What I meant was I just sprayed primer over the paint on the plastic bumper cover I haven't had to do this before I just want to make sure I did it right.
        The CB7 Collector.
        92 LX Coupe F22A1
        2013 Toyota Corolla S
        92 EX Sedan F22A1
        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

No you didn't do it rite friend, u sprayed primer rite over the bumper with the paint still on it.

You must sand sand sand first, then primer, then paint.

Mr Happy, you should kno better,

Comment

as long as you scuffed it and cleaned it with wax and grease remover or similar you did it right.

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
              No you didn't do it rite friend, u sprayed primer rite over the bumper with the paint still on it.

You must sand sand sand first, then primer, then paint.

Mr Happy, you should kno better,
              Shoot you are right...I am still getting used to being back in the game still...I will do exactly that! then. I must stop doing things in haste!!!
              The CB7 Collector.
              92 LX Coupe F22A1
              2013 Toyota Corolla S
              92 EX Sedan F22A1

Comment

It will chip/ flake off. I kno cuz I didn't want to go thru all the stepss of prep for my ext door moldings, and now they r starting to fade and crack.

I was being lazy and wanted 2 cut corners!

Comment

Working...
                X