Experimenting ideas. Bare metal CB7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AbsurdNY View Post
    Yes that is exactly what I am thinking. The only thing is I would probably have to have the curved panels shaped with a English wheel.
    English wheels require a hell of a lot of skill to use and I'm sure it would be pretty expensive to get those curved panels custom made by someone that is experienced with the wheel.
    Im not too sure of any other way of getting the aluminum or S.S. shaped where it would look really good without using a English wheel.
    Maybe its possible to use really thin peices of aluminum that can just be bent around the curved parts of the car? I would think that they would pop up in the middle areas because I would only have the rivets along the edges.
    If anyone has any suggestions, please do let me know.
    well if it was thin enough it could just be bent then riveted tightly. like a latex suit. the rivets would hold the panels in place. we could always put a strike line through the middle of each panel. Remove the molding on the doors/fenders and have a 3 line where they went and one above and below that on the sides and they can curve with the body above the wheel wells.

and three across the top from front to back. I wish i had PS to make a sketch of it.

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
    Chrome paint is nice but still expensive as hell. My friend wanted me and my buddy to paint his Audi S4 chrome we steered him away from that idea. What I meant by wrap was that 3m stuff you use to protect your front parts of the car...like a clear bra. The problem with it is that it might be a little dull. The problem with clear is that it kind of has a yellowish hue depending on which one you use and it turns out a lil dull. So pulling off an aluminum car is hard. If you want to leave it all aluminum you just have to maintain it REALLY well lol and keep an eye on it.
    Im pretty sure this would be a garaged car if it ever happened. and if you use the right material for the panels it might be easier then we think.

Originally posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post
    im gonna do the flat look, im gonna go get est this week
    flat green body, flat black bumpers, and flat black hood.
    drop it a little lower and run some flat black rotas
    relevance?

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post

relevance?
      talking about different types of paint jobs, like bare metal. chrome, and flat would be another one of those trends going on right now

Comment

talking about different types of paint jobs, like bare metal. chrome, and flat would be another one of those trends going on right now
        thats cool. but i am still missing how it's relevant to the current topic.....

Comment

Wow imagine using this:

Pretty damn cheap too!
          http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminum-Diamond...3A1%7C294%3A50

Thats a 2'x4' so figure a 4'x8' would be about double the price and maybe need about 2 sheets? Not that bad. I think I would personally would rather smooth aluminum more then the diamond plate on the exterior of the car but the price for smooth aluminum is probably cheaper then the diamond plate.
          The company I used to work for when I was in house construction carried 4'x8' sheets of aluminum that we used to use to cap the top of chimney chases. They had all different gauges. I still know most of the people there so I could probably get some for a great price.

I also found these sites when I was doing some research about annealing aluminum:
          http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=58006
          http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/heat3.htm

Edit* I'm working on a design in Photoshop right now. Just one question if anyone could help. Does anyone know how to create rivets in Photoshop? Should I take a picture of a rivet and then import it into Photoshop? Or does someone know a way to create a rivet from scratch using a brush and a aluminum effect?
          Last edited by AbsurdNY; 05-15-2009, 03:08 PM.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
          Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
          My member's ride

Comment

I did the brushed aluminum part in Photoshop and now I just have to do the rivets. It looks a little flat and I would have liked it to come out a little bit more shiny but It actually don't look too bad. Check it out:

I just messed up that little spot around the front fender by the mud flap a little bit. Kinda got cut off. I will fix it. I'm still trying to figure out how to do the rivets.

Update* I worked really hard in Photoshop and did the rivets. It still could use some touching up but you get the basic idea of what the car will look. Took a long time to do. Getting the spacing even was really hard.

Last edited by AbsurdNY; 05-15-2009, 08:55 PM.

Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
            My member's ride

Comment

lol a diamond plated cb7 haha at least your car would be reinforced to hell.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
                lol a diamond plated cb7 haha at least your car would be reinforced to hell.
                Haha yea it definitely would be. I would much rather the smooth aluminum though.

My member's ride

Comment

i love the look of a bare metal, weather it's brushed, polished, chromed, cast, ect.

i think riveting extra metal to the car is only a good idea if the metal used is paper thin. i thought about doing something with copper. even with thin sheets, this would be way harder than you can imagine. you'd have to stretch and shrink metal in places to make it fit right. i'd also think that riveting through the metal would introduce rust.

i recently did lots of research on bare steel finishes. the only obvious problem with a bare mild steel body besides dents, is rust. you must also make sure the metal is coated in under 24 hours to prevent moisture contaimination.

say you decide to do a bare metal body. you could clear coat it, but here's some problems you might encounter.
                  1.) the clear coat might turn yellow after a while.
                  2.) according to most people with experiance, moisture will eventually find it's way to the steel and rust it.
                  3.) without primer the paint won't stick well, so you have a good chance of the paint flaking and peeling of very easy.

i recently sanded all the paint off my core support and clear coated it. i used acetone to prep the metal and then used rustolieum clear coat to protect it.

if it starts to rust, i will try other things, such as an oil based clear coat, clear powder coat, a penetrating oil, or even a line-x type of product if i have to.

there's another form of clear i would consider. clear powder coat. it has several advantages over paint.
                  1.) cured powder coat is non porous unlike paint. this means moisture is sealed out and therefore so is corrosion and rust.
                  2.) you may think you need an oven to cure the powder coat, but you'd be wrong. they now have infrared lights that are capable of the job.

3.) it's far more scratch and chip resistant than paint.

penetrating oils.
                  there are lots of them out there, but i can only recommend one....and that's because it's the only one i know of that you can paint over if need be.

Gibbs Brand penetrant
                  http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

here's some cars with nothing but gibbs on them:

to bad the accord body isn't made from aluminum or stainless steel, then we could get away with stuff like this:

i like copper also

later.
                  Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

copper is badass!
                    1993 Accord LX - Sold
                    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                      copper is badass!
                      Yes I agree.
                      That copper looks so sick in that pic. Probably a lot harder to work with then aluminum and S.S. though. Plus the copper would need some type of protective or daily care to stop patina if it was bare.

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                      i love the look of a bare metal, weather it's brushed, polished, chromed, cast, ect.

i think riveting extra metal to the car is only a good idea if the metal used is paper thin. i thought about doing something with copper. even with thin sheets, this would be way harder than you can imagine. you'd have to stretch and shrink metal in places to make it fit right. i'd also think that riveting through the metal would introduce rust.

to bad the accord body isn't made from aluminum or stainless steel
                      Yes I agree with the metal having to be really thin.
                      The best way to do this would probably to be to sand/media blast the car down to bare steel, then use a roll on or spray out rust stopper over the metal. After that, i would probably use aluminum rivets and dip each one into the rust stopper. Also the rust stopper could be rolled onto the underside of the aluminum overlay to further take the precaution of anything corroding.

OMG I really wish the Accord body was made out of either aluminum or S.S.
                      You know that this would have been done a long time ago if it was though.

Thanks for all the info TypeG. I'm checking out that Gibbs link you posted up right now.
                      Last edited by AbsurdNY; 05-16-2009, 04:50 PM.

My member's ride

Comment

im gonna do the flat look, im gonna go get est this week
                        flat green body, flat black bumpers, and flat black hood.
                        drop it a little lower and run some flat black rotas

relevance?
                        none.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                        dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

So what does everyone think of the photoshopped pic I did with the brushed aluminum and rivets? It took me a long time to do that. Getting the rivets so straight were a real pita.

My member's ride

Comment

I dont really dig it... I think the look could be pulled off, but its for sure not my personal preference.

I think it would look good if it was done well and make to look like steel with like some rust coming out from the rivets and shit. The airbrush artist can make or break that paint job. IF it not PERFECT it will look like fuck.

I think that if you WERE to go for that look you would need to mod EVERYTHING to make it a complete show peice.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                            dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

Originally posted by AstroVannin View Post
                              I dont really dig it... I think the look could be pulled off, but its for sure not my personal preference.

I think it would look good if it was done well and make to look like steel with like some rust coming out from the rivets and shit. The airbrush artist can make or break that paint job. IF it not PERFECT it will look like fuck.

I think that if you WERE to go for that look you would need to mod EVERYTHING to make it a complete show peice.
                              Sure, but with actual rivets and just a coating on everything to keep rust out....

As for the PS.... i think it looked good as far as the rivets go. but you cant really appreciate the look of bare metal without some sort of reflection (dull or not) to show it.

Ever see about the test part? Maybe not an entire part, but a 6"x6" piece to start.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroVannin View Post

You are talking about painting here. I was thinking about painting at first but I want to try to learn more towards the the real metal overlay as I think it will look a lot better.
                                And seriously what's with the rust? Why would anyone want to do this and then have rust coming out of the rivets? That is just stupid to me. People are not going to look at that like "oh that is creative how he made the rust coming out the rivets". They are going to look at it like "damn this guy don't know how to prep his work and it looks like shit now"

Sure, but with actual rivets and just a coating on everything to keep rust out....

As for the PS.... i think it looked good as far as the rivets go. but you cant really appreciate the look of bare metal without some sort of reflection (dull or not) to show it.

Ever see about the test part? Maybe not an entire part, but a 6"x6" piece to start.
                                Yea I know what you are saying. I wanna get a test piece soon. I might take a trip to the junkyard tomorrow and get a cheap fender (any kind of car) just to test out different things. I have a little bit of scrape aluminum laying around that i will try it with. I will keep you posted.

My member's ride

Comment

Working...
                                X