why do my headlights suck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why do my headlights suck?

No matter what I do, whether it be using PIAA H4 bulbs or my current philips d4r hid bulbs with denso ballast, I always have 2 concentrated portions of the road and the rest are just dimly lit.

Anyone else having this problem?

edit:
    using jdm headlights.
    Denso Ballast
    Philips D4r 4300k
    Premade HID Relay Harness, made with 14 gauge wire w/ a 25amp fuse between the battery and relay.
    Casper Shields, h4 to d2x/d4x adapter

the best with street lighting

most of the time i see this

looks like this sort of in pitch darkness, coverage is the same but a lot dimmer.

Reason why the last picture is so bright because my girlfriend put the camera on night mode which lengthened the time the shutter remained open but it looks this way on dark dark empty stretches.
    Last edited by ikayto; 12-01-2008, 10:28 PM.

I guess I am not the only one. I have the same problem. I bought 2 sets of HIDs and they both gave 2 different outputs. It pissed me off so bad that I just stuck with the original bulbs.

CB7 --> EG2 --> ZN6

Comment

Have you had the headlights aligned?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

adjusted them, I still get concentrated blotches.

I was just expecting something like Timmyotool's outputVV

Comment

Did you try switching the bulbs and ballasts to the other side? Find out if you can narrow it down to just a bulb or just a ballast.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
          Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
          My member's ride

Comment

so bulbs and ballasts can be bad without ceasing to work?

Comment

dayum...

what did Timmy do to his lights??

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
              Honda Accord Euro-R
              Honda Odyssey Absolute
              Honda City I-DSi
              Honda Stream

Comment

make sure your bulbs are seated/oriented properly within the shields.
                ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::For Sale Thread::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::: S2K::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::: CB7:::::::::::::::: Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
                  so bulbs and ballasts can be bad without ceasing to work?
                  Yes I think they can. If the voltage regulator in one ballast is not giving enough power to the bulb I would guess it could be more dim.

Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
                  My member's ride

Comment

Originally posted by AbsurdNY View Post
                    Yes I think they can. If the voltage regulator in one ballast is not giving enough power to the bulb I would guess it could be more dim.
                    Yes your correct, We have had them at work, one is dimmer than the other.
                    Also make sure the bulbs are the same - you can get different colours, and different outputs.
                    As I said above though - Did you have them aligned or just adjust them yourself till they looked "about right" (I need this info for something else i'm creating)

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

bulbs are seated correctly with the return wire at the 6 o'clock portion. I just adjusted the headlights till they reached farther. I'll get some in car shots this wednesday night.

I do notice on start up they flash very brightly and then dim and stay that way. The brightness on start up is perfect. I hear this is common with hid setup as they need to warm up to that brightness. I only drove about 30mins at a time with my hids.

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
                        bulbs are seated correctly with the return wire at the 6 o'clock portion. I just adjusted the headlights till they reached farther. I'll get some in car shots this wednesday night.

I do notice on start up they flash very brightly and then dim and stay that way. The brightness on start up is perfect. I hear this is common with hid setup as they need to warm up to that brightness. I only drove about 30mins at a time with my hids.
                        **** that sounds funky, wen I turn my HIDs on they flash,dim and within 10 seconds they r on full power. U should get more powerful ones, I guess........
                        VTEC DUDE!!!!!!!

Comment

hmmm so the flash output should be the output in the long run once they warm up?

Comment

Do you have a HID relay harness installed with your HID's? My HID's used to flash, get dim, then gradually get brighter before I had a relay kit installed and it actually did some damage to my car. The stock wires are not meant to support the 20,000+ volts that the HID's need to fire up.

My member's ride

Comment

I'm using a hid relay harness.

I just posted my set up.
                              Last edited by ikayto; 11-25-2008, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X