A few paint questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few paint questions

Alright, In the near future I'll be doing some painting.

I want to paint everything rosewood:

1). mugen lip (normal primer + rosewood + clear)
    2). Calipers (?,?,?)
    3). Valve Cover (?,?,?)
    4). door guards (?,?,?)

The door guards I'm sure would be pretty straight forward.
    The real questions:
    a). Will regular primer, paint, clear work on the valve cover?
    b). Can I GET high temp rosewood somehow? I know it wont work for the calipers...

Thanks
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

What IS the 93 rosewood paint code? :P

edit: YR-503M Rosewood brown Metallic (yay search ) :P
    My Car

Comment

yeah, primer paint and clear should work on ur valve cover, depending that u buy good stuff. a better way would be to get ur rosewood color mixed up in a high heat paint, most autobody shops can do this. and if ur painting anything plastic, new plastic not painted, make sure to use a plastic promoter first.

"I remember u and I, parked on lovers lane, Drinking each others blood, so young and insane"

Comment

calipers need to be painted with caliper paint. you should be able to mix black, silver, and a little red to get rosewood, but then you'd have to buy 3 kits. you're better off just getting one in one of the colors they offer.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

^^^ Thats how to do it the right way.

the cheaper way is just any heat resistant paint. I did mine a few years ago with Red high temp engine paint from wal-mart. It worked fine.

Also I know in my area there are companies that can fill spray cans with any color paint you want. you could look into that.

Just make sure you cleant the calipers really really good before you start painting.
          "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
          - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

answer for A

well no....cuz it get hot...so you will need high temp paint.
            i think the only have like 4 colors....yellow,back,red,blue....i think
            MY YOUTUBE Channel Plz Sub for the Support thanks

^^^ Click for the Link ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by samuri88
              answer for A

well no....cuz it get hot...so you will need high temp paint.
              i think the only have like 4 colors....yellow,back,red,blue....i think
              I used regular paint on my valve cover...it's been fine for 2+ years.
              Originally posted by sweet91accord
              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Or I can get a rosewood high temp paint from a body shop and use it on my valve cover AND calipers :P

What's the best way to clean these? Sand blaster?

For plastic parts, plastic promoter - primer - color - clear, eh?

The side trim on our cars is one such item to use this promoter on, right?
                My Car

Comment

eh?
                  My Car

Comment

Ok, for the question about the valve cover.
                    Yes you can paint it with regular paint, but you will need to use high heat primer 500 degrees or higher. I would recommend burying it in high heat clear as well.

I would recommend using high heat paint but I wanted to say it is possible to do it with regular paint too.

Comment

Valve cover does not get that hot. I have had a Bordeaux red valve cover on for over 1 year. No chipping or flaking. I just wish I would have put clearcoat on it.
                      Gary A.K.A. Carter
                      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

I had 99cent walmart gloss black on my stock heat shield until I got a header, still looks perfectly fine.
                        wat?

Comment

Yeah I just recommend 500+ to be safe, thats what most high heat primers are anyways

Comment

so:1). mugen lip (normal primer + rosewood + clear)
                            2). Calipers (?,?,?)
                            3). Valve Cover (?,?,?)
                            4). door guards (?,?,?)

Lip = normal painting + plastic promoter
                            Door bumper's = normal painting + plastic promoter?
                            Valve cover = normal painting will work, high temp primer and/or paint and/or clear will be better
                            calipers = high temp.

So now, how does high temp work? Is there a way to find a rosewood high temp or power coat?
                            Last edited by Pandemic; 03-25-2008, 12:05 AM.
                            My Car

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley
                              so:1). mugen lip (normal primer + rosewood + clear)
                              2). Calipers (?,?,?)
                              3). Valve Cover (?,?,?)
                              4). door guards (?,?,?)

Lip = normal painting
                              Door bumper's = normal painting ?
                              Valve cover = normal painting will work, high temp primer and/or paint and/or clear will be better
                              calipers = high temp.

So now, how does high temp work? Is there a way to find a rosewood high temp or power coat?
                              A rosewood powdercoat would be custom and expensive, but can be done. Honestly I do not think color matching calipers would look good. Just go with like silver or red.
                              Gary A.K.A. Carter
                              [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Working...
                              X