Maintaining Black paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintaining Black paint?

So as some of you know I repainted my car near on 6months ago, PPG Gloss Black metallic (Basecoat/Clearcoat).
    After finishing it I had the paint glass smooth.
    Now 6 months later, the paint isn't scratched, but It appears dull? It just doesn't show reflections crisp and clear like it used to.
    A light 2000 wetsand and buff brings it back again (so far I have redone the R/F guard R/F door, Roof and bonnet) - Just doing 1 panel per day, but why does it go like that? I'm thinking of putting another 2 coats of clear on the whole car, so that I can do a light wetsand every few months, but I'm sure there is an easier way?

BTW - I wash the car weekly with microfibre sponge, wax and polish monthly with applicator pads, and remove with 100% cotton towels, and use Scratch X for any minor problems. (ALL products Meguiars)
    Admitidly I use a chamois to dry it (though as I said its doesn't have scratches) Unless they are microscopic which might cause an overall effect of reducing reflections?
    Type G has said he is 99% sure chamois cause scratches - could this be the cause?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

I don't know why yours is staying dull...

Mine stays shiny, going on a year repainted here... rust reoccurring is my issue, I guess we all got our problems.

Good luck.
    Meh, not feeling the honda game anymore.
    MY CAR IS SOLD!!!

Comment

What do you drive on?
      Tiny knicks and scuffs in the clear can dull a finish if there are a lot of them, so like gravel roads and following people on the highway can kick stuff up and scratch the clear. Six months is awfully soon to be having that problem though, I would imagine you'd have to drive a lot on rough surfaces.
      Originally posted by TurboZach
      Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey
        What do you drive on?
        Tiny knicks and scuffs in the clear can dull a finish if there are a lot of them, so like gravel roads and following people on the highway can kick stuff up and scratch the clear. Six months is awfully soon to be having that problem though, I would imagine you'd have to drive a lot on rough surfaces.
        I only drive on Tarceal, except for once I drove on gravel, As I said though they aren't visable scratches. I'll get a pic up tommorow.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

instead of wetsanding every so often, why not just polish and wax the paint? later.
          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
            instead of wetsanding every so often, why not just polish and wax the paint? later.
            Because It doesn't bring it up as good - I wax and polish once a month

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Polishing and waxing with a dual action polisher (orbital)?
              '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
              EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

Working...
              X