Popped out axle joints??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popped out axle joints??

well as of working on my car today i finally got me front coilovers on and they look nice. the problem now though is i cant get the knuckle to move back into position :/. it seems like the joints on the axles popped out on both sides and now they are locked up and wont push back in. they still turn a bit but aside from wiggling around a bit wont budge at all.

any ideas?? can i try and pop the joints back in?

This happened to me on the passenger side, I had to go buy a new axle. Unless your lucky and it pops back together, you'll have to do the same. Or, you could take them both out completely and have a shop rebuild them. I think I only paid $60 for a new aftermarket cv from the parts store. Don't waste your time with buying remanned axles. I went through two of them before spending the extra $8 on a new one. Now all is good.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

dang i dont really have the time or the money to be replacing axles

what are the chances i can just pop them back in? i mean if they came out so easily why not just go back together lol. maybe if i pull the boot down and take a look?

Comment

Its going to be hard to do bro to be honest. I just popped one out a few days ago and I just used my autozone warranty and just got another one for free.
        My CB For Sale

Comment

damn :/. well this sucks. i wish i would have known this could happen and i would not have pulled on the knuckles.

any recommendations for shops to rebuild the axles. or stores where i can find new ones?? how much would all this cost me?

Comment

Any of the big parts chains will have 'em pretty cheap, and with a lifetime warranty.

Of course, you should expect to use that warranty, probably about once a year, because in my experience those suckers never make it more than a year before they are making noise again.

Comment

ok ill look into it but im not giving up on the ones i got. Im still thinking i can pop that joint back in. i looked up pictures of assembly and it looks like it should pop right back in when in the correct position. ill see how it works out. im not gonna take axle nuts off every year lol.

Comment

wow......

Ok. heres how to put them back together. Usually you can remove the axle and put it on a table upright. take your hand and put it on the stub thats out. move it all the out like pulling right on it and rotate it around. usually with some force behind it but NOT TOO much they fall back together. otherwise youll have to open the boot and realign them manually. its not bad. ive had to do it MANY times. if you need help post up or pm me as i suck at explaining things. lol
                COUPE K24

Comment

great! im glad to know it can be done lol. i dont mind taking axles off to fix them. i can do labor. i cant afford more parts right now. just spent 160 on upper control arms :/.

do you think its possible to attempt it while on the car still? i really need to get this done and dont have lots of tools. i can do it but i have to borrow and do loan a tools.

Comment

well if you got the axle nut off all you gotta do is pull it out. you probably could do it while its in the car but it would WAY easier to do it with it out.
                    COUPE K24

Comment

alright ill figure something out. anything else i should be aware of to be careful of so i dont damage anything else? lol. also will a 1/2" impact work or should i get the 3/4 for the axle nut?

Comment

well after sitting and contemplating today i came up with an idea. i think im going to remove the entire knuckle from the car and carefully pull the axle with it. i will then push the axles back together and carefully put it all back together. wish me luck.

Comment

lol

Yeah it's not hard at ALL to put them back in the right position. I just done it today for like the 4th time. It's easiest to just take the boot off and do it that way.

Slamage is worth the Damage

Originally posted by crazymikey
                          "Yes, we did officer. By the way, your eyes look a little glazed, did you just come from the donut shop?"

Comment

yeah I just did it today to an integra doing a spring install.

I pushed it back, if it didnt go in I turned it a quarter turn and forced it in. eventually it will go back in, its a trunion so it will go in someway or another.

They are made to come in and out due to turning and the differnt lengths that they do extend.
                            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

hey guys finally got down to the axles today. problem is i cant seem to get them out of the transmission and half shaft on the driver side. looks like i might need a pry bar or something. any tricks to getting them off the car and without any further damage?

Comment

Working...
                              X