Don't use Auto Zone valve cover gaskets :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't use Auto Zone valve cover gaskets :(

Rarely do I pay a mechanic to do anything on my car, however last year when I needed the timing belt done I ponied up to have it done by a mechanic. The guy who did the work for me has been a personal friend for something like 25 years, is ASE certified, and is probably the best mechanic I know. He did the job at his house, and took his time doing it, in short, I know it was done right.

I was in a hurry to get the parts for the job, and money was tight, so most of the parts came from Auto Zone. Among those parts was a valve cover gasket set, which included the upper and lower spark plug tube seals. The job was done just about exactly one year ago.

This morning, I set out to change my spark plug wires, as the ones that were on there looked like they could perhaps be the original equipment from 1994. I got a nice new set of NGK wires, raised the hood, and pulled off the first wire. There was something sloshy and wet about the sound that first wire made coming off the spark plug, and I knew it wasn't a good thing. Low and behold, it was covered with oil. For just a moment, I wondered to myself if that could be left over oil from the previous leak, after all the tube seals were all new. Sadly, a quick look down the hole confirmed that oil was leaking from the upper tube seal. And so it went, down the line, every one of the upper tube seals is leaking, Of course, it's hard to tell if the lower ones are as well.

Lesson learned, the Auto Zone gasket set isn't such a good deal, next ones will come from Honda. On the positive side, the paint is peeling off my valve cover, so I guess this will give me the perfect excuse to sand it down, and repaint it while I am changing the gaskets.

I've had the Autozone set on my ride for over two years now, no leaks at all.

Just because the guy is ASE certified and usually does a good job doesn't mean he did. Everybody can have an off day or miss something. There's only one way to be sure the job's done right: DIY.

Comment

I need a new VC gasket for my car. I usually go with OEM Honda for gaskets and such.

Comment

screw autozone parts sucks there

92 cb7 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176886

91 cb9 wagon

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
          I've had the Autozone set on my ride for over two years now, no leaks at all.

Just because the guy is ASE certified and usually does a good job doesn't mean he did. Everybody can have an off day or miss something. There's only one way to be sure the job's done right: DIY.
          Anything is possible, but I would bet against it. I grew up with this guy, and we have worked on a fair number of cars together, so I know the way he works. I really just think that it was a bad set of seals.

At any rate, I'll be getting a set of Honda gaskets, and doing the job over shortly.
          Last edited by TomQuick; 07-18-2010, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Autozone parts are butt. Go get your stuff from CarQuest Autoparts.

Just cuz the dude is ASE certified doesn't mean he's perfect. It just means he is in an elite bracket in a particular field. Don't blame the part, blame the installer.
            I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
            Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            My coupe!!!
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
            Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

I didn't say he was good because he was ASE certified, I said he was good because I've worked on cars with him, and known him most of my life, and I know that he's good.

It is still possible that he screwed the job up, I just don't think that to be the case.

It is also possible that Auto Zone parts are not very good. Having recently installed an engine mount that required ten minutes of adjustment with a hammer to get the bolt holes to line up with the frame, and having dealt with some other parts from there that were less than great, I will still assume that the problem is with the seals, at least until I get it apart and see for sure where the problem lies.

Next time around, they will be Honda parts, then there will be no doubt about the quality.

Comment

same shit here, bought a fel pro vc gasket and that fucker leaks bad got to get a new here in a day or 2. last time im wasting my money on them.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

The fel pro gasket at auto zone, oreily whatever is actually aprox 1/4' bigger on each side. I know I have measured and they never seat right. I HATE them.... I am now back to dealership only unless I can find a better source.
                  WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

Comment

same here auto zone sucks... their valve cover gaskets suck. i had to go back to oem gaskets and fixed the leak.

Comment

X2 my auto zone gasket is now responsible for my clean engine having oil gunk on it

-- Check out my CB -- My CRV blackhousing thread!!-- My CG coupe--

Comment

I always use gasket sealer with gaskets just incase they do leak. In my 300zx it takes about an hour to get to the valve cover gaskets. You have to take off so much shit. I finally did the job and then found it to leak. I got mad and 2 weeks later took it apart again bought new gaskets and used a good amount of sealant. No more leaks if there was to be any.

Half the time they do leak is when you over tighten them. Or it seeps because your PCV is malfunctioning.
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I believe the PCV to be working properly. Oil usage is nearly non existant, and PCV valve is only a year old. It's not "seeping" either, there's a healthy quantity of oil in there, and I can clearly see it running down the side of the tubes from the upper seal. I really feel that the problem is just bad seals, so I'll install a set of OEM seals / gaskets and see if that doesn't fix it up.

x2 on using silicone on everything. I did the clutch earlier this spring, and while I was in there, I pulled the oil pan, changed the rear main, and put the pan back on. I didn't get enough silicone on the gasket, and missed a bit of crud when I was scraping everything clean, and it leaked like a sieve. Had I gooed it up good with silicone, it probably would have sealed up.

Comment

what did you torque them to?
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I didn't torque them, had it done by a good friend who is a professional mechanic. I assume that he used a torque wrench and did the job properly, as I've known him for quite a long time, and always known him to do things the right way. However, you know what happens when you assume When I do the job over, I will be carefully torquing the fasteners to factory specs.

Now the brilliant question of the day: Supposing that my friend used the old forearm torque wrench, and gorilla gripped those fuckers down three times tighter than he should have (don't think they're too loose, no leaks around the valve cover gasket, on the tube seals), I'm left with two questions.

1. Is it likely that the valve cover has been tweaked enough that it won't seal up again?

2. Is there any chance that simply loosening them up, and then torquing to spec will fix the leak?
                              Last edited by TomQuick; 07-21-2010, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X