Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

CEL decoding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CEL decoding?

My car starts rough once in a while usually the first start of the day. During this period I usually get a CEL when starting up my car. It takes a few seconds to start then fires. I have also been getting bad gas mileage.Around 200 or less to a tank, all city driving.
    I have decided to check the codes and this is what I got.
    four quick flickers, pause, then eight instant flickers. Which I understand as - "48 LAF - lean air fuel sensor"
    -Then after a longer pause I get a single long pause followed by 6 quick flashes. This I understand as "16 Fuel injectors"

So what does all this break down to? The car runs fine, just gets bad gas mileage. What needs changing or fixing?
    -Thanks JTM

*BTW: It's a 91' Accord Lx stock with 97k, oil change not to long ago, new air filter and new wiring/plugs.

stop buying shit gas bro.
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Try a new fuel filter. Try some 93 gas for the hell of it.
      wat?

Comment

the quality of the gas isn't the issue. our cars are designed for "shit gas", so that's poor advice. 93 won't do anything to fix the problem.

If you're getting a fuel injector code and poor mileage, you have a fuel injector problem. Coupled with the "lean air fuel sensor" issue, that means you're not getting enough fuel. That can do some major damage to your engine! Do you ever hear a pinging sound while driving? Like popcorn in a tin can?

Look into changing those injectors. If you go to a junkyard, you can probably pocket them and they'll never know! Your oxygen sensor may have a problem as well (though if it's reading lean, then it should be working.)

Comment

Flow test your injectors.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
            the quality of the gas isn't the issue. our cars are designed for "shit gas", so that's poor advice. 93 won't do anything to fix the problem.
            Thats not what I meant. He could be getting bad gas. Unlikely but it could.
            wat?

Comment

quickangel93 made the "shit gas" comment. Still, 93 octane isn't going to fix a fuel injector issue, or a lean condition.

Comment

quickangel93 made the "shit gas" comment. Still, 93 octane isn't going to fix a fuel injector issue, or a lean condition.
                mike i ran my car on turkey hill gas and a cell came on. if the stuff they mix that makes it go lean or rich. but i could be wrong.
                miss my turbo cb7

Comment

If the gas has sediment in it, which IS possible, then yeah... I suppose so. That would clog an injector, causing a lean condition. If that's the case, you're right... but that won't fix the problem (it would prevent it in the future, though...)

Comment

If the gas has sediment in it, which IS possible, then yeah... I suppose so. That would clog an injector, causing a lean condition. If that's the case, you're right... but that won't fix the problem (it would prevent it in the future, though...)

maybe some fuel injector cleaner, or i could be a clogged fuel filter. ya know you supposed to change it like every 7-10k.
                    miss my turbo cb7

Comment

I have a fuel filter sitting in the opening to my basement... I've never changed mine. I think mine is original.

But yes, they're cheap... and not hard to do. It's smart to change it regularly.

Comment

I have a fuel filter sitting in the opening to my basement... I've never changed mine. I think mine is original.

But yes, they're cheap... and not hard to do. It's smart to change it regularly.
                        Yeah, whats my excuse? I owned my car for 120k miles and never changed my fuel filter until last month, and I work at Honda!! I know, I suck, but its fresh now. I never got that poor of mileage per tank. I usually get 300-330 using 93 octane from QT religiously.
                        1992 Accord EX 4dr 5spd - SOLD after just over a decade of ownership
                        2000 Subaru Legacy GT wagon 5spd
                        AHM Platinum Parts Counterperson

Comment

Are cars engines won't use the higher octane to an advantage so why would I burn a higher octane gas? I'm going to probably do the fuel filter. Is it possible it could be the distributor etc? And the engine runs and sounds fine. I've ran fuel injector cleaner and nothing changed. I've used it twice for two weeks. So I'm not sure. Should I just change the fuel filter and then go from there? And also would my check engine light come on only some of the time like it does if it was an injector problem? Seeing as the CEL only comes on when it starts hard/rough. (just taking longer and making some loud noise like a screeching belt or something). Watch the video

This shows me starting the car, Yes I know there is a slight valve tick, but that's because it's cold out. I start the car, then turn it off, then repeat. Listen for the loud scraping kind of noise. ( It seems really loud the idle, but that was just the video camera we used, I have normal idle).

So tell me what you think?

Comment

Originally posted by jhnyct
                            Yeah, whats my excuse? I owned my car for 120k miles and never changed my fuel filter until last month, and I work at Honda!! I know, I suck, but its fresh now. I never got that poor of mileage per tank. I usually get 300-330 using 93 octane from QT religiously.
                            I've owned my car for 7 years, I treasure it, and I own this site... But so many stupid things get neglected because of laziness!

93 octane doesn't really matter... though 330 for 3/4 of a tank is damn good! I get about 400 to a tank. I've gotten near 500 ONCE... but that was all moderate-speed highway and a very light foot (my usual 28-32 is with a bit of a heavy foot... bolt-on mods on an H22, tuned by MRX)

Comment

do you guys think it could be my dizzy cap or rotors?

Comment

Working...
                              X