Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Brake Fade - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Fade - Help

My problem is stated in the title. It only happens durring constint braking, like at long red lights or stop and go traffic. Other than those times they are fine. But when it does happen, the pedal will go down like normal and make pressure like normal. But after a few seconds it will loose pressure and need to be pressed down further or I start to move forward. If I let off the pedal and then reapply it, it will be fine few a little bit, but then the same thing. Any ideas? I have some SS lines for the front, still waiting on the back. If that fixes it I will be sure to post, but if it doesn't any other ideas? Thanks in advanced.
    Originally posted by 92dm
    I was actually just being a smart ass, and not really contributing to this at all.
    VOUCHES
    Bought from: cb95spd

master cylinder
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Yeah, that definitely sounds like the master cylinder. There is a way to check it, it involves turning the car off, pumping the pedal a couple times, and then holding the pedal down. If the pedal sinks, then you have bad lines, bad caliper, or bad master cylinder (most likely the MC).

After you put on the SS lines, you bled the system thoroughly, right?

Another thing you could check is the white plastic check valve, which is in the vacuum line between the IM and the brake booster. At idle, you should have vacuum on the break booster side of that valve.

But I would vote for your MC, I had to replace mine the end of last summer. What happened with mine is that the brakes would still work, but I had no resistance in the pedal, it would just sink when I stepped on it. What happens to them is the rubber seals wear out over time and begin to let brake fluid around them, which is what causes the pedal to go down.

You aren't loosing any fluid, are you? That would mean that you had a leak, of course, and then you would just have to look at all the lines.
      1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

I haven't put the SS lines on yet. And thanks for the tip on how to check if its the MC, never heard that before. And for the tip on the booster.
        Originally posted by 92dm
        I was actually just being a smart ass, and not really contributing to this at all.
        VOUCHES
        Bought from: cb95spd

Comment

Originally posted by benji
          You aren't loosing any fluid, are you? That would mean that you had a leak, of course, and then you would just have to look at all the lines.
          If you have no external signs of leakage the the seal in one of the pistons is leaking (the MC is effectivelty two 'cylnders' with effectively two pistons housed in the same 'tube', one 'cylinder' for each diagonally opposite pair of wheels), so fluid is leaking past the pressure seal on one of the pistons then leaking back into the reseviour, but not out of the rear seal, so no sign of leakage.

The problem is potentially dangerous, and may occur at higher speeds not just when trying to hold the car still on the brakes. In this case you'll lose pressure in one of the diagonally split braking circuits and braking performance may be unexpectedly and suddenly seriously impaired, most likely in an emergency...

Replace the MC asap.
          Regards from Oz,
          John.

Comment

what he said, defiantely a master cylinder problem if there is no leakage,my car did the same thing replaced the master and it was good...if u havent done it yet, when u replace the master cylinder i would rec a full brake fluid flush to get new juices flowing
            Lost Motion Inc. Repair and Performance Automotive

Comment

Originally posted by 92bently
              what he said, defiantely a master cylinder problem if there is no leakage,my car did the same thing replaced the master and it was good...if u havent done it yet, when u replace the master cylinder i would rec a full brake fluid flush to get new juices flowing
              Yeah, when I did mine I pretty much had to do flush, because bleeding out all 4 wheels made me go through it all just to make sure I got all the air... If there's anything to be anal about bleeding, its the brakes.
              1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Working...
              X