Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

need help unerstanding compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help unerstanding compression

i need help understanding compression ratios and how to get them where you want them...like what the hell does 11.1 or watever those numbers mean.
    clicky the siggy!!!

ARCADIA GREEN MEMBER #20

AIM=SleepygreenCB7
    Yahoo=annamaineeak@yahoo.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by sleepygreen
      i need help understanding compression ratios and how to get them where you want them...like what the hell does 11.1 or watever those numbers mean.
      auto shop pop quiz?
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

nah no pop quiz...i never took autoshop i learnd to do most of my own DIYs and repairs by just doin it and if i mess up i have no other choice but to fix it...but thankx for the link. that stuff is confusing!!
        Last edited by sleepygreen; 01-18-2008, 10:57 PM.
        clicky the siggy!!!

ARCADIA GREEN MEMBER #20

AIM=SleepygreenCB7

Comment

compression ratios. well you only start getting familiar with them the more you research. it all depends on what you wanna do which will determine a safe ratio for you. for example. stock cb7s are like 8:8. if you want to boost you can keep it here. some go 9:0 up to 9:5. the lower the number when boosting, the more room for error for the tuner. the higher the ratio, more chance to denotate(engine knock). but you get more horsepower. NA you want your numbers higher.that number depends on your motor. i don't know about the stock cb7 range. a h22 is 10:5 stock jdm or usdm is 10 but it also depends on what year the motor is. for street most don't exceed 11:5 but with a near perfect tuner you can go 12-12:5 on pump gas. i am still learning myself on all this but this is what i got out of the years i have been in the game. compression can be changed via pistons, camshaft or head gasket and boring. do them all and you better know what you doing.
          91 Ex CB9
          JDM h22 auto swap, now w/H23 5spd conversion, short ram intake w/K&N filter, DC ceramic header, 2.25" custom catback exhaust, AMR Engineering coilovers, 205/50/16's Enkei RS5's, front slotted rotors, Xenon body kit.

W.I.P.
          p72 ecu on Hondata

To Come
          Weight Reductions
          R33 or R34 front end

Comment

so what happends if i get a (bigger?) gasket?
            clicky the siggy!!!

ARCADIA GREEN MEMBER #20

AIM=SleepygreenCB7

Comment

so what happends if i get a (bigger?) gasket?
              If you get a thicker head gasket compression goes down. But the thicker the head gasket the more the chance of it blowing out.

Comment

wow i dunno none of this stuff but thankz i was really thinkin about gettin a thicker gasket...
                clicky the siggy!!!

ARCADIA GREEN MEMBER #20

AIM=SleepygreenCB7

Comment

The correct way to list a compression ratio would be something like 8.8:1. It simply means that when the piston is at the bottom of its stroke, the volume inside the cylinder is 8.8 times the size it will be when the piston reaches the top of the stroke. Changing your compression ratio can be a tricky business if you're not fully prepared for any catastrophe that may occur. Using a thicker head gasket to increase your compression ratio, as stated, increases your chance of blowing the gasket, since gasket material has far less strength than metal and will reach a point where it cannot contain the compression of the cylinder. Increasing your compression ratio brings with it the risk of bending valves and detonation, which can hole a piston or burn out exhaust valves. Do a lot of research and consult professionals before fooling around with compression ratios if you want to minimize your risk of destroying your engine.
                  ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
                  '93 EX 5-speed coupe
                  Short ram intake
                  Tenrai Himoto catback
                  Smashed front end
                  Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

if your looking to go thicker use a copper gasket! That should stop u from blowing your gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by Camurai
                      Using a thicker head gasket to increase your compression ratio, as stated, increases your chance of blowing the gasket, since gasket material has far less strength than metal and will reach a point where it cannot contain the compression of the cylinder. Increasing your compression ratio brings with it the risk of bending valves and detonation, which can hole a piston or burn out exhaust valves.
                      Just to avoid confusion from a probable typo, a thicker head gasket will decrease compression, a thinner one will raise it.

I've never heard of higher compression nor detonation causing bent valves, this is caused by the valves hitting the piston or debris being sucked into the motor.
                      Regards from Oz,
                      John.

Comment

I'm sure he meant that valves can be bent with higher compression because usually, higher compression means high piston dome, which means tighter valve to pistons clearances.

That'd be my guess anyways.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Ahh, then Camurai means that careless assembly can cause bent valves...

When fitting higher dome pistons the valve to piston crown clearance should always be checked with plasticene on top of the piston. Place plasticene on top of the pistons then bolt down head using an old head gasket (don't need to torque all the way), rotate the engine several revolutions, the pull the head off and measure the thickness of the valve squashed plasticene to see if it's the clearance is tighter than spec.
                          Last edited by johnl; 01-19-2008, 06:35 AM.
                          Regards from Oz,
                          John.

Comment

if you don't know what your doing you can get it clayed by a professional. its always better to be safe than sorry. but as most upgrades, do your research. that way you know what your getting into and you can troubleshoot better if something fails. educate yourself as best you can because not all shops have dealt with all types of problems.
                            91 Ex CB9
                            JDM h22 auto swap, now w/H23 5spd conversion, short ram intake w/K&N filter, DC ceramic header, 2.25" custom catback exhaust, AMR Engineering coilovers, 205/50/16's Enkei RS5's, front slotted rotors, Xenon body kit.

W.I.P.
                            p72 ecu on Hondata

To Come
                            Weight Reductions
                            R33 or R34 front end

Comment

Im not a expert at this but From my understanding a low compression piston is usually flat. A high compression piston is dome shaped. So a low compression piston takes more air and fuel to combust. when High compression takes less. So in a turbo application a low compression piston allows enough volume for all the forced air and fuel.

This is my 91 accordwagon ex-r her name is Layshia

This is my other wagon her name is Tangy

Comment

Working...
                              X