Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Using a VAFC to pass emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a VAFC to pass emissions

I have a 91 Accord LX sedan 5spd with a JDM H22A. Anyway, today I went to get it emissions tested, and I failed horribly (over 2000ppm of HC when it should be 220, and for CO I got 4.02% and it should be 1.20%). I know there is obviously something wrong with my setup, and I will try to find it, but even if I can only get it down to like 400ppm, can I use a VAFC to take away some fuel during the test? They test at idle and 2500RPM, no load test. And what do you think could make it that bad? My speedometer doesn't work so I don't know the gas mileage. It doesn't smoke at all. I still need to change the distributor cap and rotor, pcv valve, and air filter. But it has new plugs (NGK vpower), wires (neuspeed), fuel filter, O2 sensor, new catalytic converter, and it has a stock JDM P13 ecu OBD1. Thanks!

Cliffs:
    1. Horribly failed emissions (2000+ppm, should be 220ppm)
    2. No smoke, did tune up (except for cap, rotor, air filter, PCV valve)
    3. If I get the emissions down some (like to 400ppm) can I use a VAFC to get them down to 220?
    -Josh

91 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed (daily/project) - JDM H22A swap
    91 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 5-speed 2.3L (broke)

Maybe if you have a nice air/fuel gauge so you don't lean it out to much.
    -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

Should I get a wideband, or would a regular one work with my new O2 sensor?
      -Josh

Comment

You can try to tune it with the stock o2. VAFC can lean out the mixture. But you need to do it on a dyno. You do it on the street you risk fuckin shit up. And make sure your cat is warmed up all the way and do an oil change before that should help.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

clean out the EGR valve? and yeah make sure you drive the car hard before you go in to get the cat. heated up REALLY well, it works best when hot, that's how it neutralizes all the bad emissions.

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

using a vafc will not make you pass IMO. even if you lean it way out, you will still have carbon monoxide and nitrous oxide that need to be converted into, carbon dioxide, h20, and nitrogen.

due to your high amount of hydrocarbons, i'd say you have a bad cat and possible clogged egr ports. later.
            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

hmm, I actually might have wired the EGR wrong (I used the H22A EGR with my Accord harness), so that might be it (ie: EGR system non functioning). The cat is brand new, along with the O2 sensor, but I don't want to fuck them up so I'm probably not going to drive it any more until I fix it.

With the VAFC idea, I was going to get some type of A/F guage, either wideband or use the stock O2, and just lean it out for the test (5 minutes tops, 30 seconds for idle test, 120 seconds for 2500RPM test), then set it back to 0 until I can get a real tune done. So my plans are to change the cap, rotor, pcv valve, air filter, oil change, hook up EGR correctly, get rid of all CEL's, and try it again! Thanks!
              -Josh

Comment

leaning the vehicle out will NOT help you pass! It will make you fail because when you lean out the mixture you raise cylinder pressure and temperature and this creates NOX which is one of the things they are metering during emmissions. Also Do not tune with a stock o2 sensor. they dont tell you anything other than the o2 sensor is working. If you are going to do it i would use a vafc and find a local shop that has a 5 gas analyzer or take it to a dyno shop that has a 5gas analizer. a wideband is only going to tell you if you are rich or not and does not tell you CO NOX or HC levels.

Or you could be cool like me and run e-85 and you can pass emission without a cat cause it burns so clean!! woo hoo!!

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                member ride thread
                11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord
                  leaning the vehicle out will NOT help you pass! It will make you fail because when you lean out the mixture you raise cylinder pressure and temperature and this creates NOX which is one of the things they are metering during emmissions. Also Do not tune with a stock o2 sensor. they dont tell you anything other than the o2 sensor is working. If you are going to do it i would use a vafc and find a local shop that has a 5 gas analyzer or take it to a dyno shop that has a 5gas analizer. a wideband is only going to tell you if you are rich or not and does not tell you CO NOX or HC levels.

Or you could be cool like me and run e-85 and you can pass emission without a cat cause it burns so clean!! woo hoo!!
                  Did you have to retune for e85? I was thinking about just running a tank mix of e85 and normal premium fuel just to see how it would run and if it would help my h22a pass emissions. You think I might need to retune for that or is it just an overall fail idea lol. Oh yea as mentioned vafc will take you to a certain point before its no good. Also excessive leaning causes excessive heat not good for motor and causes the symptoms as mentioned.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

You mentioned your cat is new, is it a stock cat or a "high flow"? Change your air filter and anything you havent changed yet and like they said get it really really hot before you test it. Also maybe I didnt catch it but did you list any mods you have? It might help some of the experts on here diagnose it. good luck man

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                      Did you have to retune for e85? I was thinking about just running a tank mix of e85 and normal premium fuel just to see how it would run and if it would help my h22a pass emissions. You think I might need to retune for that or is it just an overall fail idea lol. Oh yea as mentioned vafc will take you to a certain point before its no good. Also excessive leaning causes excessive heat not good for motor and causes the symptoms as mentioned.

E 85 just requires tuning and bigger injectors. DO NOT mix with gasoline. though it may work i wouldnt put any more than one gallon per full tank of 87.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                      member ride thread
                      11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                      DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                      People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                      I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                      John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Its an OEM replacement type cat, that "exceeds OEM filtering standards" or something like that. Car is completely stock, except it has a ebay USDM 92-95 prelude VTEC header on it. Im going to work on it a little today if possible and try to "finish" the tuneup. thanks!
                        -Josh

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord
                          E 85 just requires tuning and bigger injectors. DO NOT mix with gasoline. though it may work i wouldnt put any more than one gallon per full tank of 87.
                          I kinda figured that I was hoping I can get away with some in the tank oh well.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Your not passing b'cuz you're running a jdm ecu which is causing u fail,some people switch ecus b4 they smog. jdm motors have a higher compression rate then U.S motors keep the in mind but try the ecu switching u might get lucky.
                            NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
                            DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Originally posted by Darkcloud
                              Your not passing b'cuz you're running a jdm ecu which is causing u fail,some people switch ecus b4 they smog. jdm motors have a higher compression rate then U.S motors keep the in mind but try the ecu switching u might get lucky.
                              agreed
                              or you can have it classified as a hot rod(diiferent parameters)

Comment

Working...
                              X