Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

still need help with cylinder head install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still need help with cylinder head install

ordered new head from advance auto,also all new belts, water pump,n so on.the head was complete,n my mechanic transferred the rockers from the old head and put in my new camshaft,we lined all the grooves and notches up.pretty sure he had the motor at T.D.C. started it up n the head was making a loud popping noise.took the valve pan off n noticed some valve springs were sticking. did we not put it in time right n if not what else should we have done for the timing. my mechanic says the head was deffective so i got another head,but still waiting for next install,hope to not repeat ourselves this time ,any advice.

1. Buy a manual
    2. Check valve adjustment before installing always. Those shops usually dont adjust the valves when you get the head back.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i got a manual.this sounds dumb but do we need to use a timing gun, or will it be in time good enough,with the gears n notches all lined up. what would make valve springs stick? the car started right up just had a loud popping. any advice on maybe getting my orininal head refurbished n shit. oh yeah, how would we check the valve adjustment cuz my dude says he did all the shit right but hows a company gonna mess up,assembling a head when thats what they do ya know.oh yeah do u know anything about placing a 8mm pin or equivalent size or sumethin in the back of the block during the head change? read it in the manual wasnt sure if that needed to be done.
      Last edited by therealness; 01-16-2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

u use the timing gun when adjusting ignition timing by turning the distributor......u need feeler gauges to check whether or not the valves need adjustment....it should tell u in you in your manual how to do the valve adjustment.
        My Members Ride Thread

Comment

If it's popping, the phsyical timing is off(you didn't line up the marks correctly)

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by therealness
            ordered new head from advance auto,also all new belts, water pump,n so on.the head was complete,n my mechanic transferred the rockers from the old head and put in my new camshaft,we lined all the grooves and notches up.pretty sure he had the motor at T.D.C. started it up n the head was making a loud popping noise.took the valve pan off n noticed some valve springs were sticking. did we not put it in time right n if not what else should we have done for the timing. my mechanic says the head was deffective so i got another head,but still waiting for next install,hope to not repeat ourselves this time ,any advice.
            1) If you mean that your mechanic transferred rockers and along with them the camshaft upper caps, this should NEVER be done. They are a matched set with the head itself. You're taking the chance of camshaft journal interference.

2) Get a manual to verify you are setting the physical timing (cam gear vs crankshaft relation) in the correct manner. Look in the technical section stickies and see "online resources" for a PDF file of whatever you need from a manual if you're cheap. Print that off for a guide.

3) I would get help from a different mechanic because it seems like he is familiar with these motors at all.

4) Any head from sitting around, smack the top of each valve with a plastic/nylon/rubber mallet a few times each to unstick the valves from the guides. I personally found this can happen when a head sits for months, awaiting installation. Remember, you bought it pre-assembled and it could have sat in warehouse for a while before you got it.
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by therealness
              i got a manual.this sounds dumb but do we need to use a timing gun, or will it be in time good enough,with the gears n notches all lined up. what would make valve springs stick? the car started right up just had a loud popping. any advice on maybe getting my orininal head refurbished n shit. oh yeah, how would we check the valve adjustment cuz my dude says he did all the shit right but hows a company gonna mess up,assembling a head when thats what they do ya know.oh yeah do u know anything about placing a 8mm pin or equivalent size or sumethin in the back of the block during the head change? read it in the manual wasnt sure if that needed to be done.
              A screwdriver will work that fits in the rear balance shaft groove, which is accessed through the rear balance shaft access plug that you are talking about. All this is covered in a good manual in doing an timing belt job, which is part of replacing the cylinder head. You have to remove the Tbelt to get the head off and then reinstall the belt when head is installed.

Get a manual or reference one like I said in previous post! It's in our forum. Again, leave that mechanic and find another or local member near you, this guy obviously does not know this motor!
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

He didn't say he transferred the cam caps from the old head onto the new, but yeah, that shouldn't be done. They are a matched set with the head.

As for valve adjustment: Get yourself a set of feeler gauges. That's all it takes to check the alignment. If you want to adjust them, there's a special tool that allows you to hold the slotted screw of the rocker adjuster, while tightening the lock nut. It's not essential, but its nice to have.
                1990 Accord LX Sedan, B-49M

Comment

aftermarket cam

so if i used an aftermarket cam id have to use different caps

Comment

Working...
                  X