Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Has any one ever seen, or has, a j30a1 engine in their CB7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crusty Crayon
    Well I suggest we get a V8 hemi and some tracker trailer springs and test that out.

tractor trailer

and just in case, this is a "thread" not a "tread"

tires have TREAD, not thread.

shoes have SHOE STRINGS, not velcro, unless you're my granddad and he says he refuses to spend 30 seconds a day bent over tying his damn shoes, so he uses velcro.

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7

tires have TREAD, not thread.
      haha thats funny as hell .... but, technically, tires do have thread.. inside of them... but none the less, that made me LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Crusty Crayon
        I don't know, I was just asking, and I am guessing no one has done it yet. You sound almost mad that someone would even think it. I was just going off of the numbers in the engine posting. I just figured it would be nice to have 195 trq with 200 HP. I didn't think about weight and all that. Just asking
        yeah i was kinda heated at why you would want to do this. I mean it isn't as fun as a H22 when it hits VTEC, i sat in Owequitit's car when he kinda opened it up and GAWD it sounds nice. The v6 vtec just wouldn't scream that loud. I doubt anyone's gonna do this for long time. But hey you could be the first right?

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

owequitit is one of the most interested in the J swap. I think he has a J series in his room that he secretly humps at night.

The J series would be a bit heavier, I'm sure. The car would be front-heavy. However, the J series is very potent, especially the newer ones. There is a bit of an aftermarket for them as well. Unlike the H22's high-revving powerband, the J would have a nice torquey low-end pull. Satisfying in a totally different way. Put a supercharger on it, and it'd be quite nice. You can also made a 6 speed transmission to it.

A V6 swap wouldn't be good for an autocross car, or even a road course car. It wouldn't handle as nimbly as a 4 cylinder CB7. However, it'd be very nice on the highway, and if you can maintain traction, it'd be quite quick off the line.

I'd love to see the swap done. I wouldn't want to take the time to do it, though. I'm not a huge fan of bigger engines in FWD cars. I believe FWD is better suited to higher-revving small engines, due to traction issues. You don't need more torque down low when you're only going to spin your wheels!

Comment

I think the J's are something like 50 lbs more than an h22. So not THAT much heavier than stock. Its discussed in the swaps.

Benefits, more power and torque! Use a j35 and you put something like 260 hp to the wheels and I think over 200 tq. Or high tq numbers. And you're the first one to do it! It's rare! It sounds sweet! It has 6 gears as a tranny option! Etc...

Not that I want to do it, just saying.
            Click for my ride thread.

Comment

The 50lbs can be VERY significant depending on where it is, though. If it's in front of the axle, it'll make the car very nose-heavy. If it's behind the axle, it won't be as bad.

I'd love to see a V6 CB7. I'd love to ride in a V6 CB7... but I don't think I'd want to make a V6 CB7 for my own use. If I'm going to perform major surgery, I'm going RWD with S2000 parts.

Comment

The J series shipping weight is UNDER 400lbs. About 385 actually, and that includes the crate. At the best estimate I can get from yards with both engines, it is within about 20lbs of an H22, so total weight on the nose wouldn't necessarily be much heavier. It is also physically smaller than an H22 with the manifolds bolted on. That I HAVE measured.

The main dynamic disadvantage would be the fact that more mass would be ahead of the front wheels I am guessing, simply because of the added width. Whereas an H22 sits mostly between the 2 tires, I would expect a good portion of the J series mass to sit in front of them, just by virtue of the layout.

As far as why you would want to do it?

How about the fact that the new J35 bolted to the 6 speed in the new Accord coupes is laying down around 250WHP and 230 WTQ on 87 octane before being fully broken in? Based on increases I have seen on other J series, there is probably another 10 or so WHP to be had if you run 91 (the new Honda V6 ECU's can compensate for premium fuel), and basic bolt-ons could get you in the vicinity of 300WHP. All while maintaining stock redline, tuning, stock block, and stock reliability.

Not to mention the power curve, which usually has about 90% of peak torque available all the way from just off idle to about 6K. Rev limit is at 7100 on most of them. Not exactly a revving slouch. And they sound magnificent.

Considering that people with STOCK J35's are getting TL Type S's and the new Accord coupes into the 13's, imagine how it could run in a car weighing 700-1000lbs less, assuming you can get it to hook up.

Not to mention boost. They absolutely LOVE the boost. I have seen 85-90WHP gains from less than 5 lbs of boost on otherwise 100% stock engines. 300WHP is not hard. Neither is 350 for that matter. There is at least one guy on Hondatech who claims to have seen over 400HP NA.

An auto tranny car with 4.5 supercharged lbs was laying down about 270WHP untuned. His buddy with a 6MT was laying down 307WHP with a partial tune, at the same boost level. I am sure a full tune and an 8lb pulley would make for nice improvements.

The other nice thing about the J series is there have been millions of them produced, since Honda's only other V6's were retired with the last Gen RL and the NSX. The J series has pretty much been the only Honda V6 since 1998 when it made it to the Accord. The upside to this is commonality, and the fact that they range in displacement from 3.0-3.7 liters, and HP from 200-300, even though quite a few are underrated in stock form, the new 6M Accord being a good example. Based on WHP, it is actually closer to 285-290 crank HP, on 87 octane. You can bastardize them just like you can with the B/K/F/H series. You can find a 3.5L block, put Type S heads, swap cams etc. They aren't all identically the same, but you can usually find a combination of stock parts that will work perfectly. And all manual trannies are compatible with each other. They also have factory LSD available, which would probably help bring the handling to at least on par with an open diff F22, although I don't think it would want to rotate as quickly, but it might.

I don't know how adversely it would affect the car's handling, because, well I haven't tried it. I can think of a few ways to compensate to some degree though. It would probably be a lot of fun on the straights though. I know our 06 V6 auto would give my H22 a VERY good run for the money and it is completely stock. I have seen it run against some stuff that even had me pleasantly surprised with how it did.

In the end, I have thought a lot about it, but probably would never do it because I already have the H, which is a bolt in affair, and has plenty of headroom to make the car fun.

And for the money it would cost to do it, you could have a car that comes with a J series stock, and it will be much newer, and much nicer to boot.
                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  The 50lbs can be VERY significant depending on where it is, though. If it's in front of the axle, it'll make the car very nose-heavy. If it's behind the axle, it won't be as bad.

I'd love to see a V6 CB7. I'd love to ride in a V6 CB7... but I don't think I'd want to make a V6 CB7 for my own use. If I'm going to perform major surgery, I'm going RWD with S2000 parts.

I have thought about that too. A RWD CB7, preferrably a wagon, with a twin turbo J35 under the hood.

Comment

Yeah, I remember we had that discussion. That would be really nice!

Unless I could make the J sit far enough back, I'd probably stick to the F20C or F22C. I'd go for the smaller motor to retain some balance. If I wanted a balls-out drag car, I'd probably consider a J35, built, and boosted to hell. Of course, I can't afford ANY of that now, so it's just fun to think about

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                      Yeah, I remember we had that discussion. That would be really nice!

Unless I could make the J sit far enough back, I'd probably stick to the F20C or F22C. I'd go for the smaller motor to retain some balance. If I wanted a balls-out drag car, I'd probably consider a J35, built, and boosted to hell. Of course, I can't afford ANY of that now, so it's just fun to think about

If it was mounted longitudinally, the J would sit further back. The block is shorter than the 4 bangers by virute of the fact that it is only 3 cylinders long, and the tranny would be tucked under the tunnel, just like if you put an S2K engine. As long as the engine pretty much sits behind the axle center point (which it should be VERY close with a J series) then the extra weight isn't going to hurt, and the torque and power would more than offset any weight gain.

You would have to at least modify the stock IM though, because the TB is pointed at the tranny, which would put it up against the firewall in a longitudinal setup. You could either modify the plenum to turn it around, or just go with an ITB and airbox setup like BMW does on the M engines.

Of course, I don't even want to think about how much of a custom subframe you would need, but I bet that with some work, you would have plenty of room side to side, considering how wide the stock powertrain is.

With the new J series just basically needing an adapter to bolt a scroll directly to the block, you could definitely have some fun with it.

Or if you went the S2K route, just bolt a Kraftwerks high boost kit onto it, and you can be at about 350-400HP with 260+ lb/ft, with an 8500 RPM cutoff (based on an F22C).

Comment

Working...
                      X