Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Supra Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supra Turbo

Does anyone know cuz I have no idea if a Turbo from a 90 Supra could work on my f22 or even a h22a
    Representing Cb7's in da T.DOT

Maybe... It's on an I6, so it probably won't be too small. ANY turbo can be made to work. You just need a manifold with a proper flange. If you have to ask if the turbo itself will "work", you have a LOT more learning to do before you even attempt it!

Read through the Forced Induction part of this forum (it's a subforum of the Performance section). At least read all the sticky threads. Understand a little about turbo, and you can answer your own questions.

Comment

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I know nothing about Turbo's other than they make your car go fast and I want one. I cant afford one of those big name turbo kits so im looking for an econimal way. I have alot of patience. lol.. So what things can I do in the mean time to make my car turbo ready, you seem to know alot. Ive actually been comming to this site for a while now, I just never posted anything before. Also I am going to finally do a swap to a h22a, but not till the summer... so i need to learn of smaller things i can do to prep the car for a turbo while im still driving it with the f22..

Comment

oh yeah itll fit with some $$$$

and a lil modification
        OLD

Comment

True, thanx for a response. Ill be sure to message you guys for my turbo questions.

Comment

does anyone make good aftermarket forged pistons for our car? and do you need oversized heads if you're resurfacing the cylinder walls? on the subject of needs for a turbo

Comment

good question, too bad i dont have the answer bud

Comment

There are plenty of aftermarket pistons available, and most manufacturers will make you a custom piston if you request it.

I don't know what you mean by "oversized heads"... larger combustion chambers? You probably won't be doing any crazy boring of the block, so no, you wouldn't need to do anything in that area.

The easiest DIY turbo setup for the F22A is the "DSM kit"... using parts from the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, or Plymouth Laser. There is a TON of information on that floating around this forum. The t25 or 14b turbos found on those cars are a bit small, however... a good idea is to upgrade to the "Big" 16g turbo found on the older Lancer EVO models (the JDM-only ones, like the evo3).

If you want to swap in an H22A, be sure to learn a LOT about turbo and tuning. The H22A's compression makes for a risky turbo motor, and it's much easier to blow one of those up if you don't know what you're doing. The F22A performs VERY well with turbo (it's a very potent motor, believe it or not... even non-turbo). I would stick to the F22A if you want turbo. Swapping to an H22A doesn't really do anything for you. You'll hit about the same peak power levels on the stock blocks, and once you build, they are both capable of more power than you'd need for a street car.

And yes, I should know a good deal. I don't know everything, or even close to everything... But I run the place, so I can't be a total idiot!

Comment

As deev said, I'd recommend sticking with the F22 engine for a turbo application. With an 8.8:1 compression ratio, it tends to be a lot more forgiving of turbos than the 10.6-11.0:1 of the H22A. Piston choice on the H22A is also critical, as some sleeves WILL NOT tolerate forged pistons.

At the very least, you're looking at a lot of expensive custom fabrication and tuning to make everything work. For starters, there is no current manifold or downpipe made to work with the CT26 turbo used on the 7M-GTE from the 86-92 Supra on the F22A, or the H22A for that matter. You'll also want to do a lot of research to properly size your intercooler and injectors, along with everything else that goes along with adding a turbocharger to any engine.

Good luck with the project, and make sure to take plenty of photos and document everything! This would make a great magazine feature!
                  ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
                  '93 EX 5-speed coupe
                  Short ram intake
                  Tenrai Himoto catback
                  Smashed front end
                  Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

thanks Deev...and actually I meant piston, not head....but that still answers my question...and a question I didn't ask and probably should have. always nice when the head fits on the rest of the block

Comment

Ah, ok. Yeah you would need to get pistons of the appropriate size for an overbore. A honing won't need it, though. Turbo pistons often run looser tolerances anyway, as the material used tends to expand a bit. A built turbo motor often sounds like a diesel when it's cold. The pistons used for NA motors have tighter tolerances, and are built of a material that will not expand, and is prone to cracking. (it's all based on the silicon content)

The H22 has FRM sleeves, and can only run certain aftermarket pistons (Mahle Gold Series for sure. I've heard Cosworth and JUN also have some that work). A resleeve would be required to open up your options... and it would also be good for extra strength. The FRM sleeves are very strong, but still won't hold up to as much boost as a turbo-specific sleeve, such as those from Darton or Golden Eagle.

Comment

The CT26 is a shit turbo anyway. You'd be much better off with a DSM setup and a 16g, or even a T3/T4 kit
                        Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                        ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

the turbo could work, but its to damm small.
                          miss my turbo cb7
                          moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Originally posted by quickangel93
                            the turbo could work, but its to damm small.
                            What are you talking about? It's bigger than a 14b, and capable of 15 PSI efficiently and making power 'till 6500 and probably beyond. It's just got poor bearings and doesn't last nearly as long as a 14b/16g/T25/T3 would
                            Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                            ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

Working...
                            X