Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

new engine uses oil (PLEASE HELP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new engine uses oil (PLEASE HELP)

hey guyz i have bulit a 12.1 to comp eng and it uses a lot of oil but there is no leaks and like 275 psi comp per cyl and the plugs are clean when i pull them out i mean a very excesive amount of oil the head was rebuilt at a local macine shop could a valve seal already be bad or have gotten damaged on the exhaust side. the seals were replaced but the guides were not could this be why is uses oil but doesnt show on the spark plugs i dont ever smell burning oil or never see it smoke and no one has ever told me it smokes but if it setts over night or a day or so it does smoke just for a few sec after start up, engine has all new every thing internal and external has total seal gapless rings i have heard that they may cause a little oil uses but this is unnessasery usage also has new pcv and hose so i no that the crank case is breathing properly if any one has any ideas shoot them my way i want to do a h23 head swap any way so if you think it may be the head tell me, also befor it was built it was doing the same thing but it was smoking like a mother fucker and the plugs were constantly fauling out and were just covered with carbon and gumk from burning oil , and the rings were stuck in the pistons but now i am clueless as to were in the hell it is coming from
    need h23 head

did you hone they cylinders? new rings? were they larger rings to accommodate the honing (if done)?
    ____

Comment

guides need to be replaced. why would you build a head without changing the guides?
      miss my turbo cb7
      moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Originally posted by quickangel93
        guides need to be replaced. why would you build a head without changing the guides?
        X2. If it doesnt blow out much when your runnin around, its the guides. And again... why would you build a PERFORAMNCE engine without all new head components? :shrug
        90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
        2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

yea its has 89mm forgeed pistons yes bored and honed and new total seal gapless rings and the head did not get a lot of money put into it because i wanted a h23 but at the time couldnt find one
          need h23 head

Comment

Originally posted by Devin
            yea its has 89mm forgeed pistons yes bored and honed and new total seal gapless rings and the head did not get a lot of money put into it because i wanted a h23 but at the time couldnt find one
            How long ago was the hone etc done? Sometimes a new bore and ring combo can leak a bit of oil before they bed in properly, especially if the honing wasn't done very well (?).

'Gapless' rings may sound like they'd just have to seal better than ordinary rings, but in reality make almost zero difference to compression. The amount of pressure leakage through ring gaps is absolutely miniscule, barely measurable if at all. Tests have been done with ring gaps where the gaps were progressively opened up from spec to multiples of spec width with no compression change until the gaps are like three or four times as wide as the spec width (maybe more), and even with such wide gaps compression loss was only slight. I can't recall my source for this, something I read somewhere sometime.

A lot of engine builders tend to blame the gap when the engine loses compression because when they pull the motor apart they find the gap has increased substantially from spec, but this is merely normal wear. The real cause of the compression loss will typically be the loss of ring tension due to ring overheating (effectively anneals the rings) or rings sticking in the lands etc. The fact that you'll often find widened gaps on an engine that has lost compression doesn't mean that the gaps are what caused the compression loss.
            Regards from Oz,
            John.

Comment

Did you break it in properly.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

for fucks sakes man do you know what a period is?? well here is a few for the future...................................

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Working...
                X