Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Windage tray adds HP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arcadiacb7
    quoted by deev: Also, as someone falsely said above, the F22A6 head flows no better than the F22A1/4 heads. The heads are exactly the same. It's just the valvesprings and cam that are different in the A6.

Yeah my mistake on the a6 head flowing better. I based this off of a a1 head that was ported and was supposedly an a6. That was back in the day of being 16 and loving cb7s just not knowing alot. So go ahead and tell em it was me.

A lighter flywheel makes a noticable difference on a car. So I think that this tray would go along with that. I put on a a6 manifold and head and really didn't feel a big difference on that car. 10hp is a big difference, I can't see all that being made on cams and intake manifold if they are not "race parts"(i guess thats what they could be called). I am rebuilding the bottom end on Inferno's cb7. It already has a6 head and h23 IM so i'll put in a windage tray from my h23 and see if it dyno results are any higher than before he over revved the fuck out of it.

and for cisco: 9k that is nuts. hope you bring that to the next meet cuz you are definately taking me for a ride.
    10 Hp is noticeable, but it in no way will even get you close to thinking "OH MY GOD."
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx
      guys...the windage tray is just that...a metal tray...all the accord engines have 'em

any hp added or reduced is a result in loss of oil flow...or improved oil flow...as a result of foaming...or not foaming.

it isn't anything like a dry sump. A dry sump prevents the oil from all going to one side during high speed cornering...without em you lose oil pressure during those corners the oil can go away from the pick up tube...vette's have 'em...cb7's don't

it just keeps the oil from getting foamed...that's it.

Taking it off is a BAD idea as your oil will more than likely foam up and not flow well

all the engines have 'em...guess I could be wrong about that...but I don't see how they wouldn't
      Not all engines have them, very many if not most don't, though they are likely to be more common than they used to be as a standard fitment.

If the oil doesn't 'foam' because of the tray, then it doesn't foam because it's not getting whipped up by the rotating crank, and if the crank isn't whipping up the oil then the engine isn't wasting some power whipping up the oil. Any reduction in wasted power as a result of 'oil whipping' is only ever going to be slight.

I know what a dry sump is, and what it does. One of the things it does is prevent the oil being whipped up by the crank, the other is prevent oil surge. I desribed the tray as being "like a poor man's dry sump" because it doesn't do everything a dry sump system does, only one thing, and that probably not nearly as well as a dry sump system. Dry sumps can also be used in conjunction with small diameter flywheels and correspondingly small bell housings to lower an engine in the chassis, thus lowering the CG. This can be done because a dry sump sump need not be so deep as a wet sump.
      Last edited by johnl; 01-10-2008, 06:18 AM.
      Regards from Oz,
      John.

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx
        mmm...my bad on the dry sump reply...I got all "semantics" on you...I hate it when other folks do that and there I go.

The windage tray does prevent the oil from foaming by preventing it from getting whipped by the crank...(higher rpms) correct?

I didn't mean to imply this would add power...cause you are correct it doesn't...just that it keeps the oil flowing better...a loss in oil flow would reduce power...but also damage the engine...so...doesn't add any power to the engine...but foamed oil can damage the engine...which...in a round about way...reduces power...I shoulda made my point more clear
        Let's all hug and make up then!

The tray probably doesn't completely prevent frothing up the oil, but would certainly reduce it significantly, with any benefits that implies. It wouldn't add power in that it can't make power, but it will to a slight degree stop some power that has already been made from being wasted. 'Whipping' the oil is a physical action, and like all physical actions requires energy to do it. Keep in mind that all that oil being flung around will be encountered by the rotating crank as an 'obstruction' to it's rotation, even if only a relatively slight one. The higher the rpm the more resistance the crank will encounter when it interacts with the slower moving oil.

I doubt having or not having a tray would be noticable on a road car, but every little bit helps on a racing car. Some 'trays' on some engines are only trays by accident or as an afterthought, i.e. some trays are primarily intended as re-inforcemnt for the lower section of the engine block, and are quite substantail alloy castings with considerable strength bolted in place with the main bearing cap bolts and some additional bolts around the periphery of the tray.
        Regards from Oz,
        John.

Comment

The F22A6 is the only F22Ax that has a windage tray. The F22A1 and F22A4 do not.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
            The F22A6 is the only F22Ax that has a windage tray. The F22A1 and F22A4 do not.
            He is correct on this statement, I found this out after much research and know first-hand, those that said otherwise are incorrect. If you get an F22a6 windage tray, I also noticed that you need an F22a6 oil pickup with it as well because it has a different part number than a non-windage tray oil pickup.

Also, I removed all BS posts on this thread, I want to keep it clean and correct. It is a good subject and good resource for those later.
            Last edited by HondaFan81; 01-10-2008, 05:06 PM.
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

I had to change my oil pan gasket, thought I'd provide a pic

BTW, to change the gasket, to drop the pan, you have to unbolt the downpipe and remove the center beam, funny, no where does it explain what is necessary to remove the oil pan...not even in my helms!

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
              where you been, is something wrong?
              i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Dry sumps are nice too wont have to worry much about windage but its expensive to install a dry sump in a system. Those arent really useful unless its pretty much a track car.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                X