Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Transmission Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Problem?

Before I start, I have a 1990 lx sedan automatic trans. Now for the problem..

The car runs fine everyday, never been beaten on(I never have, previous owners not so sure) and I keep it pretty well maintained. Anyway, a few months ago, I went to the gas station, filled up and started the car. I look down and see the sports light on. I never use it so I looked down at the shifter and the button isn't pushed in. I'm thinking the light blub must be bugging out so I decide to go home. I put it in D4 and push the gas, the car goes but drags like no tomorrow. I stop, put it in park, put it back and gear and try again..same result. I turn the car off and turn it back on, sports light is on again. I give it alittle gas and it drags like before. Now I'm getting mad because I don't feel like leaving the car and walking home. I try it one more time and sure enough, the light isn't on. I'm sitting there confused but happy and try to get home. The moment I put it in gear, I hear clicking sounds coming from the gear selector area and the sports light blinks on and off then stays on.

I'm tired of playing with the car so I just drive home since it's about 3/4 of a mile down the road. The car drags at first but drives normally once it gets up. I'm driving along, looking down at the rpm guage cause it's almost past the 3500 mark and I'm wondering when it's going to shift. It never down and it's like it's in one long gear. Thankfully, home isn't too far, I park it in my usual spot, get out, say a few words to the car and come in the house. This past weekend, I'm preparing to make a little drive, all is fine. I drive maybe 3-4 miles and the clicking sounds/sports light problem occurs. Maybe after 30 minutes of just letting the car sit there, I start the car and there's no problem. I drive it 130+ miles to where I needed to go and back with no problems. I driven the car only once since I went on my trip. No problems. Now, I always hear the clicking sound in the gear selector whenever I push in the brake pedal. Not quite sure why it does that but when it was having it's little porblem, there was no clicking sound when I push down on the pedal like it usually does.

Sorry for the long read but I tried to give as much detail as possible. The car only done this twice(two different days) but I don't want to be somewhere and it happens again.

Any idea on what it is? Could it be the sports function messing with my transmission?

Thanks for the help.
    [IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/akona21/cb2-2.jpg[/IMG

Does it still shift through all the gears?

Your car is faster, I'm the better driver

Greetz Erwin
    My last ride

Shakes and Fidget - The Game

Comment

Originally posted by lo-specials
      Does it still shift through all the gears?
      When it's acting normal, yes. It drives like the first day I got it. Smooth. When it starts having the problem, it seems to drag along from the start then picks up speed only to act like it doesn't want to shift

Comment

Does it do this like when your at a red light and as soon as it turns green you take off, but the car is kinda just moving real slow, then you hit the gas fairly hard it picks up speed again?. Ive had that a few times before, but that was only cause of a bad fuel filter. Im not sure in your case though with all the clicking sounds.
        My Black "H"
        AL Meet!?

//Secret G2I Lover, Shhhhhhh! //

Comment

Originally posted by AG17CB7
          When it's acting normal, yes. It drives like the first day I got it. Smooth. When it starts having the problem, it seems to drag along from the start then picks up speed only to act like it doesn't want to shift
          It looks like the ECU is on an emergency program. I had it with mine and my P was dying. I had to rebuilt the tranny, but after 4 times it broke down, I replaced it for a manual one

Your car is faster, I'm the better driver

Greetz Erwin
          My last ride

Shakes and Fidget - The Game

Comment

Originally posted by ex_style90
            Does it do this like when your at a red light and as soon as it turns green you take off, but the car is kinda just moving real slow, then you hit the gas fairly hard it picks up speed again?. Ive had that a few times before, but that was only cause of a bad fuel filter. Im not sure in your case though with all the clicking sounds.
            The problem starts after I start the car. The clicking sounds from inside the gear selector start and the sports light turns on and doesn't turn off. The sports button isn't even pushed in

Originally posted by lo-specials

It looks like the ECU is on an emergency program. I had it with mine and my P was dying. I had to rebuilt the tranny, but after 4 times it broke down, I replaced it for a manual one
            So because it's dying, it does it every other month? I'm not going to wait for it to break down on me so I might as well start saving up for a new transmission. I was going to swap it out anyway, just not as soon.

Has anyone else experienced the whole clicking sound in the gear selector when stepping on the brake when in park?

Comment

The clicking sound inside the gear selector is the solenoid popping, allowing you to shift out of park. As for the other stuff...no idea. See if you can pull any codes.
              Originally posted by sweet91accord
              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
                The clicking sound inside the gear selector is the solenoid popping, allowing you to shift out of park. As for the other stuff...no idea. See if you can pull any codes.
                Any idea on how to do that? I'm still kinda new to it all. It's not throwing a CEL though, just the sports light

Comment

I'm not entirely sure how, but I think it should be on the forum somewhere. Try searching for "transmission codes" or "pulling transmission codes." Stuff like that should bring it up.
                  if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

jon

it is the tcu not the ecu

Comment

Yes, I know. You can pull codes from the TCU. Blinking Sports light is indicative of a TCU code...

Comment

Working...
                      X