Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

is this a good intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 10thcb7
    . my bad .

youd get better performance and cred if you get a cai or a front mount intake. btw HKS made a front mount for the 99-00 SI so there is some logic behind using one.
    HKS never made a front mount for any car only intercoolers...Front mount intake ebay hks maybe but not real HKS. They just have their pipe and foam filter I doubt HKS would do something as *** as that. They rarely do stuff for Hondas anyway.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

"5-7 hp".......WORD!

Comment

jus run this.

Cali.Dumps.Harder.

Comment

Notice that there are two smaller diameter pipes feeding into a single larger pipe. I'll bet that the combined cross sectional area of the two smaller pipes is significantly less than the cross sectional area of the single larger pipe (but I can't know for certain without knowing the actual pipe IDs, I'm just guesstimating from the photo). This defeats the purpose of induction piping, i.e. it's more restrictive than necessary.

Foam filters are not good at filtering, except for the ones that use an oil sprayed onto the filter media to make the filter 'sticky' to particles. These filters also look quite small to me, bad. The bigger the filtration area the better, not only because it take longer to clog up, but all else being equal will flow better when clean. I've heard reports of foam filters catching fire in the case of an engine backfire through the induction system, causing the filter to melt and then be sucked into the engine, not nice.

You can't go past a paper element filter with a large surface area, there is a reason why this type of filter is universally OE on every brand of car I can think of. They are efficient at filtering to very fine micron, flow well and are reasonably economical to produce and purchase.
          Regards from Oz,
          John.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
            Its retarded. Its just more tubing. If you want the two filter look go for it. But you can do the same with a 3in tube and a big ass filter.
            Exactly....

The design isn't even efficient. This filter setup is just for looks. Our engines generate LOTS of heat in the engine bay. That is the reason I opted for a long tube cold air setup. To me, a short ram isn't effective enough to spend money on.

Check out ESP engine mount kits for your CB7!!!

Comment

Originally posted by johnl
              Notice that there are two smaller diameter pipes feeding into a single larger pipe. I'll bet that the combined cross sectional area of the two smaller pipes is significantly less than the cross sectional area of the single larger pipe (but I can't know for certain without knowing the actual pipe IDs, I'm just guesstimating from the photo). This defeats the purpose of induction piping, i.e. it's more restrictive than necessary.

Foam filters are not good at filtering, except for the ones that use an oil sprayed onto the filter media to make the filter 'sticky' to particles. These filters also look quite small to me, bad. The bigger the filtration area the better, not only because it take longer to clog up, but all else being equal will flow better when clean. I've heard reports of foam filters catching fire in the case of an engine backfire through the induction system, causing the filter to melt and then be sucked into the engine, not nice.

You can't go past a paper element filter with a large surface area, there is a reason why this type of filter is universally OE on every brand of car I can think of. They are efficient at filtering to very fine micron, flow well and are reasonably economical to produce and purchase.
              Foam filters actually dont filter shit. Look on the HKS test. Its free flowing for a reason. This is the same for k/n. Why do you need the oil? To help catch particles. What happens when the oil is gone? You do the math. I like dry filters such as AEM dryflow, Apexi power filter. Those are the two in the top of my books. They filter pretty well and provide gains especially the apexi. The AEM is just a similar design I dont think it has the internal vstack like the apexi though.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                Foam filters actually dont filter shit. Look on the HKS test. Its free flowing for a reason. This is the same for k/n. Why do you need the oil? To help catch particles. What happens when the oil is gone? You do the math. I like dry filters such as AEM dryflow, Apexi power filter. Those are the two in the top of my books. They filter pretty well and provide gains especially the apexi. The AEM is just a similar design I dont think it has the internal vstack like the apexi though.
                I'm not recommending any kind of foam filter, not even the oil sprayed ones, just saying that oil sprayed on the foam will make them at least acceptable at filtering. They will dry out eventually, they aren't maintenance free you need to clean and re-oil them regularly, which is a slight PainINTA.

I once had four oily foam socks on a pair of DCOE Webers, and the oil made a bit of a mess as it slowly drained to the botom of the socks and dripped off, or on anything they happened to be touching. Dry filters are better, but they need to be large and to filter to a fine micron, some aftermarket are better than others at this, but OE will definitely filter well even if some are on the small side (though many are perfectly adequate even on a highly tuned engine).
                Regards from Oz,
                John.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeromech
                  Exactly....

The design isn't even efficient. This filter setup is just for looks. Our engines generate LOTS of heat in the engine bay. That is the reason I opted for a long tube cold air setup. To me, a short ram isn't effective enough to spend money on.

hell dude on a stock accord, your not going to get jack squat out of it PERIOD. 2,3 maybe 5hp..... thats bout it CAI or SR both for our car= close enough to the same outcome, unless your pinching for that little bit of power.

Comment

An intake is an intake regardless of who makes it.It just depends on the location of then intake itself.Now we can argue that cold air intakes are better than short rams but Im not gonna get it too that.
                    You wont get much gain in power but they do sound nice.
                    www.PreludePower.com
                    BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

Intakes aren't all created equal (of course). Ignoring any issues with intake temp or harmonic effects, you don't want to fit one that might be more restrictive than the one you're replacing.
                      Regards from Oz,
                      John.

Comment

i dunno man i just bought and installed my AEM short ram, install was stupid easy and it sounds great, 90 bucks on ebay 130 shipped. just my opinion.
                        1992 Accord EX-R 4 door Cobalt blue on blue 5 speed, friggin love this car.

Performance mods: AEM short ram intake, Progress rear sway bar, and Apexi WSII cat back, skunk 2 wieghted knob, yeamans short throw. exedy oem style clutch pkg with a F1 racing 12lb flywheel, TASauto braided SS clutch line.

Sound mods: Hertz space 6 1/2 speakers and tweets with a Audison Srx 2 amp, Focal 11" sub in a Focal ported box, Kenwood D-class amp, Audison cap and a Kenwood KDC891.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl
                          Intakes aren't all created equal (of course). Ignoring any issues with intake temp or harmonic effects, you don't want to fit one that might be more restrictive than the one you're replacing.
                          But really its just a piece of pipe with a filter on it. But some filters flow better that others so if u get the Ebay intake, ditch the filter and get a better filter such as a K&N Filter or an AEM filter.
                          www.PreludePower.com
                          BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

Originally posted by BLUBB2
                            But really its just a piece of pipe with a filter on it. But some filters flow better that others so if u get the Ebay intake, ditch the filter and get a better filter such as a K&N Filter or an AEM filter.
                            That's a bit like saying 'a wheel is just a round piece of metal with some rubber around it'. The cross sectional area of the intake plumbing is important. It's better to be too big than too small (ahem...) and those two smaller pipes don't look big enough to me. It only takes a small decrease in tube ID to make a huge difference to flow, so if you start with a tube size that is merely OK, then it doesn't take much reduction at all for it to be not OK.

Two smaller tubes that at a glance look as if they would probably flow about the same as a given single tube probably won't flow as well. A case in point is the stock CB7 intake set up where you have two relatively small ID tubes feeding into the filter box, then a larger ID single tube from the box to the throttle body. The two smaller tubes added together have a substantially lesser cross sectional area than does the single larger tube (I measured it and did the maths), and as such are the restriction in the system. To make it even worse the two small diameter tubes are quite long, and the longer a restrictive tube is the worse the flow becomes (due to cumulative boundary layer drag).

When I ditched the two smaller intake tubes from my CB7 in place of a home made CAI feeding into the stock filter box (shortish 3" PVC pipe drawing from just inside the fender cavity), I immediately noticed a slight improvement in mid to upper end acceleration and a slight improvement in general responsiveness.

The gains were not great, and I didn't expect them to be, in fact I more than half expected to be able to feel no change at all, but almost to my surprise I did. I have to say that I can easily believe I gained at least 5hp (but claiming much more would be pushing it), and considering the mod cost me nothing but a couple of hours work, it was an amazing bang for buck ratio. I don't have any dyno figures to prove this, and it could possibly be a placebo affect, but I strongly doubt it.
                            Regards from Oz,
                            John.

Comment

so did you get rid of the pieces in the fender and keep the stock box or what

Comment

Working...
                              X