Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Speedometer doesn't work......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer doesn't work......

91 Accord 2 door 5spd tranny....

Speedometer doesn't work. I have changed the VSS and have done the voltage checks and all the voltage readings check out. However the speedo Needle doesn't move at all. Idles low too but it has a CEL and I don't know what the code 42 is..The ECU light blinks 4 times then 2 times. I thought it may be related to the speedo but I don't know. Any of you guys been down this road before?
    I have another cluster to try but I figured I'd come here 1st to get the professionals opinions.
    The other problem is it Leaks Oil on the Left front Corner of the Head, and its not coming from the valve cover gasket but more or less where Head meets Block. Is this Typical? or am I missing something?...Thanks in Advance.
    ..If our legs bent backwards, what would racing seats look like?

1 O2A - Oxygen sensor #1
    2 O2B - Oxygen sensor #2
    3 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
    4 CKP - crank position sensor
    5 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
    6 ECT - water temperature sensor
    7 TPS - throttle position sensor
    8 TDC - top dead centre sensor
    9 CYP - cylinder sensor
    10 IAT - intake air temperature sensor
    12 EGR - exhaust gas recirculation lift valve
    13 BARO - atmospheric pressure sensor
    14 IAC (EACV) - idle air control valve
    15 Ignition output signal
    16 Fuel injectors
    17 VSS - speed sensor
    19 Automatic transmission lockup control valve
    20 Electrical load detector
    21 VTEC spool solenoid valve
    22 VTEC pressure valve
    23 Knock sensor
    30 Automatic transmission A signal
    31 Automatic transmission B signal
    36 traction control found on JDM ecu's
    41 Primary oxygen sensor heater
    43 Fuel supply system
    45 Fuel system too rich or lean
    48 LAF - lean air fuel sensor
    54 CKF - crank fluctuation sensor
    58 TDC sensor #2
    61 Primary oxygen sensor
    63 Secondary oxygen sensor
    65 Secondary oxygen sensor heater
    71 random misfire cylinder 1
    72 random misfire cylinder 2
    73 random misfire cylinder 3
    74 random misfire cylinder 4
    80 Exhaust Gas Recirculation insufficient flow detected
    86 ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature) circuit range / performance problem
    90 Evaporative Emission Control System leak detected in the fuel tank area
    91 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor low input
    92 Evaporative Emission Control System insufficient purge flow

but i dont see code 42 anywhere.....
    make sure your reading the right code. More info here

Comment

1. Recheck VSS make sure its the proper unit. Test voltages at the plug next to the cruise control and once again at the sensor itself. See if voltages check out that will tell you if something is crossed or not.

2. Check your distributor. There is an O ring that goes into the head from there and it tends to leak over time.

3. Jump your CEL most likely its throwing 17 which is vss unless you have something else wrong.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Ok..You guys are the best. I am quite new to CB7's but not new to cars. I will work on anything from A to Z. Volvos are my specialty right now. I know all the Volvo CEL codes almost from memory ha ha ha..since I used to battle that demon almost daily. I got 2 CB7's in the Fam since my 2 sons are driving now, both are 90 models, 1 is a 4 door automatic Accord, and the other is a Coupe 5 speed. The CEL is coming from the coupe 5 speed. I will take some pics of where the Oil leak is coming from. At 1st I thought maybe its the Cam Shaft Seal slinging oil against the inside of the timing belt cover and it congregating on that little flat place on the block and running down onto the exhaust and burning....I just don't know. I will check on those codes today. I will be back with a follow up. Thanks.

Comment

is it properly plug in the right one cause the vss and the egr plug look the same.

1994 Accord Coupe LX BPU
          1991 Galant VR4 #1395/2000 Sold
          1990 Accord EX 4DR Sold
          1990 Galant Base Model junked it
          1991 Accord EX 4DR gave away

Comment

glad to see im not the only one who has the same problem. like u i have check everything but no codes are showing up. i have another cluster im about to put in myself..nothing makes sense about this..my tach floats too, i've changed the dizzy with a new one from the honda place. replaced the vss with a new one from the honda place, but to no avail im still having the same problems..i read there is a ground behind the drivers headlight that mite be loose, im gonna check there next. good luck on ur mission we will surely need it...

Comment

UPdate...

Ok....I installed a Toggle Switch to Initialized the ECU code reading sequence (CEL) other than pulling the carpet back. I tried Resetting the ECU to see if the code returns, It did. The code is 41 Primary O2 sensor heater. Ok. The only code I was getting. I swapped ECU's and put in an ECU from a 93 I think...(It was a Free ECU with NO led) Anyway it worked, and Now I get 2 Codes.. 41 (Primary 02 heater) and 17(VSS Speed sensor) which is what I wanted to know about the speedometer. Even though I have replaced the VSS from a Junked CB7 in the Boneyard, Evidently its bad. Back in the summer I checked the voltages at the plug and they were Ok. Looks like I will be replacing the VSS again. Does anyone have an Exploded view of the VSS and the Drive mechanism that drives the shaft? I want to make sure that whatever rotates the Shaft from the Transmission is engaging. I also replaced that Little Pin when I replaced the VSS.
              Stay tuned...Someone please post the drawing showing the Drive mechanism from the Transmission up to the sensor if you have it. A Million thanks in advance!
              -= TM =-

Comment

when you got one from the junkyard, it was probably bad. i have a spare vss that i'll give you. pm me if you want it and i'll drop in in the mailbox. later.
                Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Working...
                X