Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

what is better a short ram intake or cold air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to enlarge a hole for the Cold air.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeh

the hole were the factory black plastic pipe goes down under the bumber ....my pipes diameter was to big to fit through the hole so i made the hole biger wit an eletric saw it was easy though.... hey how low did u drop ur car looks good thinkin about dropin mine after winter..
      a person who looks at somthing and see it as waste is no person at all but he who see what it could be will suceed
      out with the old and in with the new

Comment

I like the suction/deeper sound a cold air makes, it also makes more power since it gets the cooler air from the bumper vs. inside the engine bay. If you live in a dryer area lilke AZ then get the cold air hands down. If you live in Seattle or something, def. get a bypass valve with the cold air.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by jaykilla116
          the hole were the factory black plastic pipe goes down under the bumber ....my pipes diameter was to big to fit through the hole so i made the hole biger wit an eletric saw it was easy though.... hey how low did u drop ur car looks good thinkin about dropin mine after winter..

kool kool, i lowered it like 2 1/2 inches in the front and like 1 1/2 in the back...
          and i live in new mexico so i think id be ok with the cai. i have short ram now but imma get me cai soon..

93 accord lx

Comment

ur sig is huge
            **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
            Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
            Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

turbo
              lol jk
              the difference is so small what intake you have. Go buy a delta regrind and make some real powa don't spend all ur money on stuff like intakes. Gut out the stock intake,lol.

Comment

Ive heard CAI's can suck water into your engine if you go through a deep puddle or something...idk if thats true or not. I also heard that for every 1 degree colder the air your car takes in you gain 1hp. Thats something else idk but just heard about.

Comment

Real world difference between cold air and short ram might be a single horsepower. F22HB is right: spend your money where you're going to make some real horsepower, like getting a cam from either Delta or Bisimoto. (I recommend Bisi.)

A cold air intake can very easily suck water into your engine if you run through a decent-sized puddle. The vacuum of the engine drawing in air sucks the water up the intake pipe and into the throttle body. Water doesn't compress. When it gets into a cylinder, you run into something called hydrolock. The air compresses as far as it can, then the piston runs into the water and stops dead. The results can be pretty dramatic, as I'm sure you can imagine. If you think you might run into any decent amount of rainfall and you're installing a CAI, do yourself a favor and get a bypass valve.
                  ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
                  '93 EX 5-speed coupe
                  Short ram intake
                  Tenrai Himoto catback
                  Smashed front end
                  Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

To top it off just make sure you secure the CAI I learned my lesson the hard way. I do miss CAI but eh I get what I pay for lol.
                    Henry R
                    Koni/Neuspeed
                    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by Camurai
                      Real world difference between cold air and short ram might be a single horsepower. F22HB is right: spend your money where you're going to make some real horsepower, like getting a cam from either Delta or Bisimoto. (I recommend Bisi.)

A cold air intake can very easily suck water into your engine if you run through a decent-sized puddle. The vacuum of the engine drawing in air sucks the water up the intake pipe and into the throttle body. Water doesn't compress. When it gets into a cylinder, you run into something called hydrolock. The air compresses as far as it can, then the piston runs into the water and stops dead. The results can be pretty dramatic, as I'm sure you can imagine. If you think you might run into any decent amount of rainfall and you're installing a CAI, do yourself a favor and get a bypass valve.
                      I have searched for vids of bypass valves, and how they work on cars suckin up water. I seen it once on tv, do u no where i can see this at.
                      **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                      Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                      Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

cai owns sri.

get cold air with bypass valve (protects your intake from sucking up water if your intake gets submerged in water). with the bypass valve u have to cut the intake in half to put it in, cut it so in the winter (or rain) you can pull off the lower half and have short ram.

i think its smarter that way, thats how i have mine setup.

Member Ride Facebook
                        XBOX LIVE = RedDragonsFool
                        SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
                        For Sale Thread

Comment

I haven't been able to find any video of the bypass valve in action, but this is a good article on how it works: http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...lve/index.html

Sport Compact Car Magazine tested the bypass valve on the NSX owned and driven by John Concialdi, Chief Engineer at AEM. The car makes a reliable 250whp. They rigged up an external cold air intake tube out of clear plexiglass, then repeatedly dunked the filter in a fishtank full of water while Concialdi ripped off full-throttle dyno passes. The water never rose more than 18" up the intake pipe. When they pulled the filter out of the water with the engine still at WOT, the intake started to suck air through the water, whipping it into a froth, but it still refused to suck water into the engine. Feel free to read the article. It's entertaining, and very informative about the process of hydrolock.
                          ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
                          '93 EX 5-speed coupe
                          Short ram intake
                          Tenrai Himoto catback
                          Smashed front end
                          Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Originally posted by UrDoneSRH
                            cai owns sri.

get cold air with bypass valve (protects your intake from sucking up water if your intake gets submerged in water). with the bypass valve u have to cut the intake in half to put it in, cut it so in the winter (or rain) you can pull off the lower half and have short ram.

i think its smarter that way, thats how i have mine setup.
                            yeah the only drawback to that is the sound doesn't resonate as much and you dont get that nice growl at wide open throttle.

member's ride thread
                            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                            91 Accord SE 176k
                            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

CAI all the way...my buddy had a bypass on his and worked great...SRI u def lost power...you'd be better with a K&N drop in filter in your stock air box set up...SRI heats up alot if your idling in traffic for a while on a hot day...overall u cant even compare a CAI to a SRI...
                              Last edited by 92coupe17; 12-23-2007, 12:56 AM.
                              1994 Honda Accord SIR
                              -Apexi VTEC controller
                              -h22a swap
                              -5spd "LSD"
                              -DC header (CC)
                              -Injen CAI
                              -slammed 3" KYB adjustables Neuspeed springs
                              -skunk2 pro series intake manifold
                              -68mm TB
                              -Skunk2 adjust. cam gears/Camshafts Stage 1
                              -supertech springs/retainers
                              -DC short shifter
                              -type R boot and shift knob
                              -much more

1992 Accord coupe
                              -knock off N1 cat back
                              -Knock off test pipe
                              -fogs
                              -300k miles loves it
                              *SMOKE TIRES NOT DRUGS*

Comment

Originally posted by Camurai
                                I haven't been able to find any video of the bypass valve in action, but this is a good article on how it works: http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...lve/index.html

Sport Compact Car Magazine tested the bypass valve on the NSX owned and driven by John Concialdi, Chief Engineer at AEM. The car makes a reliable 250whp. They rigged up an external cold air intake tube out of clear plexiglass, then repeatedly dunked the filter in a fishtank full of water while Concialdi ripped off full-throttle dyno passes. The water never rose more than 18" up the intake pipe. When they pulled the filter out of the water with the engine still at WOT, the intake started to suck air through the water, whipping it into a froth, but it still refused to suck water into the engine. Feel free to read the article. It's entertaining, and very informative about the process of hydrolock.
                                Originally posted by 92coupe17
                                CAI all the way...my buddy had a bypass on his and worked great...SRI u def lost power...you'd be better with a K&N drop in filter in your stock air box set up...SRI heats up alot if your idling in traffic for a while on a hot day...overall u cant even compare a CAI to a SRI...
                                I can say with experience that I feel less power with the sri than the cai.
                                Thank you, case closed.

Member Ride Facebook
                                XBOX LIVE = RedDragonsFool
                                SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
                                For Sale Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X