Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

no muffler just header and downpipe??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no muffler just header and downpipe??!!

okay, so anyways one of my friends gave me a import muffler to put on my car and has a 3.5 inch ending on it. anyways he decided to give me a glass pack as well and he put it on there. only problem was is that his welding is not the best and he was only able to weld half way around it. now i thought a glass pack was a type of muffler but what he did is cut off the catalytic converter and welded the glass pack on there and when he did his half job of putting it on there, i decided to just take off the entire thing and redue it. well i didnt have time and now i have it just running off of the header and downpipe. the downpipe being by itself sounded really ugly and loud so i put my import muffler on the bendy metal part of the downpipe. now i know that 4 cylinder engines need back pressure but is this an ok rigging or no? i need to know the best way to do with what i have. i am able to put the glasspack and import muffler back the way it was. but i really dont want to. i just need to know if this rig will screw up my engine valves or something.
    1991 HONDA ACCORD LX (MY BABY) COLD AIR, FULL EXHAUST. COMIN UP: CIVIC SPOILER!

first of all

whats a glasspack?

you need a exhaust system or your loose lots of power

you could run it like that, if you want to get your car impounded for poluting air and causing public disruption.

if you cant figure something out, just put your stock system on, until you could figure it out.
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

i'm sure you can get a ticket for it or something. but your friend sounds like an idiot.

but it won't hurt your car. people run open exhausts all the time thinking it gives them more power.

go to a local exhaust shop and get them to put the right stuff on. just tell them you need to replace the exhaust from the downpipe back.

get 2.5" piping while you're at it. it certainly can't hurt.

Comment

My friend ran his integra gsr with only a header and downpipe for 3 months, everything was fine until he got a big ass ticket. Then he bought a greddy evo2 catback and realized he was losing a decent amount of power running without an exhaust. Id take it to an exhaust shop if i were you rather then half ass it
        ALL PARTS MUST GO
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157038

Link to my turbobuild/members ride
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=110483

Comment

Yeah About The Ticket Thing. The Only Ticket I Would Get Is Noise Disruption. Lol Lucky For Me We Have No Emission Testing Here. So It Is Fine To Run It That Way? It Wont Bend Valves Or Anything
          1991 HONDA ACCORD LX (MY BABY) COLD AIR, FULL EXHAUST. COMIN UP: CIVIC SPOILER!

Comment

When I had my car setup like that when my exhaust got ripped off i was getting pulled over like on a daily basis.. so definetly get some sort of exhaust on there.

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
            New people click here

Comment

Sound level depends on county or state. Over here you can get away with a loud exhaust. Only thing is it's loud and annoying.

If I were you, I'd put a cat on there just to quiet it some a little. A glasspack would make it sound meaner, but useless if the exhaust is leaking.

Whoever says cars need backpressure don't really know what they're talking about. You don't want any backpressure at all but you also don't want it too big which would cause turbulence. The same theory applies with intakes, if you can get it moving at a high enough velocity without back pressure, you'll notice gains due to scavenging effects. Backpressure=less power since it'll actually take "work" to push the exhaust out.
              -Kevin

1988 Honda Civi- D15B VTEC Dac Biet, my "race car"
              1992 Honda Accord LX: DD until I finish school

Comment

hey im running header and open downpipe and its been this way for 5-6months no problems yet just gets on my nerves now. But i just left a shop and they are gonna do 2.5 all the way back to my dual mufflers for $175 so just go to a shop ad get it done
                vouches --> mj1220mj,Trickedaccord92, Maple 50175, Customlowz, 92lx

Comment

The fumes can get to you if you sit at idle for a while... but otherwise, the noise is all you need to worry about.

Cars do NOT need backpressure (why does everyone keep saying they do as a fact?). You want the most exhaust flow at the highest possible velocity... Backpressure does NOTHING good. Ever.

Flow velocity is key, and that's where a good header and exhaust come into play. It's better to have a system that promotes greater flow velocity (look up "scavenging effects") than it is to just have open exhaust ports.

Just get a proper exhaust system... and NEVER let your friend touch your car again!

Comment

Working...
                  X