Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

aem tru-power pulleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aem tru-power pulleys

does anyone know how much power they would give.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Originally posted by jdm92_accorn
    does anyone know how much power they would give.
    like 5-7. its not much. the pulleys relieve the pressure off the crank pulley. if you get those pulleys, get a underdrive pulley too.
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Be aware that people have had trouble with the underdrive crank pulley. Supposedly, it can cause oil pump failure (which can cause engine failure.) The accessory pulleys don't do much. The crank pulley is the one that gives the most gains.

I've been running an Unorthodox Racing crank pulley for 3.5 years with no troubles. I've heard reports of other intelligent people that have had their motors fail, and blamed it on a pulley. The gains are in the crank pulley. The decision is yours.

As for the accessories, they won't hurt anything. The power will be minimal, and you might not feel it... but those little things DO add up. There's no real downside, so I say go for it. Just don't run a heavy system, or your alternator won't charge your battery fast enough!

Comment

i have the stock stereo in it. so i dont think it will be an issue. and you said go with u.r. do they sell the acc. pulleys too?

Comment

Yeah, they sell complete kits. I'm happy with my crank pulley (got it used on ebay), but I never used the other stuff.

Comment

Not really a fan of them. Honestly if you wanted power you can put the money elsewhere thats just me though. And deev covered the rest. You wont see that much HP as claimed on a dyno. Maybe at the crank but not enough to care about at the wheels.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

It depends on the motor. The RX-8 gained MORE than the manufacturer's claim when Super Street did it. Granted, for such a torqueless motor, any little bit helps!
              I've seen no such definitive tests with the H22 or F22, so it's hard to say how the increases go. It won't be much, but it'll be something.

The good thing about the pulleys, aside from the potential oil pump failure and undercharging for a heavy system, is that there is really no drawback. You don't get a crappy idle like a wild cam, you don't get noise like an exhaust or intake, you don't have to go digging into the motor like pistons... It's not a HUGE gain, but it's probably the most power you're going to get for such little compromise.

I DID feel a difference with my crank pulley. Not so much power, but more of a revvy feeling. The motor seemed to rev more easily, like with a lightened flywheel.

Comment

i checked their site they also have stock diameter pulleys that are just lighter. all together you drop like 7.5lbs off just the pulleys. alt, ps and crank

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  It depends on the motor. The RX-8 gained MORE than the manufacturer's claim when Super Street did it. Granted, for such a torqueless motor, any little bit helps!
                  I've seen no such definitive tests with the H22 or F22, so it's hard to say how the increases go. It won't be much, but it'll be something.

The good thing about the pulleys, aside from the potential oil pump failure and undercharging for a heavy system, is that there is really no drawback. You don't get a crappy idle like a wild cam, you don't get noise like an exhaust or intake, you don't have to go digging into the motor like pistons... It's not a HUGE gain, but it's probably the most power you're going to get for such little compromise.

I DID feel a difference with my crank pulley. Not so much power, but more of a revvy feeling. The motor seemed to rev more easily, like with a lightened flywheel.
                  The revvy feel is a difference but power wise I would not say its making much. It might give you a feeling of a slight boost but its not much to brag about. I had a UD pulley on my f22a6 also from ebay. Car revved better but I wasnt a fan of it personally. I would think if you have a pulley with the same diameter for the alternator and such the charging should be fine. Its just that most manufacturers go smaller so they can save more weight and crap.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i have the aem power pulley set. like they said not much difference mostly rev. but i have not had any charging issues yet either so they have been good. i just got a lightened flywheel and now my f22 revvs WAY more then it did before the pulleys and flywheel ....much faster too

Comment

do you know why the Crank pulley causes oil pump failure? is it something that you can fix by getting a better oil pump? or is it hit and miss, it happens sometimes but other times it doesn't?

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2
                        do you know why the Crank pulley causes oil pump failure? is it something that you can fix by getting a better oil pump? or is it hit and miss, it happens sometimes but other times it doesn't?

when you change the crank pulley you also remove the "damper" which is built into the stock crank pulley, its just a rubber ring that minimizes vibration, fluidampr is the only company i know of that makes a damper built into their pulley. unorthadox dose not have a damper built into their pulley. its the extra vibration i believe that can kill the oil pump. weird tho because if i am not mistaken all honda engines 1.8 liter and lower do not have them only the bigger engines require this damper. this probably part of the reason aem chose not to make a crank pulley at all just the accessories

Comment

Working...
                        X