Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

cooling proplem with a twist HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's a crazy suggestion...did anyone notice that he said he didn't have a thermostat before...could you have possibly tried to put a thermostat where one doesn't belong? Where the top hose goes into the head, it looks like a thermostat housing...this is not in fact a thermostat housing....this confused me when I changed my first one too....the thermostat for our cars is on the back side of the engine, closest to the passenger side of the car...you will see a little bleeder valve on top of the housing....that is the one you need to replace....it does sound like you are having a thermostat problem, so check that out...good luck
    "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think I can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." --President John F. Kennedy

ASE Master Automotive Technician
    ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck Technician
    US Navy Electrician
    Contact me if you need help on the side.
    '92 Accord DX (For Sale)
    '01 Civic LX
    '00 Tahoe

Greatest Rally Video Ever

Comment

do u have either an original water pump or a newly swapped motor with its original water pump?

if so, the problem is probably the old water pump with its vanes all broken off.

if there is no flow, the symptoms will be really weird...took me 3 weeks to diagnose it, b/c Im no mechanic....took my mechanic about 3 seconds.

this is what was left of the original rusted water pump 1yr after swapping in the motor.

Click for Engine Heating Thread

Last edited by lokuputha; 11-24-2007, 08:12 AM.
      DEVOTE

Comment

or when installing a new Tstat it usally takes a while for it to open for its 1st time.... my experiecne anyways.... let it idel it will probally overheat and have your heat on full blast.... eventually it should open up " and yea take note that your Tstat gose on the bottom hose under the dizzy not on the front of the block... that would just make it to easy to be a honda :P

Please, Leave me some feeedback on my ride ^CLICK ^CLICK ^CLICK
        Originally posted by deevergote.
        But Honda guys know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! If you don't believe that, then you're just wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by accord2nr81
          or when installing a new Tstat it usally takes a while for it to open for its 1st time.... my experiecne anyways.... let it idel it will probally overheat and have your heat on full blast.... eventually it should open up " and yea take note that your Tstat gose on the bottom hose under the dizzy not on the front of the block... that would just make it to easy to be a honda :P
          I disagree with letting your car overheat like that....if you installed your "honda" thermostat properly, and bleed the cooling system, you shouldn't overheat...if you do overheat, you did something wrong...if this is a common problem with you personally, you should test your t-stat before you install it....and make sure you are purchasing a honda part...but even with the aftermarket I haven't seen this problem.
          "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think I can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." --President John F. Kennedy

ASE Master Automotive Technician
          ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck Technician
          US Navy Electrician
          Contact me if you need help on the side.
          '92 Accord DX (For Sale)
          '01 Civic LX
          '00 Tahoe

Greatest Rally Video Ever

Comment

Well I agree that if its fine without the t-stat, and overheating WITH the t-stat, then one could conclude it is likely the t-stat.

But going with lokuputha's thought; perhaps the water pump IS worn, and without the t-stat, its flowing just enough, but putting in the t-stat adds just enough restriction that the pump can't over come and flow get reduced to almost nothing. I wouldn't think it'd make a drastic difference (especially considering everything the coolant has to go through anyways), but I'm not THAT familiar with coolant systems.

I've noticed the fans don't come on with the A/C till some point, though I'm not sure how the system determines that point.

Can't really add anything beyond that.
            Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha
              do u have either an original water pump or a newly swapped motor with its original water pump?

if so, the problem is probably the old water pump with its vanes all broken off.

if there is no flow, the symptoms will be really weird...took me 3 weeks to diagnose it, b/c Im no mechanic....took my mechanic about 3 seconds.

this is what was left of the original rusted water pump 1yr after swapping in the motor.

Click for Engine Heating Thread

I believe you sir have hit the nail right on the head. I read through the thread provided and this.

symptoms:
              -temp switch A (beside the thermostat) is not turning on
              -upper rad hose very hot while lower rad hose is cold
              -interior of car heats up
              -rad fans will only turn on once ignition is off
              -coolant overheats even when rad fans are hot wired and run all the time
              describes my problem to a T. I have no idea how long this motor has been in this car. The guy i bought it from could barely speak english. The water that was in the radiator was very rusted and had no coolant in it what so ever only water(which as we all know only facilitates rusts). I only figured out the engine was transplanted by trying to match the vins on the engine, tranny, and chassis together( none which matched) Seeing as i have allready have changed out my radiator, looks like the tb and wp will be the next thing for sure. It's a good thing i have other cars to drive around.

Comment

i have a quick question. my car heats up and is like either half way or a lil above half way to H. is that norm... if not then uh i need to do something. and if it is norm i still want to make it run cooler. ... i do have a a4 engin in my 93 se . thoes came with a a6. the a4 headers are closer to the rad than if it was the a6 headers and engine.
                Accord SE

93se
                Members Ride
                Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
                Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

pick up an OEM Honda Thermostat from the dealership and you should be good to go.
                  DEVOTE

Comment

Working...
                  X