Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Found out the CB7 has a Salvage title...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found out the CB7 has a Salvage title...

Well I ran a VIN check a week ago, to be curious and man... was I surpised.

About june of this year it had somehow gotten a Salvage Title. Not sure how but it did. I don't think it could have been that serious because the airbag looks fine. Only thing wrong cosmetically is the front bumper is bent back a bit and there are two 1/4inch gouges in it.

But mechanically, I don't know if its good or bad. When I start it up, it takes longer than 5mins to get the rpms lower than 1k. It has about 125k-126k miles on it (I broke the odo... err).

I also firmly believe that I burn more gas than I should (can't really tell since the odo and trip meters are broken).

In a normal week, I should be driving no more than 200 miles. But somehow I go through maybe 20-30$ of gas.

But since its a salvage title, is it worth fixing? Can I undo a salvage title or something?

Stock 10th Anniversary Edition.

personaly i would take it to a trusted autobody shop have them check out the body itself make sure the unibody is ok that wont solve your gas mileage but at least youll know your frame is safe or not. id say to get a full tune up change all fluids, plugs ect.
    its probaly due for one and see where your at thats my opinion
    U dont work U dont eat
    U dont grind Udont shine
    1st car 90 CB7 lx auto coupe
    present car 90 CB7 ex clutch coupe
    1st motor f22a1 2nd motor f22a4 present motor JDM H22a with m2b4 trans

Comment

Damn that sucks well you already have the car so you should just fix it, you could only get the title changed to a rebuilt title i think but i wouldnt know how would you go about doin that, dont beat your self up about it happens to everyone its all being a noob you live and you learn, but what you didnt read the title i think it states on a title when a car is salvaged?that why its bad buyin from private sellers some are truth full some arent but a dealer could screw you the same way i think

Comment

Well, a salvage title is given when the car is either bought back or repaired under insurance where the total in repairs is about 75% of the car's insurance value, which with these cars isn't much.

Comment

hh, big deal the car is salvage, why dont you throw it away don't you...

All those things wrong with your car all must be because it had a salvage title, right? Your gas mileage, cluster, and whatever little things that are wrong with it have nothing to do with the title.

You do realize anything in front of the shock towers only lines up for cosmetical reasons?. Your bumper is probably becasue of the salvage title....

Your mileage is probably the way you drive. All my cbs that drove drive perfect and have slavage titles. The one in my sig has been hit 2-3 times. Who cares?

Thats like saying ohh, you bumped your head once, That means your brain is trash....

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079
            hh, big deal the car is salvage, why dont you throw it away don't you...

All those things wrong with your car all must be because it had a salvage title, right? Your gas mileage, cluster, and whatever little things that are wrong with it have nothing to do with the title.

You do realize anything in front of the shock towers only lines up for cosmetical reasons?. Your bumper is probably becasue of the salvage title....

Your mileage is probably the way you drive. All my cbs that drove drive perfect and have slavage titles. The one in my sig has been hit 2-3 times. Who cares?

Thats like saying ohh, you bumped your head once, That means your brain is trash....
            Oh thanks. Kay.

Well thanks for the reponse everyone I'll tackle this on my own but thanks anyways. Interesting fact about the 75% thing.

Comment

where did you check your VIN at??

Comment

Originally posted by Saysana13b
                Well I ran a VIN check a week ago, to be curious and man... was I surpised.

About june of this year it had somehow gotten a Salvage Title. Not sure how but it did. I don't think it could have been that serious because the airbag looks fine. Only thing wrong cosmetically is the front bumper is bent back a bit and there are two 1/4inch gouges in it.

But mechanically, I don't know if its good or bad. When I start it up, it takes longer than 5mins to get the rpms lower than 1k. It has about 125k-126k miles on it (I broke the odo... err).

I also firmly believe that I burn more gas than I should (can't really tell since the odo and trip meters are broken).

In a normal week, I should be driving no more than 200 miles. But somehow I go through maybe 20-30$ of gas.

But since its a salvage title, is it worth fixing? Can I undo a salvage title or something?
                Doesn't sound like anythings wrong with your car.

It stays at a high idle until the engine has reached Normal Operating Temperature. It slowly goes down as the car reaches NOT.

A lot of people burn gas worse than they should because the engine needs a refreshing. But if your odo and trip are broken how would you know? 22 mpg city is the cb's rating. I pay more than 40 dollars to fill my car up with 15 gallons which I get about 340-360 miles out of. So 200 for a half tank sounds right to me.

As far as I know, you can't take the word "salvage" off the record, but salvage means "fixable" and I think your cb is.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                where you been, is something wrong?
                i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                  As far as I know, you can't take the word "salvage" off the record, but salvage means "fixable" and I think your cb is.
                  It dosent even sound broken.

It sounds like you just found an excuse to blame all of your CB problems. So if anything breaks, it must be becasue its a salvage title.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

I agree, have the unibody check for straightness or any safety issues. Do a compression test (and preferably a lead down test) to check that the engine doesn't have major issues. If they are Okay or good enough for you, start fixing things. Or just drive it the way it is. Depends what you're looking to get out of the car.
                    Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but I saw the responses talking about checking out the frame. I'm pretty sure my frame is bent but not 100%. I'm taking it this can be checked without tearing down the whole car? I do know too that sometimes a frame can be repaired...if so, can this be done without stripping it down?

Oh...there are some pics that possibly support my theory on the bent frame. They are posted in the thread "Radius Rod Connects to"...if anyone's curious.
                      Last edited by aRaKNiD; 11-20-2007, 09:26 PM. Reason: Additional Info added
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      Speaking of sigs... aRaKNiD, yours takes up more than my entire screen. Shrink it, or I will.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079
                        It dosent even sound broken.

It sounds like you just found an excuse to blame all of your CB problems. So if anything breaks, it must be becasue its a salvage title.
                        Originally posted by Saysana13b

I'm not use to a long warm-up, all my parents cars are pretty new and drop near 1k on startup.
                        I just got the car a few months ago, what am I suppose to expect?
                        Never owned a car before the CB, I can admit I am in-experienced.
                        I assumed because it has a Salvage title, theres more problems that might pop-up.

Comment

Hey, don't take it too hard, its no biggie

But yeah, cb7's jump to about 2k on startup, then hold at about 1500 on a cold startup, as the needle starts rising it will hold at about 1100, and once its reached the midway point it should idle at about 7-800. I've owned 2 and driven about 6 others and they do this when they're running correctly. There's a chart in the helms guide that gives the specs I believe but as long as your idle isn't jumping and is under 1k when idling warm, I'd say you're fine. After that, its mostly nitpicking.

And the fuel ratings for an automatic cb7 are 22 city, 28 highway.

It doesn't sound to me like anythings wrong with your car. One thing that can really help expand your knowledge is to go to a meet, and see how other peoples cars are running. It will give you a broader understanding about how things should or shouldn't run.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                          where you been, is something wrong?
                          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Working...
                          X