Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

steering rack, vibrations on highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering rack, vibrations on highway

I was just wondering, if both of my boots are kinda torn and the rack is leaking PS fluid, would that cause a vibration on the highway at 60-70? The PS still works, its just it leaks fluid too, the reservoir would go from the upper to lower line in about 1.5-2 months time so it constantly drips whenever the car is parked. And no its NOT my:

-axles (new 5K ago, both)
    -tires being out of balance (only have 1K miles on them w/ new wheels)
    -alignment (got done about a month ago)
    -warped rotors (20K miles on Powerslots w/ Hawk HPS pads)

or anything like that causing the vibrations, its just when i'm on the freeway...sometimes its shaky at 60-70 and other times its perfectly fine. i really dont understand how its happening either. its kinda frustrating

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

loose suspension components.

Check your bearings.
    Check balljoints.
    Maybe steering rack is screwed but I doubt it.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

don't bearings only go bad if you hear a humming noise? hmm, what about tierods? do those come loose or go bad over time?

member's ride thread
      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2
        don't bearings only go bad if you hear a humming noise? hmm, what about tierods? do those come loose or go bad over time?
        yeah you're right about the bearings. tie rods comes loose too. I think all suspension componets goes bad. Especially the bushings. Right now I replaces my UCA and to find out I have a leaking axel. AYE CARAMBA!

Comment

Tie Rods dont come loose. The bushing wear out.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
            Tie Rods dont come loose. The bushing wear out.
            I seriously need to take a rest.

Comment

yeah i just dont get it though, it doesn't squeak, i just jacked up my car and the balljoints in front are fine, moved the wheel L-R and top to bottom on each side and no play. I even jumped up and down on the front end to listen for any squeaking, and nothing.

Its like the wheel shakes, not a vibing kinda shake, but the wheel actually moves L-R when i'm at that speed. but it doesn't feel like there's any real play.

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

do the hydrolic arms in the steering rack over time lose pressure? so that's why the wheel doesn't feel rock solid at that speed?

member's ride thread
                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I wouldn't count out wheel balance or alignment. Just because it was done recently doesn't mean it was done right... or that something hasn't been done to change it.

Check all your bushings and ball joints. If they're good, that rules that out.
                  Failing power steering wouldn't do anything. I have NO power steering, and all shakes and vibrations are explained.
                  A failing rack would make turning difficult, but I don't believe it would cause vibrations.

Don't rule out the most obvious causes because you're "sure" they're not the case... Shaking at higher speeds is usually wheel balance.

Comment

control arm maybe... mine is about time for a new one.. it shakes a lil around there.
                    Accord SE

93se
                    Members Ride
                    Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
                    Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

hmmm, i guess i can have them rebalanced, but i literally bought the tires and wheels a month ago. I used to work for discount tire, so i had them "bullseye" balance the wheels to get them to zero out perfectly as opposed to being .25 off how it usually is when the machine rounds off. I even had them 180 the tire so it would require as low amount as weight as possible. All 4 required less than 1 ounce of weight for the entire wheel + tire to be balanced.

What bushing's usually fail so i can check those ones out first? Since there's tons of bushings on my car, I'd want to inspect the ones that most people have to fix alot.

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

the shock mount bushing gets tore up, also the radius rod bushings are beat if alot of burnouts/jerky driving has been seen.

it seems more and more accords with the same damn problems... you could have been describing my car except everything is new and proper working condition, but there is a shaking vibration ~60-70 that feels like the car is "wiggling" on its body

*note to deev.... ive been waiting at least 4 years for catch 22 to appear in a sig
                        Last edited by GreenMadness; 11-15-2007, 04:48 PM.
                        Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

I have the same problem

Does your steering whell shake because of this?

Does the shaking get faster as your speed goes up?

I can actually notice the wheel going back and forth while turning a left turn like it is something wrong with the right side of the car.

I need to fix this problem as well as others that my car has.

My VSS is out right now so that is getting done first.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMadness
                            the shock mount bushing gets tore up, also the radius rod bushings are beat if alot of burnouts/jerky driving has been seen.

it seems more and more accords with the same damn problems... you could have been describing my car except everything is new and proper working condition, but there is a shaking vibration ~60-70 that feels like the car is "wiggling" on its body

*note to deev.... ive been waiting at least 4 years for catch 22 to appear in a sig
                            where are the radius rod bushings exactly? does anyone have a picture of what they look like?

member's ride thread
                            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                            X