Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Parts - Replaceing Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts - Replaceing Axle

Hey, my left CV boot is cracked and spraying grease everywhere. I have a fellow cb7tuner member coming over this weekend to help me fix it.

I know I need a new axle and a new CV boot, what else do I need?

Should I go Advanced Auto or Honda?

Are there any special tools I need, or anything I should know.. like things not to do? haha

Thanks!

36mm is the only special tool you will need and a hammer thats about it. Everything else is just basic sockets. Might wanna get some MTF or ATF depending on your car.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I'm only doing the drivers axle, does that require MTF also? So all I need the is CV boot and axle?

Thanks for the help

Comment

All you would need is the axle and its easy to replace. In a nutshell- Take wheel off. Have someone hold your brake pedal while you use the 36mm socket to loosen the axle nut. Then take off your balljoint nut. Separate the ball joint (requires a little trickery). Take the nut and bolt off the bottom of the shock fork(its kinda horseshoe shaped). And finally you should be able to pry the old axle out. Installation is just the reverse.

Comment

Might want to use a breaker bar also I forgot. The MTF was optional if your paranoid. When you pull out the axle some MTF leaks out. Usually its not enough to care about.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Awesome. I'll snag a breaker bar from my friend.

Would you recommend Honda or Advanced auto for the axle?

Comment

Honda parts are always superior. Most people use Advanced or Autozone remanufactured axles, as they're considerably cheaper (about $75 after you return your busted one as a core).

For the driver's side, you won't have to worry about losing fluid. Having it handy is never a bad idea, and changing it is always a good idea... but you probably won't NEED it.

You should also have a screwdriver (Craftsman is best!) that you aren't afraid to break. You'll need to un-stake the axle nut. A flathead with a lifetime warranty is the cheapest route there!
              The axle nut can be a bitch, even with a breaker bar. Get a LONG one... or find someone with air tools (uslspct helped me with his DeWalt electric... so quick and easy!)

Popping the lower ball joint can be a pain. You'll need to borrow a puller. Be aware that you MIGHT damage the bolt, rendering the joint useless. You might have to replace the joint. If that happens, DEFINITELY get that from Honda. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a pain to change... so be careful and try not to damage it! If the ball joints (any of them) have damaged boots, prepare to replace them right away! Damaged ball joints can cause a serious accident if they fail.

Other than that... that's about it. Not a very difficult job.

Comment

Unstaking the nut is usually not required. Usually I use power tools so thats not an issue. Manually doing it might help but its still gonna go back to its shape so I wouldnt worry about it. But preferably if you can get your hands on a punch that would be better for staking the nut.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yeamans is coming to help me out and I'm glad because I have no idea what you guys are talking about haha. I read the haynes and it seems like one of those things that you won't understand until you do it.. I'll take my axle to advanced if it's going to be in the 75$ range because I don't want to spend much more than that.

I have an electric impact wrench, a pry bar set, and a 4 foot breaker bar that I'll steel from my friend haha.

I might have some honda MTF left over from my fluid change. I also need to get sway bar bushings somewhere, probably honda. I hope I don't brake any of those things like you guys have said to be careful with haha.

Thanks

Comment

I went with Napa. Lifetime warrenty. I was gonna get Honda OEM one, but their warrenty sucks. They have been good so far. Almost the cheapest price around too. They are also brand new, not reman.
                    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Stright Success
                      I went with Napa. Lifetime warrenty. I was gonna get Honda OEM one, but their warrenty sucks. They have been good so far. Almost the cheapest price around too. They are also brand new, not reman.
                      Wow, did you give them your axle? How much was it? There is a napa here but it is reallllly small.

Comment

Originally posted by MyCord
                        Wow, did you give them your axle? How much was it? There is a napa here but it is reallllly small.
                        No, I didn't have to give them a core. But I think you might have to. I think I paid like70 something a piece (or sumum' like that). All together it was under 180, I do remember that.
                        The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                        X